basic odds and ends about wheel building

"Dave Kahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "W K" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> > Would you like to quote the actual calculations? Or do I have to line
his
> > pockets just to disagree?
>
> Err... I thought you said you'd already read it.

I've read his stuff that appears on the web, and believe I get the general concepts, and don't
disagree on the wheel stuff apart from the use of one term, and where the science gets a bit pseudo.

"W K" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Dave Kahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > Err... I thought you said you'd already read it.
>
> I've read his stuff that appears on the web, and believe I get the general concepts, and
> don't disagree on the wheel stuff apart from the use of one term, and where the science gets
> a bit pseudo.

"W K" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> I've actually read it and think its OK.

I see.

--
Dave...

W K <[email protected]> wrote:
>>He does, but he looks like a 13 yo who's _read_ The Bicycle Wheel. Doubling or even tripling drive
>>torque would still leave it a fraction of spoke load.
>If you are talking about bad pedalling styles and low gears you can make it very much higher than
>doubling or tripling.
[what about tandems, asks "W K".]
>Would you like to quote the actual calculations? Or do I have to line his pockets just to disagree?

Well, the Book says that typical spoke tension in a 36 spoke wheel is
1000N.

How much can a single rider push? Let's imagine a 70kg rider can put his whole weight on the pedal -
not actually pulling up on the bars, but still riding very hard, presumably out of the saddle. This
will exert a force of 700N 170mm from the BB spindle; about 120 Nm of torque.

1001/34 is a very low gear, increasing this to about 170Nm at the rear hub. Also, the Book tells us
that a typical rear axle transmits about 20% of the torque to the non-drive side; so we should
consider the (clearly greater) tension change in the right-hand side spokes. 80% of this torque
is about 135Nm - a typical hub flange might be about 30mm radius, so this would exert 4500N on
the spokes; however, it acts on 18 spokes (since as we know we can regard the pushing spokes as
being compressed by this load) for a tension change in each one of 250N. This would be 1/4 of
the spoke tension in the case where the wheel is undished and spoke tension is not higher on
the right-hand side; and I must reiterate that this is in an extremely low gear.

[Disclaimer; this is a bit back of the envelope, and I'm willing to have obvious errors pointed out
to me. It assumes a tangentially spoked wheel, I think. :-]

However, the Book also recommends large-flange hubs for tandems ridden vigorously, because then
torque may become a high proportion of spoke tension... so actually when you ask about "2 nonskinny
people on a tandem", Brandt does take that into account; your characterisation of him is unfair.

>No, he actually says that if you ride through glass you get a puncture and its as simple as
>that. Aparantly he would never dream of riding with 4mm thick rubber, which probably makes most
>the difference. He certainly hasn't commuted through the post industrial wasteland on an
>everyday basis.

In return, would you mind Googling up an article of his to justify this assertion about
what he says?

David Damerell wrote:

> Well, the Book says that typical spoke tension in a 36 spoke wheel is
> 1000N.

> [Disclaimer; this is a bit back of the envelope, and I'm willing to have obvious errors pointed
> out to me. It assumes a tangentially spoked wheel, I think. :-]

What about the side forces between the tyre and the road induced by out of the saddle climbing or
sprinting?

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK