Basic PowerTap SL Questions

MY02_STi

May 26, 2004
I should get my PowerTap SL in the next few days, and have read the manual that I've downloaded from the Saris web site, but there are one or two things I'm not clear on that I'm hoping someone can help me with (I'm migrating from a Polar setup so am used to that style of functionality)

1. The downloaded manual (hopefully the one that comes with the SL will be clearer) indicates that recording rates of 1s and 2s are available (5s, 10s and 30s are not :eek: ) and that there are 43,690 data points are available so just how much recording time do you get at each sampling rate (I believe that at 1s around 7 hours is about right).
2. How do you clear the CPU memory after each training session. With the Polar system this can be done via the software. Is this the same with PowerTap as it does not seem to be in the manual ?
3. How do you start recording data for a session and how do you stop recording. I understand that MODE moves between display lines and SELECT moves between displays, MODE and SELECT together marks an interval etc but how do you START and STOP (the Polar system does this similar to a stopwatch) :confused: :confused:

Any help would be appreciated and apologies in advance if indeed this info is in the manual and I just haven't seen it :eek:

MY02_STi said:
I should get my PowerTap SL in the next few days, and have read the manual that I've downloaded from the Saris web site, but there are one or two things I'm not clear on that I'm hoping someone can help me with (I'm migrating from a Polar setup so am used to that style of functionality)

1. The downloaded manual (hopefully the one that comes with the SL will be clearer) indicates that recording rates of 1s and 2s are available (5s, 10s and 30s are not :eek: ) and that there are 43,690 data points are available so just how much recording time do you get at each sampling rate (I believe that at 1s around 7 hours is about right).
2. How do you clear the CPU memory after each training session. With the Polar system this can be done via the software. Is this the same with PowerTap as it does not seem to be in the manual ?
3. How do you start recording data for a session and how do you stop recording. I understand that MODE moves between display lines and SELECT moves between displays, MODE and SELECT together marks an interval etc but how do you START and STOP (the Polar system does this similar to a stopwatch)
These will all be explained in the manual.

MY02_STi said:

3. How do you start recording data for a session and how do you stop recording. I understand that MODE moves between display lines and SELECT moves between displays, MODE and SELECT together marks an interval etc but how do you START and STOP (the Polar system does this similar to a stopwatch) :confused: :confused:

Any help would be appreciated and apologies in advance if indeed this info is in the manual and I just haven't seen it :eek:
1)the 7 hours for 1 s recording sounds right
2)you hold down the mode and select buttons until the -clr- appears on the screen
3)i think this is configurable by either wheel speed or HR but mine records anytime the rear wheel is moving.

Pureshot78 said:
1)the 7 hours for 1 s recording sounds right
2)you hold down the mode and select buttons until the -clr- appears on the screen
3)i think this is configurable by either wheel speed or HR but mine records anytime the rear wheel is moving.
1. Yep
2. Then you let go the buttons, otherwise you go into set up mode.
3. Yep. As long as CPU is on and a signal being received from hub via receiver, then as soon as the hub starts to turn, CPU begins recording. You can't manually turn it on/off, except by removing the CPU from the harness. You can programme the inactive duration before CPU goes to sleep (I have mine at set 4 min). To wake up the CPU, just press either button.

Alex Simmons said:
1. Yep
2. Then you let go the buttons, otherwise you go into set up mode.
3. Yep. As long as CPU is on and a signal being received from hub via receiver, then as soon as the hub starts to turn, CPU begins recording. You can't manually turn it on/off, except by removing the CPU from the harness. You can programme the inactive duration before CPU goes to sleep (I have mine at set 4 min). To wake up the CPU, just press either button.