Base Miles

Raoul Duke6

Sep 30, 2005
I have been trying to do some base miles lately. I'm pushing a very easy gear at a high cadence. Most of the time it feels like my legs aren't even moving, but I look down and i'm pushing a higher cadence then ever before. It's almost like momentum is turning the gear. Does anyone have an idea if i'm pushing way too easy of a gear? Or if this feeling is natural?

Thank You

Raoul Duke6 said:
I have been trying to do some base miles lately. I'm pushing a very easy gear at a high cadence. Most of the time it feels like my legs aren't even moving, but I look down and i'm pushing a higher cadence then ever before. It's almost like momentum is turning the gear. Does anyone have an idea if i'm pushing way too easy of a gear? Or if this feeling is natural?

Thank You
I'd say yes, you're pushing too easy of a gear.

You're right, momentum is pretty much pushing the gear.

Yes, that's the natural feeling when you're pushing an easy gear.

Whether or not you're pushing too easy a gear is difficult to determine from a post. What are your goals? Do you intend to ride centuries or just short jaunts? Are you a masher or a spinner? Do you get burned quickly when you shift to the next higher gear? My recommendation for relatively flat terrain is to keep your cadence at 90 to 120 rpm. I sometimes like spinning at 140 RPM for short stretches just to develop my spin. I know I'm spinning to fast when my hips start to rock. If you're comfortable that's usually a good sign, especially if you want to pile the miles and are not a racer.
Raoul Duke6 said:

Thank You

You need to make sure you're riding at the right intensity level - high cadence alone doesn't cut it. Your breathing should be deep and rhythmic, but conversation is still possible. I'd say you should start to notice some sensation of weariness in your legs after an hour or more. If you are monitoring your effort with either a HR monitor or Power meter, then make sure you're working in the correct zone.