Baseball training suffers from the same ills as cycling.

kmavm

May 16, 2005
From **** Mills' blog about coaching baseball pitchers (http://www.pitchingrebel.com/dick_mills_the_pitching_r/2005/07/former_professi.html):
If a parent or player wants to get good pitching instruction then they should seek out a former professional pitcher. Is this true or false? More than likely it is false. But why?

Because when you get advice from a former professional pitcher you will more than likely get his version of how to do it that he has learned from his coaches, in his organization which is their version of how to do it which was passed down to them from their coaches when they played.

Little of that coaching dogma is varified using evidence.
He's saying what I wish I could say as well about cycling coaching, but in almost as different an athletic endeavor as it's possible to imagine. Cycling is almost a pure endurance sport, while baseball pitching is almost a pure skill sport, and yet both disciplines carry with them a heavy burden of tradition, history, and young people wasting years following in the "footsteps" of pros with whom they have almost nothing in common. The blog is completely engrossing if you, like me, are appalled at the state of the art in retail cycling coaching.

kmavm said:
From **** Mills' blog about coaching baseball pitchers (http://www.pitchingrebel.com/dick_mills_the_pitching_r/2005/07/former_professi.html):
He's saying what I wish I could say as well about cycling coaching, but in almost as different an athletic endeavor as it's possible to imagine. Cycling is almost a pure endurance sport, while baseball pitching is almost a pure skill sport, and yet both disciplines carry with them a heavy burden of tradition, history, and young people wasting years following in the "footsteps" of pros with whom they have almost nothing in common. The blog is completely engrossing if you, like me, are appalled at the state of the art in retail cycling coaching.

Thankfully, not all coaches believe in tradition for the sake of tradition.

Ric "busting the myths, and bucking tradition!"