Bars & Stems

igp

New Member
Aug 19, 2004
Hi All,
I'm in the process of changing my flat bar road bike into a drop bar bike and need a little advice. I've recently bought a used set of shimano sora combined shifters for the job and would like to change them over myself. A few questions that I need answered before I buy anything else are

1. Existing bars are 25.4mm must the new drops be exaxtly 25.4mm.
2. Existing stem is 90mm from centre of riser to centre of bars is this an appropriate length for drop bars.
3. Bar width Is there an easy way to determine correct width.
4. What type of bar tape is recommended.
5. I'm pressuming that I will need new cables.

Any other advice would also be much appreciated

igp wrote:
> Hi All,
> I'm in the process of changing my flat bar road bike into a drop bar
> bike and need a little advice. I've recently bought a used set of
> shimano sora combined shifters for the job and would like to change
> them over myself. A few questions that I need answered before I buy
> anything else are
>
> 1. Existing bars are 25.4mm must the new drops be exaxtly 25.4mm.
> 2. Existing stem is 90mm from centre of riser to centre of bars is this
> an appropriate length for drop bars.
> 3. Bar width Is there an easy way to determine correct width.
> 4. What type of bar tape is recommended.
> 5. I'm pressuming that I will need new cables.
>
> Any other advice would also be much appreciated

Can't answer most of those, but I was told that the width of the bars
should be about the same as the width of your shoulders - ie, arms
should be parallel rather than resembling more of a V shape etc.

Certainly was nicer once I'd changed my bars to a narrower (and
therefore closer to my shoulder-width) set.

Bare in mind with the stem reach that your hands will be further forward
comparad with flat bars, due to the shape of the drop bars - this may or
may not be to your liking, it depends if you are comfy where you are (in
which case you might find it a bit of a stretch to be on the
hoods/brakes) or if you want the more stretched out position.

--

Velvet

On 13/12/04 11:51 pm, in article [email protected],
"igp" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi All,
> I'm in the process of changing my flat bar road bike into a drop bar
> bike and need a little advice. I've recently bought a used set of
> shimano sora combined shifters for the job and would like to change
> them over myself. A few questions that I need answered before I buy
> anything else are
>
> 1. Existing bars are 25.4mm must the new drops be exaxtly 25.4mm.

If you are using the same stem then the bar diameter in teh middle must
match.

> 2. Existing stem is 90mm from centre of riser to centre of bars is this
> an appropriate length for drop bars.

Are your arms an appropriate length for drop bars? Time will tell. Some ride
on shorter, some ride on longer. It will do for starters. If you don't like
it you can always change it (easier to change if it is a front loader.)

> 3. Bar width Is there an easy way to determine correct width.

How broad are your shoulders? I like 44, others like 46, some prefer 42. Try
out several sizes and pick the one you like best.

> 4. What type of bar tape is recommended.

Cinelli cork ribbon in a really sick colour.

> 5. I'm pressuming that I will need new cables.

Yes. ANd you will need the other end, the one you normally just cut off and
throw away as the drop bar levers use a different nipple (yes that is what
it is called) to flat bar levers.

> Any other advice would also be much appreciated

You may want a new stem anyway as drop bars tend to be lower than flat bars
and lead to a different riding position. A front loading stem will be a big
benefit here as you can get the new stem on and off the bars without having
to take off tape and levers.

Apply the tape from the end to the middle.

Enjoy!

...d

igp said:
Hi All,
I'm in the process of changing my flat bar road bike into a drop bar bike and need a little advice. I've recently bought a used set of shimano sora combined shifters for the job and would like to change them over myself. A few questions that I need answered before I buy anything else are

1. Existing bars are 25.4mm must the new drops be exaxtly 25.4mm.
2. Existing stem is 90mm from centre of riser to centre of bars is this an appropriate length for drop bars.
3. Bar width Is there an easy way to determine correct width.
4. What type of bar tape is recommended.
5. I'm pressuming that I will need new cables.

Any other advice would also be much appreciated

1. No, you can fit oversize bars if you wish as long as an oversized stem is also used.
2. All depends dear boy. A good rule of thumb is to make sure the front hub is out of sight when riding on the hoods. You can make fine adjustments later on.
3. Depends on the make. Easton and Cinelli measure between the centres of both drops, 3TTT, ITM, Deda measure from outside to outside.
4. Well the most luxurious tape i've used is Stella Azzura's. Just fit some on my winter bike. Very expensive at 12 quid but worth it. Looks great, very grippy (a rubber type of compound is used), comfortable and should wear very well.
5. Yeah it's best to install new cables so everything runs smoothly.

igp wrote:
> Hi All,
> I'm in the process of changing my flat bar road bike into a drop bar
> bike and need a little advice. I've recently bought a used set of
> shimano sora combined shifters for the job and would like to change
> them over myself. A few questions that I need answered before I buy
> anything else are
>
> 1. Existing bars are 25.4mm must the new drops be exaxtly 25.4mm.

I think it's wise to use 25.4 bars with a 25.4 stem but some say a bit of
difference is ok, especially with front-opening stems. But you might want
to change the stem anyway; most decent modern non-oversized bars are 25.8
or 26.0.

> 2. Existing stem is 90mm from centre of riser to centre of bars is
> this an appropriate length for drop bars.

Can be, it's within the normal range, but it depends on your top tube and
you. It's well worth experimenting with two or three stems to find what
feels right.

A "quill converter" can be used if you want to fit a modern ahead stem to
traditional forks & headset. These work well and will increase your
options a lot.

> 3. Bar width Is there an easy way to determine correct width.

Not easy because it's partly personal preference as well as shoulder
width. The most popular widths (for adult men) are now: 44 and 46 cm
(outside to outside). I'm somewhere between average and broad-shouldered
and use both sizes. 46 is good on my racer (good steering, stable when
standing up) but 44 seems more relaxed on the tourer.

~PB

igp said:
Hi All,
I'm in the process of changing my flat bar road bike into a drop bar bike and need a little advice. I've recently bought a used set of shimano sora combined shifters for the job and would like to change them over myself. A few questions that I need answered before I buy anything else are

1. Existing bars are 25.4mm must the new drops be exaxtly 25.4mm.
2. Existing stem is 90mm from centre of riser to centre of bars is this an appropriate length for drop bars.
3. Bar width Is there an easy way to determine correct width.
4. What type of bar tape is recommended.
5. I'm pressuming that I will need new cables.

Any other advice would also be much appreciated

Sorry i misunderstood your question regarding handlebar width. As with stem length you'll just have to try a few different widths to determine what feels most comfortable for you. As other posters have said, using bars the same width as your shoulders is a good starting point. Personally i'm inbetween 44's and 46's and have found using the latter allows me more room to breathe by opening my chest up, they feel better in the drops and 46's enable me to apply more force on the bars while dancing on the pedals uphill.

in message <[email protected]>, igp
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Hi All,
> I'm in the process of changing my flat bar road bike into a drop bar
> bike and need a little advice. I've recently bought a used set of
> shimano sora combined shifters for the job and would like to change
> them over myself. A few questions that I need answered before I buy
> anything else are
>
> 1. Existing bars are 25.4mm must the new drops be exaxtly 25.4mm.

Err... no. Drop bars are a different standard diameter to straight bars,
for some arcane reason. I think the thick bit in the centre where the
stem grips is the same, but to be honest I'm not really sure of this.
You may need to use a shim.

> 2. Existing stem is 90mm from centre of riser to centre of bars is
> this an appropriate length for drop bars.

Depends how big you are. However, if it works with straights, it's
likely to be there or thereabouts with drops. You _might_ need a
shorter one.

> 3. Bar width Is there an easy way to determine correct width.

The metric usually given is 'the width of your shoulders'. Wider may be
better if you do a lot of climbing.

> 4. What type of bar tape is recommended.

I like leather best but it's hard to come by these days. Cork is good.

> 5. I'm pressuming that I will need new cables.

Probably.

> Any other advice would also be much appreciated

If anyone else give you different advice from the above, take it. I'm
still half asleep.

;; Usenet: like distance learning without the learning.

in message <[email protected]>, Pete Biggs
('pwrinkledgrape{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc') wrote:

> Not easy because it's partly personal preference as well as shoulder
> width.  The most popular widths (for adult men) are now: 44 and 46 cm
> (outside to outside).  I'm somewhere between average and
> broad-shouldered and use both sizes.  46 is good on my racer (good
> steering, stable when standing up) but 44 seems more relaxed on the
> tourer.

I have 40cm on my old road bike and 46cm on my new one. I prefer the
narrower set. I'm about 42cm across the shoulders.

However people tell me that narrow bars tend to compress your rib cage a
little (because your arms are held in) which limits chest expansion and
is therefore not so good for climbing.

In the end it boils down to what _you_ feel comfortable with.

;; 'I think we should trust our president in every decision
;; that he makes and we should just support that'
;; Britney Spears of George W Bush, CNN 04:09:03

Simon Brooke wrote:

>> 1. Existing bars are 25.4mm must the new drops be exaxtly 25.4mm.

> Err... no. Drop bars are a different standard diameter to straight
> bars, for some arcane reason. I think the thick bit in the centre
> where the stem grips is the same, but to be honest I'm not really
> sure of this.

They used to be the same, and some cheap or unusual drop bars are still
25.4 mm at the central collar/bulge, but most drops available in the UK
are at least 25.8 now. Most 3T and ITM non-"oversized" are 25.8, Cinelli,
Deda and most others are 26.0. The oversize ones are much larger still
and definitely need a matching stem.

~PB

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 12:42:04 -0000, "Pete Biggs"
<pwrinkledgrape{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

>Simon Brooke wrote:
>
>>> 1. Existing bars are 25.4mm must the new drops be exaxtly 25.4mm.

>> Err... no. Drop bars are a different standard diameter to straight
>> bars, for some arcane reason. I think the thick bit in the centre
>> where the stem grips is the same, but to be honest I'm not really
>> sure of this.

>They used to be the same, and some cheap or unusual drop bars are still
>25.4 mm at the central collar/bulge, but most drops available in the UK
>are at least 25.8 now. Most 3T and ITM non-"oversized" are 25.8,

I may be wrong but I think the bog standard ITM Europas come as
25.4mm[1]. Having said this, when I swapped over straight bars for
drops I went for the Ahead adapter option and used a front loading
Ahead stem (25.4) and a lovely pair of 3T Formas (25.8). This settup
lasted me well for a couple of years

I go for narrower bars my self (42cm centre - centre)

JT
[1] I have just looked a few online suppliers and non had the
measurement specified :-(

Remove the singers of Spam before replying

"igp" <[email protected]> wrote

> Hi All,
> I'm in the process of changing my flat bar road bike into a drop bar

I would be interested to know your reasoning.

> 2. Existing stem is 90mm from centre of riser to centre of bars is this
> an appropriate length for drop bars.

Is this a so-called "training" bike? Since they just slap flat bars on an
otherwise normal frame it could simply be too short.

For flat bars I use a frame with 600mm seat to steerer plus a 120mm stem
(ie, mountain bike). My drop bars are on a standard 560 frame with 90mm
stem. I would like to put flats on but how do I find 70mm?