General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Basic navigational skills badly missing

Started by Rodders · · Last activity · 746 posts · 16,128 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
25 November 2005
Last activity
22 December 2005
Original author
Rodders
Posts
746
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
16,128
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 221–240 of 746
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. SteveO said:

    Sorry Simon, but that's "tabloid dismissiveness"; to get an arrow to
    display on a GPS at all you have to tell it where you want to go... to
    do that you have to know how to read a map (ergo navigate); how else
    do you derive the co-ordinates you then need to program into the GPS?

    You /can/ just throw money at it and click the summits to visit in the
    mapping software and download them to the GPS. Most people can find the
    summit of Ben Nevis on a map, many of them can work out a GR, but that
    is *not* the same as "navigation" which is about route choice between
    where you are and where you're going as well as those endpoints.

    Many people are not adept at using maps to select good routes.

    Quoted message said:

    The mobile phone has prolly become _the_ tool (sic.) that singularly
    has lured most of those who get into trouble into the situation where
    they are endangered.

    Probably the case. Though anything where you can throw money at
    something well enough marketed at Solving All Your Problems may
    aggravate matters. The eTrex user manual (if you can call it that) is
    an interesting document, going on all about how easy and fun life is
    with your eTrex, rather than really telling you much about navigation...

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,
    SteveO@?.?.invalid writes

    Quoted message said:

    to get an arrow to
    display on a GPS at all you have to tell it where you want to go... to
    do that you have to know how to read a map (ergo navigate); how else
    do you derive the co-ordinates you then need to program into the GPS?

    Save a waypoint at your starting point (very easy to do and one of the
    first things the tutorial in the manual will tell you to try). Ask it to
    show you the way back to that point. No map required :-(

    --

    Dominic Sexton

  3. SteveO said:

    But, perhaps, outside their ability to put [paper?] skills into
    practice?

    If that were really a problem the emergency services would have a lot
    more work any time there's bad visibility. The hills are potentially
    dangerous places, and you can die there. But your main risk is driving
    there and back... is it "daft" not to have a car with ABS and airbags
    and 5 point safety harnesses, and drive it in a full-face crash helmet
    and flameproof suit?

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  4. In article <[email hidden]>, Paul Saunders
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:


    GPS navigation is standard in modern aircraft.

    And they generally do not retrofit them to older aircraft. I wouldn't be
    surprised if there were still more commercial airliners out there
    without GPS than with.

    --

    Dominic Sexton

  5. In article <[email hidden]>, Graham Seed
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:


    "Paul Saunders" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:


    But if you've got a GPS, and more importantly, if you know how to use it
    properly, then you *can* go to places that you might otherwise not risk
    going.


    I think I could go anywhere in this country without gps, but your argument
    would be true for vast barren wastelands like deserts.


    Before GPS was commonly available I spent a lot of time driving round
    'featureless' deserts as did many other folks working in oil
    exploration. I can only remember two cases of people getting lost. One
    where they were following a well used track through the area and missed
    the point to turn off.

    The other was more entertaining. A surveyor was out having a scout near
    the edge of our work area and had one of them there newfangled GPS units
    with him - the GPS was the first one most of us had seen. As the
    constellation was far from complete (1990) it would only find four
    satellites, and hence be able to compute a position, for a few hours a
    day.

    Our intrepid surveyor misjudged his route in the SW corner of our area
    and drove north up the west of the area thinking he would soon recognise
    some dunes in the NW corner and then make the short trip back to camp
    from there.

    He drove north for quite some time thinking he would soon be there and
    if all else failed he would be able to get a GPS position at about dusk.
    He stopped driving at dusk and setup the GPS. When it told him he was
    about 30 miles north of our area he was more than a little shocked.

    When he finally got back to camp he readily admitted that he would not
    have been so nonchalant about his direction nor continued driving for so
    long if he had not got the GPS with him.

    Good job he made it back into radio range or we would have been looking
    for him where he was last heard from in the SW!

    --

    Dominic Sexton

  6. Chris Gilbert said:


    SteveO said:

    You say you're a sailor; you ever been offshore when the fog has come
    in and wanted to find your harbour? I have and a GPS is the only tool
    that would do that for you.

    Marine GPS is integrated with real-time mapping and position
    indication.

    _only_ if that's the level of equipment you own! The scenario I
    mentioned of my being at sea at getting home in fog via GPS was by
    using a bog-standard GPS.

    Quoted message said:

    As you imply, absolutely priceless but it offers a level of
    sophistication way beynd the capabilities of most handheld GPS which are
    fairly simple positioning audit devices and require a level of skill and practice to
    use properly.

    A basic level of skill of being able to input a waypoint is a minimum
    that's required, and the level of sophistication of the equipment, as
    I mentioned above, does not have to be top-of-the-range ;-)

    Quoted message said:

    A GPS per se does not increase the owners ability to save themeslves from
    the Darwin effect. Knowledge of how to use the tool appropriately in the conditions
    is what is required and the same goes for a map and compass.

    That's a given. Tautology in fact ;-)

  7. Peter Clinch wrote "Many people are not adept at using maps to select
    good routes."

    That's an indefensible statement!!!!!

    Many /people/ - statistical survey?

    /good/ routes - in whose eyes?

    David.

  8. Peter Clinch wrote "Many people are not adept at using maps to select
    good routes."

    That's an indefensible statement!!!!!

    Many /people/ - statistical survey?

    /good/ routes - in whose eyes?

    David.

  9. Peter Clinch said:
    Paul Rooney said:

    I defy anyone to use pacing with any degree of accuracy in deep,
    boulder-strewn heather.

    The you choose a different route!!???

    Its a no brainer, you're (presumably because you're pacing) trying to
    get yourself out of a sticky situation so why put yourself into a
    trickier one?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Often you can't maintain anything like a
    straight line even for a few yards. Ditto with saltmarsh,
    criss-crossed with channels

    You just plain wouldn't be pacing in salt-marsh.

    Quoted message said:

    Indeed the case that there are many instances when a GPS is a frankly
    better tool than a compass and pacing, or whatever.

    Agreed. Can I steal your clarification Pete and suggest that it also
    extends to choosing your escape route and your method of determining
    how best to effect your escape.

    Pacing in a salt-marsh, ordinary marsh, or peat hag for that matter?
    Gimme a break.

  10. Gordon said:

    [email hidden] wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Mike said:

    So a GPS would would have been no use to us,

    Hey, my case is that GPS is harmless. Not that it's especially useful.
    As a sailor I'm amazed people on land full of features would even
    bother with it half the time.


    Most of us don't, most of the time. You only need one when you are
    unsure of your position, but I like to look at the walk plotted on a map
    afterwards, and to know the distance, time, height gain etc.

    Yeah, that's exactly my take on it. Vaguely useful if you've got it. No
    real drama if you haven't.

    The whole idea that GPS is dangerous because if you misused it it could
    be dangerous is insane.

    Like refusing to get on a Bicycle because riding bicycles into erupting
    volcanos is dangerous....

  11. On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 11:09:02 +0000, Paul Rooney <[email hidden]>
    wrote:

    [...]

    Quoted message said:

    (My own opinion is that the reason why the arguments go on so long is
    that so many people are, as Paul has said, Luddites.)

    Well we just need Roger to agree now and then the four of us will be
    in complete agreement on the point 🙂

    Best wishes,
    --
    ,,
    (**)PeeWiglet~~
    / \ / \

  12. Paul Rooney said:

    300 squid?! That's almost a month's beer money! But you can buy very
    good ones a lot cheaper than that. Mind you, some people don't think
    twice about spending that on a jacket (though it's more than the cost
    of all my walking clothes put together, and they are up to the job).

    What I want from a GPS, among other things, is to be able to guide me
    to specific places in small French villages, so I'd need mapping as a
    starter. Then I'd need the mapping to be upgradeable, because these
    villages don't appear on standard basemaps with any detail, so I'd be
    looking for something with connectivity and sensible amounts of memory.
    But then feature-creep sets in... for only another 20 quid I can get
    <insert pseudo-desirable feature here>.

    In short, the Magellan eXplorist 400 is pretty much the spec I'm after,
    and by the time you add in a decent set of Western Europe maps then
    it's around the 300 quid mark.

    I know I can get an Etrex Legend with a basemap for around 200 quid,
    but a nagging voice tells me that they are getting on a bit now and
    something more up to date would be better. And it doesn't take memory
    cards. Though it does have better screen resolution than the
    eXplorist.

    I suspect the rational thing would be to get a Legend with the mapping
    and be done with it, but then, ultimately, another voice tells me that
    I've managed this far without a GPS and I don't need one now. And the
    annoying thing is that I know this voice is right...

    Colin

  13. I said:

    I know I can get an Etrex Legend with a basemap for around 200 quid,

    when I should have said 'with a detailed Western Europe map'. It comes
    with a basemap as standard. Oops.

    Colin

  14. Dominic Sexton said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    SteveO@?.?.invalid writes

    Quoted message said:

    to get an arrow to
    display on a GPS at all you have to tell it where you want to go... to
    do that you have to know how to read a map (ergo navigate); how else
    do you derive the co-ordinates you then need to program into the GPS?

    Save a waypoint at your starting point (very easy to do and one of the
    first things the tutorial in the manual will tell you to try). Ask it to
    show you the way back to that point. No map required :-(

    Aye, but if you think about it you're following the arrow on your GPS
    which means you're not going to leave the carpark are you? ;-)

    OK, flippant perhaps 🙂 but to store a waypoint and then get your GPS
    to show you which direction to go in (assuming you've moved away from
    the car park under your own initiative;-) still requires a certain
    knowledge. I agree its arguable just how *much* knowledge is required
    but the point I'm alluding to is that you're moving away from Joe
    Numpty (fictional character) who gets his GPS out of its box, puts the
    batteries in and wnaders off assuming all his problems are solved
    (again, a fictional scenario).

  15. SteveO said:
    Quoted message said:

    On flat ground maybe. You'd be pretty brave to trust GPS for blind nav
    on a mountain in whiteout.

    Why on earth do you say that, just to be argumentative while being
    plain wrong at the same time? You Trollin?

    The navigational aid capabilites are not diminished by visibility for
    the human eye. You said yourself that a GPS tells you where you are.
    When you can't see anything else what else are you going to use for
    navigation?

    Mainly ignorance. I've never been in a white out but I'd kind of
    assumed that you had to sit tight rather than moving around.... At
    least that's what Jo Simpson and Simon Yates said they'd wished they'd
    done on TtV on Sunday night!

    If you *had* to move around then GPS would obviously be required. How
    else?

    Quoted message said:

    You say you're a sailor; you ever been offshore when the fog has come
    in and wanted to find your harbour? I have and a GPS is the only tool
    that would do that for you.

    Of course but I kind of thought mountains were different with lot's of
    unexpected dangers like crevasses and cliffs etc.

  16. Peter Clinch said:
    SteveO said:

    But, perhaps, outside their ability to put [paper?] skills into
    practice?

    If that were really a problem the emergency services would have a lot
    more work any time there's bad visibility.

    Dunno Pete, was just trying to imagine a scenario where someone who's
    skill levels would suggest they could effect a self-rescue (or
    shouldn't be in trouble in the first place) but in reality they called
    for help.

    ....the mobile phone is the new hill whistle.
    (thank god, those whistles are worse than bl**dy useless;-)

  17. On 29 Nov 2005 04:42:05 -0800, [email hidden] wrote:

    [...]

    Quoted message said:

    Mainly ignorance. I've never been in a white out but I'd kind of
    assumed that you had to sit tight rather than moving around.... At
    least that's what Jo Simpson and Simon Yates said they'd wished they'd
    done on TtV on Sunday night!

    Much depends on where you are, though. They were at risk of falling to
    their deaths, but in many places over here that risk is absent.

    Quoted message said:


    If you *had* to move around then GPS would obviously be required. How
    else?

    Well if you know exactly where you are, and decide where you want to
    go, it's quite possible to take a bearing off the map, put it on the
    compass and walk on it. Pacing and timing can be used to calculate
    distance covered, although clearly the effectiveness of those methods
    is going to be affected by the terrain. Much of the time, though, it
    should be possible to have a pretty good idea of how far one has
    worked on pacing alone. If it's possible to see things like walls as
    well then the job becomes easier.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    You say you're a sailor; you ever been offshore when the fog has come
    in and wanted to find your harbour? I have and a GPS is the only tool
    that would do that for you.

    Of course but I kind of thought mountains were different with lot's of
    unexpected dangers like crevasses and cliffs etc.

    Again, it depends on where you are 🙂

    Best wishes,
    --
    ,,
    (**)PeeWiglet~~
    / \ / \

  18. Quoted message said:

    Mainly ignorance. I've never been in a white out but I'd kind of
    assumed that you had to sit tight rather than moving around.... At
    least that's what Jo Simpson and Simon Yates said they'd wished they'd
    done on TtV on Sunday night!

    If you *had* to move around then GPS would obviously be required. How
    else?

    Look at the map, decide where you want to go, take a bearing, get the
    compass out, set it up to walk along the chosen bearing, and start
    walking.

    (In anticipation of at least one objection to this, being in a whiteout
    doesn't mean you don't know where you are.)

    Colin

  19. Peewiglet <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Also, and just to be clear, I'm not implying that I consider £70 tp be
    a trivial sum, but I do think it's fairly reasonable for something
    that could save a life (or potentially the life of a whole family).
    Bearing in mind what many people spend on waterproofs, rucksacks,
    boots, this/that/theother layers, maps, map cases, tents, mattresses
    etc etc etc, I don't see it as disproportionate. The reality may be,
    though, that they actually cost about twice as much as that, and I'd
    certainly agree that that would put them into a totally different
    'cost league'.

    Tracklogs current prices
    Geko 101 - £75
    Geko 201 - £95
    eTrex - £90

    Not that I would recommend the 101 as it doesn't have a computer interface,
    but if you are on a budget and you don't have a computer... hang on, in
    that case you are not reading this 🙂

    John

  20. Peewiglet said:

    Well if you know exactly where you are, and decide where you want to
    go, it's quite possible to take a bearing off the map, put it on the
    compass and walk on it. Pacing and timing can be used to calculate
    distance covered, although clearly the effectiveness of those methods
    is going to be affected by the terrain. Much of the time, though, it
    should be possible to have a pretty good idea of how far one has
    worked on pacing alone.

    Known as estimating. ...but I was thinking that on a mountain you need
    better than a "pretty good idea" where you are.

    ....but it seems I've got a poor idea of what a mountain is in this
    context. I'm was thinking Annapurna and the OP was thinking Pen-y-fan!

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.