Bashed knee - how long recovery?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bike Dude, Jan 30, 2003.

  1. Bike Dude

    Bike Dude Guest

    So November 10th I'm JRA with a buddy and we come to light. I can't unclip (due, it turns out, to
    wearing booties with campus pedals) and just before I topple over I rip my foot out of the pedal
    by brute force, and my knee into the bars. Hurts like the dickens but I keep on riding for a
    couple of hours, major climbing included. Pain is pretty much gone at the end of the ride (about
    2.5 hours later).

    Well a month later my knee gets really sensitive under the knee-cap. I can't kneel, even on a bed or
    carpet. Even the "pressure" from riding in tights or rainpants hurts it.

    It is almost 3 months later, and this thing is still sensitive (a little bit less so....). Should I
    just be patient? Is riding better, or rest? (I am riding less and swimming more, more due to crappy
    weather than my knee....).

    Thanks in advance for any advice or anecdotes. Bike Dude.

    Tags:

  2. Mike Krueger

    Mike Krueger Guest

    << Well a month later my knee gets really sensitive under the knee-cap. I can't kneel, even on a bed
    or carpet. Even the "pressure" from riding in tights or rainpants hurts it. It is almost 3 months
    later, and this thing is still sensitive (a little bit less so....). Should I just be patient? Is
    riding better, or rest? >>

    Go to an orthopedist and have it looked at.

  3. G.Daniels

    G.Daniels Guest

    MD! Board Certified MD

  4. Allen Foster

    Allen Foster Guest

    I concur, there is most likely some torn cartilage in there. It may be nothing of course but best
    get it looked at anyway.

    Allen

    On 31 Jan 2003 05:22:35 GMT, [email protected] (Mike Krueger) wrote:

    ><< Well a month later my knee gets really sensitive under the knee-cap. I can't kneel, even on a
    >bed or carpet. Even the "pressure" from riding in tights or rainpants hurts it. It is almost 3
    >months later, and this thing is still sensitive (a little bit less so....). Should I just be
    >patient? Is riding better, or rest? >>
    >
    >Go to an orthopedist and have it looked at.

  5. J999w

    J999w Guest

    >It is almost 3 months later, and this thing is still sensitive (a little bit less so....). Should I
    >just be patient? Is riding better, or rest?

    What do you mean by sensitive?

    Can you still walk, kneel, or ride? Try icing it yet? How old are you?

    Certainly having it looked at wouldn't be a waste of time or $ .

    jw Registered Nurse

  6. Bike Dude

    Bike Dude Guest

    J999w wrote:
    >>It is almost 3 months later, and this thing is still sensitive (a little bit less so....). Should
    >>I just be patient? Is riding better, or rest?
    >

    > What do you mean by sensitive?
    >
    > Can you still walk, kneel, or ride? Try icing it yet? How old are you?
    >
    > Certainly having it looked at wouldn't be a waste of time or $ .
    >
    > jw Registered Nurse
    Sensitive to direct pressure. Cycling only hurts it insofar as it is cold now and the tights and/or
    rainpants that I wear press against it. The same thing happens when I kneel in long pants,
    especially jeans. The only time it really hurts is if I kneel on it, especially on a hard surface
    like on the floor.

    I am 44yrs old, 5'10", 150 lbs and in fairly good shape. I.e.: I can climb a long 15% grade at a
    sustained 10mph (not world class, but not bad for an old dude) and talk to my friends while I do it
    (maybe I need faster friends).

    $$$ - it will only cost me a $10 copay so that is no big deal. It is just that these things usually
    heal up by themselves, but I don't want to do something stupid and make it worse out of ignorance.

    Bike Dude. (yeah yeah, guys over 35 shouldn't use the word Dude in any context not
    involving a ranch).

  7. On Tue, 04 Feb 2003 02:46:23 GMT in rec.bicycles.tech, Bike Dude
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > $$$ - it will only cost me a $10 copay so that is no big deal. It is just that these things
    > usually heal up by themselves, but I don't want to do something stupid and make it worse out of
    > ignorance.

    you've already done something stupid by not seeing the doc as soon as it happened if you only had a
    $10 copay.