Bars or Horns ?

gravelmuncher

Aug 14, 2003
I'm just about finished my fixie project, and as it turns out I have a choice of bars. I have a set of old KUSUKI chrome drop bars which came off the '82 roadie. I have also been offered an old set of Cinelli chrome TT track bars. Is there anything I should keep in mind when choosing which type? Does the difference only come down to position and comfort ??

gm

I've used both, and I definitely prefer the bullhorns. Some people say you lose hand positions, but I don't think so as you can always rest hands on top or at the end of the horns. You don't have the real low position like on drops, but I never really spent a lot of time in the drops anyway. My 2 cents (may be worth less).

ghostpedal said:
I've used both, and I definitely prefer the bullhorns. Some people say you lose hand positions, but I don't think so as you can always rest hands on top or at the end of the horns. You don't have the real low position like on drops, but I never really spent a lot of time in the drops anyway. My 2 cents (may be worth less).

Cool. The drops in the old bars are really tight, and I don't think I could sit in them comfortably anyway as I have pretty wide hands. Thanks for your small change. :)

gm

if you ride in the city, go with the horns. i just installed some basic nitto flat bullhorns instead of the generic drops that came with my bike and they were just what i needed. yes, it offers less hand positions, but if gives you more center of gravity options. if the auto drivers are anything like they are here(cleveland. go cavs), skidding is less a trick than a riding tactic. plus, you have to admit, they look pretty no-nonsense... just saying...

i could see how drops would be better for longer rides, though.

I rode the drops that came with my frame last year but switched to bull horn this year. I ride a freewheel so i need brakes and thought the reverse lever thing looked really cool. i also did it because i barely used the drop portion and i wanted to cut my weight. i love the TT's, just wish i could find them smaller than 39" wide.