Base Miles

tdl123321

Mar 26, 2006
What are your thoughts on "base miles." While, I am still very new to cycling it seems some swear by them, while others dismiss them as wasted time. What are your thoughts?

tdl123321 said:
What are your thoughts on "base miles." While, I am still very new to cycling it seems some swear by them, while others dismiss them as wasted time. What are your thoughts?
Personally, I dismiss them as wasted time, although others seem to swear by them. ;)

I think part of the problem is that the term 'base miles', like 'tempo', 'threshold' and others, are tossed about without much regard for consistent use and meaning. While most people have probably heard or used the terms themselves, there doesn't seem to be much agreement on what they really mean.

Are you referring to long-slow duration (LSD), or some other kind of general training which simply happens at the beginning of the training season in preparation for more specific training later?

If you're new to cycling, base miles isn't a bad thing. A lot of the conversation about base miles is in reference to people who ride a lot every year and don't really take the winter off. In that contect I agree they're a waste. But if you've just started then they're not going to hurt at all.

What are your goals?

normZurawski said:
If you're new to cycling, base miles isn't a bad thing. A lot of the conversation about base miles is in reference to people who ride a lot every year and don't really take the winter off. In that contect I agree they're a waste. But if you've just started then they're not going to hurt at all.

What are your goals?
Yes, I am new to cycling, been riding since Feb. Several of the guys around here seem to talk about building a "base" in the winter and then doing intervals and more serious drills come spring.

My goals- well I'm 30 years old, just started cycling, so I know I'm never going to be a big time racer or anything. However, I did ride my first Century a couple weeks ago(fairly tough course) and I'd love to blow that time away next year. If I really really improve then I would consider riding in the local criterium next year(I realize there no chance of placing, but it would be fun none the less. But, mostly my goal is simply to train efficently, improve my overall state of fitness, and become the best cyclist I can, given the limited time I have to train.

tdl123321 said:
Yes, I am new to cycling, been riding since Feb. Several of the guys around here seem to talk about building a "base" in the winter and then doing intervals and more serious drills come spring.

My goals- well I'm 30 years old, just started cycling, so I know I'm never going to be a big time racer or anything. However, I did ride my first Century a couple weeks ago(fairly tough course) and I'd love to blow that time away next year. If I really really improve then I would consider riding in the local criterium next year(I realize there no chance of placing, but it would be fun none the less. But, mostly my goal is simply to train efficently, improve my overall state of fitness, and become the best cyclist I can, given the limited time I have to train.
Congrats on your first century. I was director of our club century here on Sept 16, and can tell you nothing beats talking to a first-time century rider right after they finish the event. It's a cycling milestone most of us don't forget.

At age 30, you're the right age to start Masters Racing. But if you don't get into that, the goal of improving your century time each year is a good one. One book I'd recommend is "Long Distance Cycling" by Pavelka and Burke. The concept of base miles is discussed and included as part of the training schedules.

But don't think you need to have a structured training program to make progress. Even if you just go out and ride with a local club or with buddies, you'll likely be able to cut minutes off the goal century each year. Learning to enjoy riding is the main thing.

dhk2 said:
Congrats on your first century. I was director of our club century here on Sept 16, and can tell you nothing beats talking to a first-time century rider right after tChey finish the event. It's a cycling milestone most of us don't forget.

At age 30, you're the right age to start Masters Racing. But if you don't get into that, the goal of improving your century time each year is a good one. One book I'd recommend is "Long Distance Cycling" by Pavelka and Burke. The concept of base miles is discussed and included as part of the training schedules.

But don't think you need to have a structured training program to make progress. Even if you just go out and ride with a local club or with buddies, you'll likely be able to cut minutes off the goal century each year. Learning to enjoy riding is the main thing.
Thanks for the book tip and the Congrats on the century. Yes, that was a day I want soon forget. As far as learning to enjoy riding- that is one aspect I have mastered. Several of the guys at the local club ride in the masters category, so a little extra power would make the club rides a little more enjoyable for me as well. Thanks for all your help.

tdl123321 said:

Personally I would try to put together a training plan of some sort. You can look at books by Friel, Carmichael, and Burke to help with that. The Friel bible will give you a good structure, but it's a bit detailed and some find it overwhelming. Also, I would his food advice.

You can surely get better by just riding though. Maybe throw in a group ride every week to see how you're progressing. Another variable is how much you want to put into it and how serious you want to take it.

Base mile are meant to get your body ready for hard training. If you're just starting, your muscles, joints, ligaments, knees etc are meant to aclimate and strengthen these is preparation to the stresses that come from serious cycling. Your butt will also get used to the hours in the saddle over this base training. Starting vigorous cycling with out your body being pre-pared is a recipe for injurying yourself. You should also have a stretching program in place for yourself. That also may sound like a waste of time but it is not. I stretch for about 10-15 mins every night before going to bed.

Injuries will not necessarily show up on one or two rides. Some of these develope over a longer time, say weeks or months. By that time it's too late and then you find your self trying figure out what happened. You'll soon be posting asking why you got hurt.