Basic bike maintenance [Perth]

shecycles

Aug 16, 2006
Hi folks, new to this world of serious cycling. Have just upgraded to a schmick new machine (Norco VFR 2) and would like to keep it in attractive and efficient working order. On account of my in-house maintenance boy being no more, I'm going to have to fend for myself in terms of maintaining the new machine. Does anyone know of courses on basic bike maintenance that are run in the Perth area? I know there are books on this caper, but I'd prefer the real life learning experience.

What bike have you upgraded from? What sort of serious cycling are you doing? I am sure that you could learn from peers if you are getting into group riding.

George would be happy to give you some pointers as he said. I could join you at his place if you would rather someone else be there.

Jackie

Thanks for your kind offer George, but I can self administer my own cables.
Jackie, I've been clunking around on an old Giant Hybrid for a couple of years - I've certainly noticed the difference in moving to the new bike. At the moment I do a 40-50km jaunt each Sat & Sun. Would now like to step it up a little and learn some more, so group riding is of interest. I'm in the Subi area.

HI "she",

I see Jackie has replied. We ride together occasionally on Thursdays or Saturday afternoons, that is if she is not swimming at UWA. Maybe we could all catch up for a coffee, Matilda Bay?, one fine afternoon after swimming.

Jackie has a Felt F100-650c road bike and an Apollo Panther 24" set up for her local bike paths. Last week we tried 5 different saddles, this week, stems. Her bike fits quite well and is much more comfortable now. My SR81 Felt is similar to your Norco in set up.