basebuilding power loss expectations

grom

Dec 30, 2004
with the season over and some time off how much power as %TT power would you expect to lose if you took 3 weeks off and did nothing at all.

~5% from a high fitness level. Less from an average fitness level (~3%). Just a guess.

frenchyge said:
~5% from a high fitness level. Less from an average fitness level (~3%). Just a guess.

I think it would be closer to 15-25%...

while i would suggest avoiding "nothing at all" just because an easy spin is so nice off season, i think the most important factor here is preparing the organism for next season base building, and if this means a drop in power, do not sweat it. power is thought to be more trainable, and quickly responding than endurance by many.
greg lemond did advocate sprint training in the off season, this will offset any power loss soon enuff...

grom said:
with the season over and some time off how much power as %TT power would you expect to lose if you took 3 weeks off and did nothing at all.

I don't think we're talking about the same thing. What do you define power as?

Hypnospin said:
while i would suggest avoiding "nothing at all" just because an easy spin is so nice off season, i think the most important factor here is preparing the organism for next season base building, and if this means a drop in power, do not sweat it. power is thought to be more trainable, and quickly responding than endurance by many.
greg lemond did advocate sprint training in the off season, this will offset any power loss soon enuff...

3 weeks off? I'd expect a drop in LT and mid-upper aerobic stuff. Obviously this means you'll be able to do less time at vo2max as well... You'll probably still be able to do similar stuff on the very high end and the very low end.

Don't worry about it though... It's october and you won't start racing till March or April, right?