Base Training Power Session ideas

Fraggle

Jul 2, 2006
Hi All, I've been reading your forum for a while and have finally been able to get a powertap hub to help with my training.

If possible I'd like some ideas on training sessions for the next 12 weeks of base. Your input and experience would be appreciated.

Some background.
- I've just come back to the bike after a year off.
- I've been building up the hours and am at 10 per week.
- I completed my first FTP test 4 weeks ago which was 228.
- Before the year off I was a 600 hour a year rider.
- I'm reading the cyclist training bible at the moment and training and Racing with a power meter.
- I'm 40 years old and 70kg
- My limiter is strength endurance. My stength is climbing. (I get smashed on the flats buy the bigger guys)

My first planned week would look like this.
12 hours
Monday - Day Off
Tuesday - 2 - Hours (higher Intensity)
Wednesday - 45 min or 1 1/2 Hours (Rollers or Flat Spin)
Thrusday - 2 - 2 1/2 Hours (higher Intensity)
Friday - 1 1/2 Hours (medium Intensity)
Saturday - Group Ride - 3 hours (usually tempo)
Sunday - Coffee Shop Run or Occassional Race 1 1/2hours

This would be the first week of Base 1 second Week is 14.5 hours third is 16 hours.

Thanks

I thought climbing IS strenght endurance? At least shorter steeper climbs..

Some including myself recommend long, moderate climbs a the beginning of the season along with rolling miles. Intense strength training and hard intervals later depending on the goals and the individual.

Originally Posted by Fraggle .

Hi All, I've been reading your forum for a while and have finally been able to get a powertap hub to help with my training.

If possible I'd like some ideas on training sessions for the next 12 weeks of base. Your input and experience would be appreciated.

Some background.
- I've just come back to the bike after a year off.
- I've been building up the hours and am at 10 per week.
- I completed my first FTP test 4 weeks ago which was 228.
- Before the year off I was a 600 hour a year rider.
- I'm reading the cyclist training bible at the moment and training and Racing with a power meter.
- I'm 40 years old and 70kg
- My limiter is strength endurance. My stength is climbing. (I get smashed on the flats buy the bigger guys)

My first planned week would look like this.
12 hours
Monday - Day Off
Tuesday - 2 - Hours (higher Intensity)
Wednesday - 45 min or 1 1/2 Hours (Rollers or Flat Spin)
Thrusday - 2 - 2 1/2 Hours (higher Intensity)
Friday - 1 1/2 Hours (medium Intensity)
Saturday - Group Ride - 3 hours (usually tempo)
Sunday - Coffee Shop Run or Occassional Race 1 1/2hours

This would be the first week of Base 1 second Week is 14.5 hours third is 16 hours.

Thanks

If your weakness is muscular endurance, i recommend mixing in a couple of low cadence workouts (60-65rpm) in the tempo zone a couple of days a week. 20minute intervals will really start to wear on you. these force you to create a lot of torque and the muscles tire and fatigue from this. you will get better and be able to go longer after doing these for a few weeks. i post more training advice at my blog allanrego.com