Basic Cycling Checklist

Lizel

Feb 17, 2015
First time riding in a while? Our basic gear list can keep you from forgetting anything important. Not all cyclists will carry every item on every outing.

The Two Essentials

• Bike
  • Helmet

Core Gear

• Water (hydration pack; bottle with cage)
  • Snacks/energy food
  • Sunscreen
  • First-aid kit (see our First-Aid Checklist)
  • Eye protection (sunglasses, clear lenses)
  • Medical info/emergency contact card

Core Bike Repair Items

• Spare tube or tubes (and/or patch kit)
  • Pump
  • Tire levers
  • Cycling multi-tool with Allen wrenches

Comfort and Convenience

• Padded shorts or tights
  • Wicking jersey or top
  • Gloves
  • Saddle (underseat) bag
  • Patch kit (and/or spare tube or tubes)
  • Lock
  • Watch or cycling computer
  • Cell phone
  • Cash and/or credit card
  • Map (if in unfamiliar area)

Some Personal Extras

• ____________________
  • ____________________
  • ____________________
  • ____________________
  • ____________________
  • ____________________

Cycling Pre-ride Inspection

• Tire pressure and condition
  • Brake check
  • Front/rear wheel quick releases secured
  • Bolt tightness throughout
  • Seat and handlebar height
  • Light check (if equipped)
  • Lubrication check
  • Reflectors in place

Pretty much complete. The only additions would be for commuting/errand/utility purposes and foul/winter weather. But, those would be sub-forum specific. This is great.

That's pretty extensive, looks like a list for a lengthy road cycling ride to me. My list for commuting is pretty much, check lights if using, check tire pressure. Always carry purse and water unless this is a quicky grocery trip, then maybe skip that. I don't really go farther than a mile from a bike shop as there are several in town, so I don't worry about repair kits and things. If I get a flat I just walk it to the shop and get it taken care of.

Reactions: BobCochran
As what @welshdude3 had said, pretty much complete. But I had restrained a laugh because the title of the thread is Basic Cycling Checklist and bike is only in the number 2 slot next to helmet. Does that mean that the most essential is the helmet? No offense, I'm just feeling a bit humorous at this hour. In fairness to your list, I like the comfort and convenience part which includes the lock which somehow gives you the peace of mind when you park your bike.

Like DancingLady, I try to go as light as possible. Especially if I'm grocery shopping. (Yeah I pedal to the store and shop and pedal home.) Like Corzhens, a locked bike gives me peace of mind, especially in a heavily urban environment like mine. Go light, and lock it up. Success in cycling!

BobCochran said:
Like DancingLady, I try to go as light as possible. Especially if I'm grocery shopping. (Yeah I pedal to the store and shop and pedal home.) Like Corzhens, a locked bike gives me peace of mind, especially in a heavily urban environment like mine. Go light, and lock it up. Success in cycling!
Whenever I would read posts like that - shopping in grocery on a bike - I really wish that it can also be done here. It seems that bikers there (in America and elsewhere) have more privileges in terms of tradition and culture than bikers here. In fairness to some malls, there are now bike parking although several years ago that horizontal iron bar for bike chains was a rarity. There was once a poor congressman here by the name of Way Kurat who goes to congress on his bike. He somehow revolutionized the use of bikes and probably caused that law for malls to build bike parking.

Taking stuff like sunscreen? Sunscreen will last 2 to 3 hours with sweating going on, but unless you're pale white it's unlikely you need to worry about sunscreen reapplication on a ride. I rode for over 30 years in Southern California coast, desert, and mountain areas and only twice tried sunscreen which only made me hotter so I stopped using it and never had issues with skin cancer or even burns.

First aid? other than minor cuts and using a bandaid or two anything more than minor you can't carry enough supplies to cover the spectrum of possibilities. I take a bandaid, a butterfly, and Gorilla glue (which can be used for lots of things). You can't carry stuff to flush the wound out, so just cover and get to a hospital if it's bad.

People will argue about the helmet, I won't.

Other than that the list is good. I also take a small pair of folding pliers, zip ties, FiberFix spoke, keys to the house, and a tire boot patch. I use to carry a spare tire folded tightly in the seat bag as a precaution that echos back to the old tubular days, but this year I gave that up since tires today are built a lot better than they use to be except for Continentals who still prescribe to paper thin sidewalls that gash easily which I will never use again.

If you're a glue on patch type of person then check your glue tube once a year to make sure the glue hasn't dried up, I use glueless patches without fail so I never have to worry about finding a dried glue tube.

Corzhens said:
Whenever I would read posts like that - shopping in grocery on a bike - I really wish that it can also be done here. It seems that bikers there (in America and elsewhere) have more privileges in terms of tradition and culture than bikers here. In fairness to some malls, there are now bike parking although several years ago that horizontal iron bar for bike chains was a rarity. There was once a poor congressman here by the name of Way Kurat who goes to congress on his bike. He somehow revolutionized the use of bikes and probably caused that law for malls to build bike parking.
Bike racks here in the US??? Well, at least here in Michigan they are rare. Many public facilities frequented by kids and young adults have them - schools, colleges/universities, libraries - have them. Many parks have them -especially those with bike paths or trails. Most businesses - yeah, good luck ... You're usually trying to find a tree, signpost, etc. my grocery store solution is usually to run the cable through three or four shopping carts strategically placed around my bike to create an immovable mass.

The US is full of fat, lazy people who drive half a mile to the store to buy one or two items weighing a pound or so total ... Businesses would do better about putting out bike racks IF customers demanded them and used them ... But not in this society ... Even the poor are too lazy ....

Yes, I've ridden to the grocery store many times on a bike - the closest "good" grocery store is about 3.5 miles - I can usually pack up to 20 lbs of groceries in my backpack and tie another 6-8-10 if needed on the top of the Topeak rack ... People look at you funny when you are dressed in cycling gear shopping. Oh well ... They need to take lessons, especially the 450 lb'ers riding their Rascals with the baskets full of chips and soda.

Reactions: Corzhens
One shopping mall near me provides bike parking, two others do not. I can usually lock my bike to either a trash can, or a steel post if it goes to the roof, or to a tall fence. What is really needed is for more people to take up bicycling. Car drivers became much too politically powerful, though, and set up roads that favor motor vehicles. I still think a revolution in true road sharing is possible if the numbers of cyclists could increase. With numbers, comes action.

MotownBikeBoy said:
The US is full of fat, lazy people who drive half a mile to the store to buy one or two items weighing a pound or so total ... Businesses would do better about putting out bike racks IF customers demanded them and used them ... But not in this society ... Even the poor are too lazy ....

Yes, I've ridden to the grocery store many times on a bike - the closest "good" grocery store is about 3.5 miles - I can usually pack up to 20 lbs of groceries in my backpack and tie another 6-8-10 if needed on the top of the Topeak rack ... People look at you funny when you are dressed in cycling gear shopping. Oh well ... They need to take lessons, especially the 450 lb'ers riding their Rascals with the baskets full of chips and soda.
Over here, we have the so called tricycles and pedicabs. The tricycle is a motorcycle with a side car for 2 passengers, the same with pedicab but the only difference is it has no engine to speak of. Those small transportation vehicles are very popular here for traveling half a kilometer. Even people with no money (the poor) ride those 3-wheelers, okay to pay than to walk. That's how lazy people here are. But ironically, they don't utilize the bikes which some of us can really afford. Just plain lazy, I guess.

Its good you included your bike in the list ;) Sunscreen isn't need for most rides, unless you're doing big miles in extreme heat. I wouldn't bother with a map or lock if I was going training either, part of the fun is discovering random places.

Corzhens, I learn a little more about your culture each time you post. Thank you for the posts you give us.

Bob