Basin-Sassafras via Mountain Hwy, Victoria, Australia

Its quite a nice ride.

You do need to be wary of drivers/motorcyclists who do head up the hill at a rate of knots.

I live just down the road from The Basin so I've ridden it a few times.

One thing to be wary about is the downhill run. Especially in the wet, it is both freezing cold and very slippery, at times there is quite some run off of dirt/clay and gravel from the high side of the road after heavy rain.

Cheers
Ant

You off on another ride mate,lol I went over to the criteriums on saturday, Man there are some top riders there!!!!.I just watched and asked a few people about the classes etc and got info on cost etc. I think i'll be waiting awhile before I race, it looks like a lot of fun though, but i noticed everyone had the latest bikes so i,m thinking about upgrading to a Gitane mach 1800, I saw one at my Lbs it looks great , good price too , ill keep you up to date , all the best ,
Bayrunner.

flipper said:
It averages 4-5% for 6.75 km. (280m ascent) if that helps.
Averages out to about that, but don't forget that there's a 1.5km false flat section about 3km into the climb. The last part IMO feels a bit steeper, but that's probably because you're starting to hurt by then. Great ride for threshold training repeats.

As another poster said, the decent can be tricky in the wet. Some of the hairpins get a bit of run-off on it.

Other good rides there are the Mt Dandenong Tourist rd from either Ferntree Gully side or opposite side up to Skyline.

My current favourite is the full monty, from bottom of Inverness Rd Mt Evelyn to the observatory, 7.6km climbing 480m. All sorts of grades from 0 to 25% forcing you to shift optimally. A devil of a climb; I like it because I can drop my mate who drops me on the 1/20. :D

So what CAT do we think? CAT 4 etc?
Dini77 said:
Averages out to about that, but don't forget that there's a 1.5km false flat section about 3km into the climb. The last part IMO feels a bit steeper, but that's probably because you're starting to hurt by then. Great ride for threshold training repeats.

As another poster said, the decent can be tricky in the wet. Some of the hairpins get a bit of run-off on it.

Other good rides there are the Mt Dandenong Tourist rd from either Ferntree Gully side or opposite side up to Skyline.

Pablo Juan said:
So what CAT do we think? CAT 4 etc?
I don't know how they work out CAT for a climb.
Here's the climb:
0.75km 5.1%;
1km 4.5%;
1km 4.7%;
1km 2.8%;
1km 2.6%;
1km 5.0%;
1km 4.4%

Thanks. Ever done Mt Hothom from Bright? Last 8 km to village, quite a killer.
flipper said:
I don't know how they work out CAT for a climb.
Here's the climb:
0.75km 5.1%;
1km 4.5%;
1km 4.7%;
1km 2.8%;
1km 2.6%;
1km 5.0%;
1km 4.4%

Pablo Juan said:
Thanks. Ever done Mt Hothom from Bright? Last 8 km to village, quite a killer.
Yep done that - and you're right about the last 8km. Actually the last 3km up to summit is painful. How ugly a feeling is it when you get up CRB and can see the summit on the same level as you then you come round the left hand bend and plummett down the road and realise that you will have to climb again to get back up to the summit....this is after the previous 27km of climbing :eek:.

If you want pain up a hill, give Baw Baw a try. Only Hors cat climb in Australia (well technically it isn't because it isn't long enough, but the ave gradient is equal to or more than anything you'll find anywhere).

Good stuff. Talk again sometime.
Dini77 said:
Yep done that - and you're right about the last 8km. Actually the last 3km up to summit is painful. How ugly a feeling is it when you get up CRB and can see the summit on the same level as you then you come round the left hand bend and plummett down the road and realise that you will have to climb again to get back up to the summit....this is after the previous 27km of climbing :eek:.

If you want pain up a hill, give Baw Baw a try. Only Hors cat climb in Australia (well technically it isn't because it isn't long enough, but the ave gradient is equal to or more than anything you'll find anywhere).