Base Sirrus to Base Roubaix - a step too far?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by liamo, Aug 17, 2005.

1. liamo

liamo New Member

Started back cycling last year, and after 300km on a Giant Cypress FS, bought a base Sirrus '04 June last year - over 2500km of recreational cycling later (yup I'm a light user - 40-70 km runs in Wicklow most weekends), I am looking to change - spent 2 weeks using a rental '03 Commencal Colt in the Drome and so I want the drop handlebars to go with the lycra - I'm very tempted by the base Roubaix, which is about €1700 (here in Ireland) as I have read good things about it and I have loved the Sirrus but it's a step up of over €1K and I am unsure if I can justify it to myself- What other options for a comfy bike for a 36 yrold 95kg guy?

Cheers

Tags:

2. NSM3

NSM3 New Member

I stepped up from a Sirrus Elite (£600) to a Roubaix Elite carbon (£1,400 UK spec) after only 1500 miles and haven't looked back. I've even upgraded the wheels after only 1500 miles to SL2's and I only do recreational riding like yourself. If you can afford it - why justify it to anyone (least of all people who tell you you don't need that level of bike for your experience/usage/lack of TdF race winning potential etc!) including yourself - Just Do It!

BTW - 46yr old - 89kg

3. rockitj

rockitj New Member

No, it's not a step too far. Go for it, you'll be glad you did. I went from a Sirrus Elite to a Roubaix Comp and have no regrets. The Roubaix was more than I was looking to spend at the time, but I love the bike. I still use the Sirrus for commuting and ride the Roubaix after work and on weekends. Good luck!

4. WP33

WP33 New Member

If you've got the cash, go for the Roubaix. You'll like the ride quality a lot. Very comfortable bikes. I've put about 1100-1200 miles on mine in the last couple months and nary a complaint.

5. liamo

liamo New Member

Thanks to all of you for your advice - I have been to LBS and am enquiring as to availability of a nice shiny Roubaix