Basil Overload

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Robert Cordelia, Dec 17, 2003.

  1. I made basil iced tea. Yuck ! Too strong. What to do with such a prolific growth ?

    RC

    Tags:

  2. "Robert Cordelia" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I made basil iced tea. Yuck ! Too strong. What to do with such a prolific growth ?
    >
    > RC

    We like to make a big batch of pesto, then freeze it in ice cube trays. After frozen, pop them
    out and put them in a freezer bag. When you are making sauce and stuff just take a cube out and
    pop it in. YUM!

    CP

  3. Levelwave

    Levelwave Guest

    Robert Cordelia wrote:

    > I made basil iced tea. Yuck ! Too strong. What to do with such a prolific growth ?
    >
    > RC

    Blend with a little olive oil and freeze in ice cube trays... Bag 'n Tag...

    ~john!

    --
    I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep
    like a widow to feel inspired, to fathom the power, to witness the beauty, to bathe in

  4. Wardna

    Wardna Guest

    >What to do

    Wrap it tightly in plastic in quarter-pound portions; freeze it; and pull it out for pesto
    all winter.

    Neil

  5. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    "Robert Cordelia" <[email protected]> writes:

    >What to do with such a prolific growth ?

    Be kind to your neighbors... dry some for your use and give the rest away.

  6. Kswck

    Kswck Guest

    Robert Cordelia wrote:

    > I made basil iced tea. Yuck ! Too strong. What to do with such a prolific growth ?
    >
    > RC

    Others have made the suggestion of pesto. My suggestion is to dry it-if there is

    THAT much of it. If you do not have a dehydrator, place the bail in a brown paper bag and leave in
    the sun for 1-2 weeks. Then just crumble it up or run it through the food processor. Home-dried
    basil has an entirely different taste/shelf life than store bought stuff.