Base training question for next season.....avoid Zone 2 for non-recovery days?

awilki01

Sep 20, 2011
I know I have been posting tons of question, but this forum is a gold mine for me. I was over a the Training Peaks forums and I rarely got answers. It's so active over here.

On page 49 of the 'Training and Racing with a Power Meter' book, there is a chart showing the subsequent adaptations from training at various power levels. I've been training for a year now, and was considering possibly focusing on Zone 3 and the occasional Sweet Spot Training during my early base phases. Zone 2 just doesn't seem to do much when compared to Zone 3. Since I already have what I feel is quite a bit of Zone 2 in me, does this plan seem sound? I would use Zone 1 and 2 for easy/rest days. Like many of you, I have a full-time job and if I could go out and ride hours at a time during the week, Zone 2 may make sense. But, if all I can do is typically 10-12 hours a week, I was considering the Zone 3 and SST training for base. As I get get into higher base periods, I would slowly incorporate more of the SST and sub-threshold/threshold training.

Thoughts/advice/opinions?

Thanks in advance,
Adam