Cycling Training · Public discussion

Basics to start with for the beginner (me)

Started by redmarkerdown · · Last activity · 5 posts · 1,170 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Training
Published
7 September 2006
Last activity
10 September 2006
Original author
redmarkerdown
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,170
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. So I finally bought my first bike and accesories, and am now beginning to ride. However I would like to know some of the basics and essential in training and so forth to make my ride more efficient.

    Thanks for any and all help you may have contributed.

  2. redmarkerdown said:

    So I finally bought my first bike and accesories, and am now beginning to ride. However I would like to know some of the basics and essential in training and so forth to make my ride more efficient.

    Thanks for any and all help you may have contributed.

    In the famous words of the greatest cyclist of all time (Eddy Merckx):
    "Ride lots".

    After you get a few thousand miles under your belt, you can start thinking about formal "training".

    Bob

  3. redmarkerdown said:

    So I finally bought my first bike and accesories, and am now beginning to ride. However I would like to know some of the basics and essential in training and so forth to make my ride more efficient.

    Thanks for any and all help you may have contributed.

    Agree - ride your bike.

    Buy a book (or 5) eventually and learn as much as you can. It also helps to know what your goals are.

  4. I agree with the other guys here, just ride and ride and ride. When i first started not too long ago i could only go 30 mins before i started to feel tired. eventually i just did an hour. went out with a more expericend friend and went out for 2 hours admitidly sitting on his wheel the whole way. Next thing i know im cycling for up to 4 hours. Admitidly at only about 60% of my MHR but nevermind as long as i can keep up with the local club im happy for the mo.

    oo and spin, eat sensibly and stay hydrated

  5. redmarkerdown said:

    So I finally bought my first bike and accesories, and am now beginning to ride. However I would like to know some of the basics and essential in training and so forth to make my ride more efficient.

    Thanks for any and all help you may have contributed.


    As you are just new to the sport, any training that you complete will do you good. In the first few months of riding you will see dramatic improvements in your fitness and conditioning. When you feel up to it, i would recommend that you get in contact with your local bike club where they will offer you lots of advice. As you progress, you may wish to look at a coach to write you a specific training program.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.