basic maintenance and tools

kidtaurus

Sep 4, 2004
Hey guys I would like to start off by saying thanks for all your input in previous posts. I want to start doing my own maintenance and upgrades so that I can take advantage of Ebays low prices w/o having to shell money to pay someone to do it. I was wondering what tools I should get? Or any tool kits that you can recommend. I have a lot of automotive hand tools. I would like to spend as little as possible so that I can use the money for upgrades, but dont wanna sacrafice on quality. What tools can I skimp on quality b/c I will not use much?

kidtaurus said:
Hey guys I would like to start off by saying thanks for all your input in previous posts. I want to start doing my own maintenance and upgrades so that I can take advantage of Ebays low prices w/o having to shell money to pay someone to do it. I was wondering what tools I should get? Or any tool kits that you can recommend. I have a lot of automotive hand tools. I would like to spend as little as possible so that I can use the money for upgrades, but dont wanna sacrafice on quality. What tools can I skimp on quality b/c I will not use much?
Get the zinn maintenantence book.It's got a section on tools. What you get/need depends on what you got.

Try to find the online Barnetts (older edition) for more detailed stuff than the Bicyucling of Zinn's book has. Buy tools from Performance or Nashbar. If you already have most normal tools, there isn't much to buy.

I posted this in this thread

http://www.cyclingforums.com/showthread.php?p=1357386#post1357386

All the tools you need for bike maintenance, if you have normal "car" tools, are under $100. Bottom bracket removal $5, cassette removal $5, chain whip $10, allen wrenches $10, pedal wrench $10, cone wrenches $15, spoke tool $5, torque wrench $30, crank extract for non one key $5. Combine that with 20% off coupons at online stores and how much is it? Under $100 easy.

kidtaurus said:
Hey guys I would like to start off by saying thanks for all upgrades, but dont wanna sacrafice on quality. What tools can I skimp on quality b/c I will not use much?