Basic bike for cross-training

KakenBetaal

Jun 14, 2004
Total cycling noob here, and hoping for some help because there's so much information I don't know what to look at or decide on. These items are important to me:

• I'm looking for a basic bike to cross-train on for another sport that has similar muscle movement patterns.
  • The training will involve road cycling on sometimes less than ideal surfaces. This will include long steady distance, various types of intervals, and certainly some hill sessions.
  • It will also be used for commuting and to carry a 2 year old around (in a child seat?).
  • Budget is small, but I'm willing to pay enough to get the most bang for my money.
  • Weight doesn't really matter to me providing the components are of reasonable quality. I'm not looking to be fast on the bike after all, rather I want to be fast in my other sport.

I'm thinking either a road bike or a hybrid, but haven't got a huge preference apart from wanting to avoid the tourer/dutch bicycle look. That's low priority though and I'd consider any suggestions.

What kind of money am I looking at?

Originally posted by KakenBetaal
Total cycling noob here, and hoping for some help because there's so much information I don't know what to look at or decide on. These items are important to me:

• I'm looking for a basic bike to cross-train on for another sport that has similar muscle movement patterns.
  • The training will involve road cycling on sometimes less than ideal surfaces. This will include long steady distance, various types of intervals, and certainly some hill sessions.
  • It will also be used for commuting and to carry a 2 year old around (in a child seat?).
  • Budget is small, but I'm willing to pay enough to get the most bang for my money.
  • Weight doesn't really matter to me providing the components are of reasonable quality. I'm not looking to be fast on the bike after all, rather I want to be fast in my other sport.

I'm thinking either a road bike or a hybrid, but haven't got a huge preference apart from wanting to avoid the tourer/dutch bicycle look. That's low priority though and I'd consider any suggestions.

What kind of money am I looking at?

Start with local shop that will help you through the process of fitting your anatomy and riding plans.
REI is not a bicycle shop but has people that are trained to help.
Randonee is a model that REI carries that might serve your needs.
Child trailers tend to be safer than child seats, but there are some that are much better in the safety regards, like Topeak.

Thanks, I'm definitely planning on going to my local store. Anyone else got some more suggestions?

Hybrid sounds good for your needs. Some are equipped with front/seat suspension to absorb shock. They are typically much cheaper than a decent new road bike. However, I've heard they're not as comfortable on long road rides, ie 30+ miles.