basic powertap question

Gustaf

Aug 16, 2003
What is the difference between the three models, I have read the Saris website a million times and they dont seem to highlight the differences very well.
the pro improves the basic model by: customizable display and cadence? only those two features? and the SL is just the Pro but lighter? any other differences like record time or whatever.
Thanks

Gustaf said:
What is the difference between the three models, I have read the Saris website a million times and they dont seem to highlight the differences very well.
the pro improves the basic model by: customizable display and cadence? only those two features? and the SL is just the Pro but lighter? any other differences like record time or whatever.
Thanks

SL is a bit lighter, has better moisture sealing of the electronics in the hub (supposedly) and costs around $250-$300 more. I got the Pro model. The basic model lacks some important functions like a cadence attachment and a couple other things that I've forgotten about already. Analyticcycling.com had good prices and quick shipping when I got mine 3 months ago.

Pro & SL CPU (same thing) has more memory, handles intervals better, downloads faster & has real cadence measurement (as well as the hub cadence estimate option only on Std model). Display has some improvements (e.g. no leading zeros, time display, programmable rolling average functions also available for power/HR/cadence), it doesn't drain it's battery as quickly (Std has some quirks on battery use) and you can set the odometer. Pro CPU allows for less frequent recording intervals (up to 30 sec) but that wouldn't be used by many (indeed I wouldn't recommend it).

SL hub is lighter than Pro/Std but the option to convert to fixed gear doesn't work with SL. However you still need the Pro CPU to handle fixed gear use (as you need the option to turn off the torque auto zero function).

Only Pro/SL has Campag freehub option. SL has better bearings (supposedly) but are not user serviceable (unless you really know what you're doing).

SL hub uses a different (improved) cap seal arrangement (the whole cap screws on rather than being held on by screws making the SL more water tight) and uses different batteries than the Pro/Std.

SL hub cap is black only. Pro hub cap comes in yellow or black.

Alex Simmons said:
Pro & SL CPU (same thing) has more memory, handles intervals better, downloads faster & has real cadence measurement (as well as the hub cadence estimate option only on Std model). Display has some improvements (e.g. no leading zeros, time display, programmable rolling average functions also available for power/HR/cadence), it doesn't drain it's battery as quickly (Std has some quirks on battery use) and you can set the odometer. Pro CPU allows for less frequent recording intervals (up to 30 sec) but that wouldn't be used by many (indeed I wouldn't recommend it).

SL hub is lighter than Pro/Std but the option to convert to fixed gear doesn't work with SL. However you still need the Pro CPU to handle fixed gear use (as you need the option to turn off the torque auto zero function).

Only Pro/SL has Campag freehub option. SL has better bearings (supposedly) but are not user serviceable (unless you really know what you're doing).

SL hub uses a different (improved) cap seal arrangement (the whole cap screws on rather than being held on by screws making the SL more water tight) and uses different batteries than the Pro/Std.

SL hub cap is black only. Pro hub cap comes in yellow or black.

great thanks for the comparison