Bart Wellens gets one back for us

El Loto said:
He kicked a spectator that was giving abuse. I agree with him saying: "I think that as a rider I don't have to put up with everything."

Nice shot too.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2005/dec05/dec19news
http://www.cyclingnews.com/crossphotos.php?id=photos/2005/dec05/overijse05/wellens-001
Strange,,, Belgie's throwing beer on a Belgian rider ? You would have thought the **** for brains spectators would have hindered Boom and Knegt instead, they were only 16 and 28 seconds behind and they were Dutch dam it.:D :D :D

Lw

lwedge said:
Strange,,, Belgie's throwing beer on a Belgian rider ? You would have thought the **** for brains spectators would have hindered Boom and Knegt instead, they were only 16 and 28 seconds behind and they were Dutch dam it.:D :D :D

Lw

Dont underestimate the Flanders/Wallonia rivalry they really do hate each other. If you tried to speak French in flanders the chances are you'd be ignores. Likewise if you spoke Flemish in Wallonia.

I'd go as far as to say the Flemish would think they have more afinity with the Dutch than the Wallons in many cases as they (virtually) share the same language.

Strange world aint it?

Chris_E said:
Dont underestimate the Flanders/Wallonia rivalry they really do hate each other. If you tried to speak French in flanders the chances are you'd be ignores. Likewise if you spoke Flemish in Wallonia.

I'd go as far as to say the Flemish would think they have more afinity with the Dutch than the Wallons in many cases as they (virtually) share the same language.

Strange world aint it?
Thanks Chris for the Belgian sociology lesson. I had no idea it was that sensitive there. A good friend and neighbor of mine is from Switzerland and it amazes me on how culturally diverse he is.

Lw

I think its pretty obvious that Wellens' foot had just slipped out of the pedal and this was all just a terrible accident.

Anyone want to lay odds that the spectator sue's for injuries and, mental damage?

Chance3290 said:
I think its pretty obvious that Wellens' foot had just slipped out of the pedal and this was all just a terrible accident.

Anyone want to lay odds that the spectator sue's for injuries and, mental damage?

That was deliberate all right, the look on his face and the fact that he was riding on asphalt seem to suggest so. You'd have to have had a major mechanical to warrent losing your footing to that extent. Anyhow Wellens as good as admitted intent in the post race interview.

Wonder which guy he was aiming for?

Personally i would settle for an apology and a signed world champ jersey...lol

Chris_E said:
That was deliberate all right, the look on his face and the fact that he was riding on asphalt seem to suggest so. You'd have to have had a major mechanical to warrent losing your footing to that extent. Anyhow Wellens as good as admitted intent in the post race interview.
Wonder which guy he was aiming for?
Personally i would settle for an apology and a signed world champ jersey...lol
Wellens was suffering from PTS syndrome and he was confused during that interview;) .
As far as the apology and jersey, nowadays after an incident like this, the first phone call the 'kickee' will make is to the law firm of Dewey, Cheatam, and Howe.

it think that if you taunt a sportsman then he is entitled to kick you in the nuts...shouldnt be a legal matter...

Chance3290 said:
Wellens was suffering from PTS syndrome and he was confused during that interview;) .
As far as the apology and jersey, nowadays after an incident like this, the first phone call the 'kickee' will make is to the law firm of Dewey, Cheatam, and Howe.

MountainPro said:
it think that if you taunt a sportsman then he is entitled to kick you in the nuts...shouldnt be a legal matter...
Spilling store-bought hot coffee in your lap shouldn't be a legal matter. Your child being scared by a store-Santa shouldn't be a legal matter.
Welcome to planet earth. If you're not a third-world country overrun by rats, you're a first-world country overrun by lawyers.

MountainPro said:
Not so sure about that, but this incident went beyond just taunting:
"For four laps, I had mud and beer thrown at me," Wellens told Belgian Cyclo-cross.info.
If you're going to huck a beer at someone, you've got to expect that he's going to take a swing at you.

artmichalek said:
Not so sure about that, but this incident went beyond just taunting:
"For four laps, I had mud and beer thrown at me," Wellens told Belgian Cyclo-cross.info.
If you're going to huck a beer at someone, you've got to expect that he's going to take a swing at you.
At the very least, you give him a smack for wasting the beer, the moron.

Stella Artois? ...criminal...

the boot in the baws is entirely justified...

Chance3290 said:
At the very least, you give him a smack for wasting the beer, the moron.

I do blame Wellens for one thing. Look at the picture, he's facing forward. If every time you pass a certain point, someone throws beer on you, after the second go-around you should be facing the beer-thrower with you mouth open.

MountainPro said:
Stella Artois? ...criminal...
MP, you're turning 2000 !!! One more to go. Make it a good one.;)

Chance3290 said:
I do blame Wellens for one thing. Look at the picture, he's facing forward. If every time you pass a certain point, someone throws beer on you, after the second go-around you should be facing the beer-thrower with you mouth open.
Very good point you make.... and if he were to get a mouth full of a Belgian Lambic he wouldn't need to waste a Power Gel. Good point Chancey.

Lw

Chance3290 said:
That depends on whether he was throwing just the beer or the bottle as well. :eek:

Edit: This just in from www.cyclingnews.com

Wellens disqualified after hitting spectator

After an altercation with a spectator at Sunday's Vlaamse Druivenveldrit in Overijse, Belgium, Bart Wellens has been disqualified following a meeting of the UCI and the three race commissaires. Wellens won the race, and although it appeared he may have been disqualified on the day, was allowed to keep the win.

But after examination of the case it was decided that Wellens' actions, although prompted by the insults of a spectator constituted an offence strong enough to lead to his disqualification. He may also be fined after a meeting of the Disciplinary Commission decides whether the incident warrants a financial penalty.