Basel to Freiberg along the Rhine

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dan Leung

I will be in Basel Mar 21-23. If weather permitting, I would like to bike from Basel to
Freiberg(Germany) along the Rhine. I need info on where to rent a bike and the bike path in that
area? Any pointer or advice, TIA.

Dan

IRT renting a bike in Europe

In 2001 I rode all over Germany & Austria. I decided to leave my Specialized road bike at home and
bought a used mountain bike at a bike shop in Stuttgart for $150. That included an overhaul and
thorough safety inspection.

One of the best decisions I ever made. I rode that bike along the Danube between Passau & Vienna and
back, Then rode from Stuttgart to the Rhine, down river towards Muenster, then across Germany
90along the Mittelland canal) to Berlin. From there it was on to the Polish border then south along
the Oder/neisse and into Dresden.

Then it was down the Elbe to Magdeburg and by train to Hanover. Rode from Hanover to Goettingen and
then trained to Frankfurt. Fully loaded everywhere.

That bike was (is) made like a tank. I suffered only one broken spoke. I brought it back to the US
and gave it to my son. BTW, in anticipation of buying a bike, I took my pannier racks along and
installed them on the used German bike.

Everything worked & I had a great time. Very glad I did not have to worry about my road bike.

The lesson is - after you get there, go to a good bike shop and buy a used bike.

IRT cycling from Basel to Freiburg, I saw a bike path everywhere I went along the Rhine. if not
right on the river, it will be away from it a bit. Cycling the Rhine is very popular.

HTH

Regards from the Velo Nut

Dale V Lally Jr W0OWF Pompano Beach FL [email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.