Barrow to Tierra Del Fuego?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by San Remo GT, Aug 24, 2011.

1. San Remo GT

San Remo GT New Member

What advice can you give someone who is planning on a road trip from Barrow to Tierra Del Fuego? If any of you cyclists have ever done this before then how many years/months did it require? What was your experiences etc?

Tags:

2. digibud

digibud New Member

I have two friends who did the opposite. It took them a couple of years but they worked at places along the way. They were European and their bikes had the racks integrated as part of the frame. From their perspective virtually any bolt-on rack was bound to fail at some point. They also used internal gears..11speed rear if I recall correctly. Much more dependable. Their chain also had an enclosure to keep dirt out. I'm sure plenty of folks have used less robust bikes but theirs held up really well. I'd be using 26" Schraeder for sure. A contact person in the states that can get you resupply parts quickly would also be an important thing. They avoided some of the most dangerous Central American areas. Rohloff wsa the hub. Expensive but very dependable and elliminates the most troublesome derailleur issues.