base layer tops

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Andy Wiggans, Jan 26, 2003.

  1. Andy Wiggans

    Andy Wiggans Guest

    Anyone have any tips for dead cheap 'wicking' t-shirts and long sleeved tops? I've got loads from
    running and climbing, but Mrs Andy is still cycling in cotton - and suffering chilly-fits when
    she stops.

    Any good/cheap deals? I've seen regatta tops (which aren't the best, but I'm sure they'll 'work')
    for about a tenner.

    andy

    Tags:

  2. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "andy wiggans" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Anyone have any tips for dead cheap 'wicking' t-shirts and long sleeved tops? I've got loads from
    > running and climbing, but Mrs Andy is still cycling in cotton - and suffering chilly-fits when
    > she stops.
    >
    > Any good/cheap deals? I've seen regatta tops (which aren't the best, but I'm sure they'll 'work')
    > for about a tenner.
    >
    > andy

    TK Max always have good cheap 'labelled' stuff. My current base layer is Adidas 'Climalite' short
    sleeved football tops, work great, cost a tenner hope that helps, Dave.

  3. Graham

    Graham Guest

    "andy wiggans" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Anyone have any tips for dead cheap 'wicking' t-shirts and long sleeved tops? I've got loads from
    > running and climbing, but Mrs Andy is still cycling in cotton - and suffering chilly-fits when
    > she stops.
    >
    > Any good/cheap deals? I've seen regatta tops (which aren't the best, but I'm sure they'll 'work')
    > for about a tenner.
    >
    > andy

    Not cheap really but probably good quality and better in the long run !

    http://www.prendas.co.uk/detailstype.asp?typ_ID=22

    Graham

  4. On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 13:30:42 -0500, andy wiggans wrote:

    > Anyone have any tips for dead cheap 'wicking' t-shirts and long sleeved tops? I've got loads from
    > running and climbing, but Mrs Andy is still cycling in cotton - and suffering chilly-fits when
    > she stops.
    >
    > Any good/cheap deals? I've seen regatta tops (which aren't the best, but I'm sure they'll 'work')
    > for about a tenner.

    I've had immense success this year with polypro base layers (not cheap at about $30 US each, but
    definitely worth the money) with lightweight wool long-sleeve Ts on top. You may be able to find the
    light wool Ts at a discount: I bought two from Sierra Trading Post, allegedly seconds, but if there
    are flaws they're beyond my ability to find them, for $9.95 each. They're Canadian. So are the ones
    Rivendell sells - perhaps they all come from Canada.

    I realize these are US prices and US suppliers, and I apologize for the lack of direct help. But I
    can hardly stop raving about how great those lightweight wool longsleeve Ts are. On cold days I've
    used two of them, and have been prepared to wear the 3rd as well, but haven't needed them.

    Cotton should be totally out of the question. If it gets cold enough, cotton could be downright
    lethal. It doesn't take long for hypothermia to bring a person down. I've seen it first hand on a
    bicycle ride. We got soaked due to a sudden downpour as the temps dropped from the mid 40s down to
    the mid 30s - 2 miles from the ferry dock. One woman was so far gone in hypothermia by the time
    she got to the ferry she was no longer able to speak coherently, did not recognize her husband,
    and violently fought off all attempts to help her. Wool and polypro both can keep you warm when
    they're wet.

  5. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 18:30:42 -0000, "andy wiggans" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Anyone have any tips for dead cheap 'wicking' t-shirts and long sleeved tops?

    Plan A is to buy last year's team colours from the clearance bin; plan B is to go for plain vanilla
    stuff - I have a Sub Zero brand Tactel long-sleeve undershirt in plain blue which is exceptional, it
    cost I think about £15 (my wife bought it for me) but that was also in a sale.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  6. Phil Bixby

    Phil Bixby Guest

    I've been using Gill baselayer tops and they wick like nobody's business - Wiggle are doing them
    for £15.99.

    Phil Bixby York, UK

    "andy wiggans" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Anyone have any tips for dead cheap 'wicking' t-shirts and long sleeved tops? I've got loads from
    > running and climbing, but Mrs Andy is still cycling in cotton - and suffering chilly-fits when
    > she stops.
    >
    > Any good/cheap deals? I've seen regatta tops (which aren't the best, but I'm sure they'll 'work')
    > for about a tenner.
    >
    > andy

  7. "andy wiggans" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Anyone have any tips for dead cheap 'wicking' t-shirts and long sleeved tops? I've got loads from
    > running and climbing, but Mrs Andy is still cycling in cotton - and suffering chilly-fits when
    > she stops.
    >
    > Any good/cheap deals? I've seen regatta tops (which aren't the best, but I'm sure they'll 'work')
    > for about a tenner.
    >
    > andy

    I 've got various thermals, HH, Rohan, Polaris, sub-4 and also a Regatta
    one. I wouldn't say the Regatta is the best (HH or Rohan... can't decide)
    but it's miles better than cotton, is a ladies fit , a reasonable colour and
    looks ok worn on its own. IMHO It does a good job for a reasonable price

    Julia

  8. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "andy wiggans" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Anyone have any tips for dead cheap 'wicking' t-shirts and long sleeved tops? I've got loads from
    > running and climbing, but Mrs Andy is still cycling in cotton - and suffering chilly-fits when
    > she stops.
    >
    > Any good/cheap deals? I've seen regatta tops (which aren't the best, but I'm sure they'll 'work')
    > for about a tenner.
    >
    > andy

    Helly Hansen 'Lifa' vests. Dunno if they still sell them, mine are years old and still going
    strong :)

    Dave.

  9. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    "andy wiggans" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Anyone have any tips for dead cheap 'wicking' t-shirts and long sleeved tops? I've got loads from
    > running and climbing, but Mrs Andy is still cycling in cotton - and suffering chilly-fits when
    > she stops.
    >
    > Any good/cheap deals? I've seen regatta tops (which aren't the best, but I'm sure they'll 'work')
    > for about a tenner.

    For us, value = price/use and by that metric the Lowe Alpine thermal layers come out top. Polypro is
    cheaper but is a bit less comfortable and much smellier in our experience (I think the `smelly
    helly' effect is well known although it reacts to different people in different ways). Some of our
    LA tops must be approaching 10 years old and they get worn just about every day.

    James

  10. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    "andy wiggans" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Anyone have any tips for dead cheap 'wicking' t-shirts and long sleeved tops? I've got loads from
    > running and climbing, but Mrs Andy is still cycling in cotton - and suffering chilly-fits when
    > she stops.
    >
    > Any good/cheap deals? I've seen regatta tops (which aren't the best, but I'm sure they'll 'work')
    > for about a tenner.

    For us, value = price/use and by that metric the Lowe Alpine thermal layers come out top. Polypro is
    cheaper but is a bit less comfortable and much smellier in our experience (I think the `smelly
    helly' effect is well known although it reacts to different people in different ways). Some of our
    LA tops must be approaching 10 years old and they get worn just about every day.

    James

  11. "andy wiggans" <[email protected]> wrote
    > Anyone have any tips for dead cheap 'wicking' t-shirts and long sleeved tops? I've got loads from
    > running and climbing, but Mrs Andy is still cycling in cotton - and suffering chilly-fits when
    > she stops.
    >
    > Any good/cheap deals? I've seen regatta tops (which aren't the best, but I'm sure they'll 'work')
    > for about a tenner.

    If you want cheap, head into your nearest outdoor shop and get North Cape Coolmax tops.

    But this is really not what I would recommend. While these North Cape tops are OK when new, pretty
    rapidly they start to pill and then you're stuck with something that can *only* be used as a base
    layer cos they look so awful. Instead, I recommend Lowe Alpine DryFlo tops. They are very nice
    looking when new, as they have a nice textured look to the cloth that I really like. And more
    importantly they stay nice looking, so you're willing to wear them just as plain T-shirts, while
    walking and such. They also make excellent travelwear, because they are so light, take up so little
    space in your bag, and don't crease. They are also available in a woman's cut, but I buy the men's
    version because I find women's tops tend to be a bit short in a arm and torso. However your lady may
    prefer the women's cut!

    So my advice is to spend a bit more for the Mrs and get her something she'll appreciate in lots of
    situations for many years to come.

    -Myra

  12. "andy wiggans" <[email protected]> wrote
    > Anyone have any tips for dead cheap 'wicking' t-shirts and long sleeved tops? I've got loads from
    > running and climbing, but Mrs Andy is still cycling in cotton - and suffering chilly-fits when
    > she stops.
    >
    > Any good/cheap deals? I've seen regatta tops (which aren't the best, but I'm sure they'll 'work')
    > for about a tenner.

    If you want cheap, head into your nearest outdoor shop and get North Cape Coolmax tops.

    But this is really not what I would recommend. While these North Cape tops are OK when new, pretty
    rapidly they start to pill and then you're stuck with something that can *only* be used as a base
    layer cos they look so awful. Instead, I recommend Lowe Alpine DryFlo tops. They are very nice
    looking when new, as they have a nice textured look to the cloth that I really like. And more
    importantly they stay nice looking, so you're willing to wear them just as plain T-shirts, while
    walking and such. They also make excellent travelwear, because they are so light, take up so little
    space in your bag, and don't crease. They are also available in a woman's cut, but I buy the men's
    version because I find women's tops tend to be a bit short in a arm and torso. However your lady may
    prefer the women's cut!

    So my advice is to spend a bit more for the Mrs and get her something she'll appreciate in lots of
    situations for many years to come.

    -Myra

  13. Terry

    Terry Guest

    > I realize these are US prices and US suppliers, and I apologize for the lack of direct help. But I
    > can hardly stop raving about how great those lightweight wool longsleeve Ts are.

    I live near the smedley shop in derbyshire and got some thin soft wool LS T's some years ago.I
    absolutely agree they are the best.Problem is they don't wear owell and need careful washing and if
    you pay full price they must be expensive. mine were tests and rejects from a bargain bin and some
    are now more hole than shirt. TerryJ

  14. Terry

    Terry Guest

    > I realize these are US prices and US suppliers, and I apologize for the lack of direct help. But I
    > can hardly stop raving about how great those lightweight wool longsleeve Ts are.

    I live near the smedley shop in derbyshire and got some thin soft wool LS T's some years ago.I
    absolutely agree they are the best.Problem is they don't wear owell and need careful washing and if
    you pay full price they must be expensive. mine were tests and rejects from a bargain bin and some
    are now more hole than shirt. TerryJ

  15. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    andy wiggans <[email protected]> wrote:

    : Any good/cheap deals? I've seen regatta tops (which aren't the best, but I'm sure they'll 'work')
    : for about a tenner.

    M&S own brand termals. About 7 quid for a short-sleeve top. Excellent.

    Arthur

    Lord Lester

  16. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Myra VanInwegen wrote:

    > But this is really not what I would recommend. While these North Cape tops are OK when new, pretty
    > rapidly they start to pill and then you're stuck with something that can *only* be used as a base
    > layer cos they look so awful. Instead, I recommend Lowe Alpine DryFlo tops.

    <snip>

    I like those too. But I also own (and use) various others which are just as smart, functional and
    comfy. So have a look at, for example, the various offerings from Sub Zero, Berghaus, Mountain
    Equipment, Patagonia, Paramo etc. and try them on for comfort against your skin and comfort from
    shape: they're all a little different in both respects (yesterday's ride I was in a Paramo
    reversible shirt, which I think is wondrous, someone else I know found a test sample rather itchy
    and sent it back: everyone gets on differently with different stuff).

    One thing to look carefully at is back length: I find, for example, on my back and on an upright
    bike with a crouching riding position, that my Lowe top could do with being a bit longer (my Sub
    Zero one works better there). My back may be longer relative to my size for Lowe than a notional
    other wearer, of course, but this is a good reason to try stuff on rather than choosing from a
    picture in a catalogue.

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  17. Arthur Clune wrote:
    > andy wiggans <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Any good/cheap deals? I've seen regatta tops (which aren't the best, but I'm sure they'll 'work')
    >> for about a tenner.
    >
    > M&S own brand termals. About 7 quid for a short-sleeve top. Excellent.

    Don't suppose you could have a peep on the label and see where they're made, could you? I need
    something non-cotton, and would much rather it came from somewhere where reasonable working
    conditions can be assumed. M&S are normally pretty good at this, but they have got worse recently.

  18. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Peter Clinch wrote:
    > One thing to look carefully at is back length: I find, for example, on my back and on an upright
    > bike with a crouching riding position, that my Lowe top could do with being a bit longer (my Sub
    > Zero one works better there). My back may be longer relative to my size for Lowe than a notional
    > other wearer, of course, but this is a good reason to try stuff on rather than choosing from a
    > picture in a catalogue.

    ...Also a good reason to opt for clothing specifically designed for cycling as it tends to be cut
    longer at the back, eg............

    I recommend Parrot base layers. Thin "Aquaduct" polyester material - dries very quicklly, and won't
    cause overheating like some thicker and tighter garments can. If need more warmth, best to keep
    adding layers on top rather than using a warmer base layer. Long-sleeve versions have exceptionally
    long sleeves - which I like (to keep wrists covered), but may be too long for some.
    http://www.parrot-online.com/ - not cheap but last years. Can be returned for a refund/replacement
    if don't like.

    I'm also very pleased with the Briko undervest I bought. Can't remember what it's called exactly,
    but it's a traditional sleeveless string vest design but made from Coolmax. Great for spring and
    autumn (and summer nights) when it's too warm for a normal base layer but still cool enough to want
    something under a jersey.

    ~PB

  19. Andy

    Andy Guest

    > I recommend Parrot base layers. Thin "Aquaduct" polyester material - dries very quicklly, and
    > won't cause overheating like some thicker and tighter garments can. If need more warmth, best to
    > keep adding layers on top rather than using a warmer base layer. Long-sleeve versions have
    > exceptionally long sleeves - which I like (to keep wrists covered), but may be too long for some.
    > http://www.parrot-online.com/ - not cheap but last years. Can be returned for a refund/replacement
    > if don't like.
    >
    > I'm also very pleased with the Briko undervest I bought. Can't remember what it's called exactly,
    > but it's a traditional sleeveless string vest design but made from Coolmax. Great for spring and
    > autumn (and summer nights) when it's too warm for a normal base layer but still cool enough to
    > want something under a jersey.
    >
    > ~PB

    Personally I found Parrot's aquaduct base layers uncomfortable, particularly prone to odours after
    just one outing and generally crap compared to stuff from the various "outdoorsy" manufacturers that
    I wear for hillwalking & backpacking which I can happily wear (& sleep in) daily for a week.

    However, I tried (unsuccessfully) to find one in a more noticeable, high visibility yellow for road
    biking the other day. I didn't expect to find a Lowe Alpine or Berghaus one but I was surprised not
    to find any in the bike shops. Anyone know of any? Perhaps running shops do them.

    What's Parrot's transpire fabric like compared to aquaduct?

  20. Chris French

    Chris French Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Pete Biggs
    <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> writes
    >Andy wrote:
    >
    >> and generally crap compared to stuff from the various "outdoorsy" manufacturers that I wear for
    >> hillwalking & backpacking which I can happily wear (& sleep
    >> in) daily for a week.
    >
    >Are they as thin and slim, and long enough at the back & sleeves?

    Mostly the ones I have are yes, I think they are wise to the fact that people sue them for various
    activities. Though I do have an old (>10 years) Berghaus top that has rather short arms.

    >> However, I tried (unsuccessfully) to find one in a more noticeable, high visibility yellow for
    >> road biking the other day. I didn't expect to find a Lowe Alpine or Berghaus one but I was
    >> surprised not to find any in the bike shops. Anyone know of any? Perhaps running shops do them.
    >
    >I think that's because bike shops expect you to wear more than just a base layer for cycling - like
    >a jersey (on it's own or on top of base layer).

    I don't generally use cycling jerseys - I have one short sleeved one. I don't normally use the rear
    pockets and find no other benefits for me in using them compared to plain base layers. I normally
    have at least a windproof over the top in cool weather anyway, though in warmer weather I use a base
    layer T shirt as my normal cycling wear
    --
    Chris French, Leeds