Basket Bracket -where to buy?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Priorpark17, Mar 10, 2003.

  1. Priorpark17

    Priorpark17 Guest

    I saw a wicker basket on a bike attached to the handlebar stem by some kind of bracket that pushed
    it forward 10 cm and thus out of the way of the brake levers and gear levers. I can't track one down
    in the LBS, anyone know what I am talking about?

    Tags:

  2. Thus spake [email protected] (PRIORPARK17)

    > I saw a wicker basket on a bike attached to the handlebar stem by some kind of bracket that pushed
    > it forward 10 cm and thus out of the way of the brake levers and gear levers. I can't track one
    > down in the LBS, anyone know what I am talking about?

    A *long* time ago I bought a wire basket, made by Spencer, I think, with a support from H*lf*rds. I
    doubt that they still sell them, but it might be worth a try.

  3. John Hearns

    John Hearns Guest

    On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 16:51:13 +0000, PRIORPARK17 wrote:

    > I saw a wicker basket on a bike attached to the handlebar stem by some kind of bracket that pushed
    > it forward 10 cm and thus out of the way of the brake levers and gear levers.
    Me too! I went to Tchibo today, and bought one of their 7 quid bar bags. Nice bag - but it wont fit
    on my handlebars due to gear and brake cables.

  4. Rg

    Rg Guest

    I think I have seen something along these lines in a Decathlon store - big French sports shop - "B&Q
    for sports goods sort of place - they only have a few shops in the UK - but they do mail order - see
    website www.decathlon.com or if you are in France they have loads of stores.

    The gadget I have seen seems to fix around the stem/handlebar junction and have "raised prongs" that
    hold a bag or basket clear of the cables - the Decathlon thing may have had a wire basket.

    ... I just had a browse on the Decathlon site and YES there is a range of stuff that meet the need

    RG

    "John Hearns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 16:51:13 +0000, PRIORPARK17 wrote:
    >
    > > I saw a wicker basket on a bike attached to the handlebar stem by some
    kind of
    > > bracket that pushed it forward 10 cm and thus out of the way of the
    brake
    > > levers and gear levers.
    > Me too! I went to Tchibo today, and bought one of their 7 quid bar bags. Nice bag - but it wont
    > fit on my handlebars due to gear and brake cables.

  5. Steve Watkin

    Steve Watkin Guest

    Halfords do still sell them, my local one (Orpington) has stock, but they rub on the front of the
    frame when you turn the handlebars so they are not the best design. Saying that I have been using
    one for a year now on my utility bike and with a plastic protector made from an old pill bottle
    fitted with cable ties there is no sign of wear.

    SW

    "PRIORPARK17" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I saw a wicker basket on a bike attached to the handlebar stem by some
    kind of
    > bracket that pushed it forward 10 cm and thus out of the way of the brake levers and gear levers.
    > I can't track one down in the LBS, anyone know
    what I
    > am talking about?

  6. Steve Watkin

    Steve Watkin Guest

    > Halfords do still sell them, my local one (Orpington) has stock, but they rub on the front of the
    > frame when you turn the handlebars so they are not the best design. Saying that I have been using
    > one for a year now on my utility bike and with a plastic protector made from an old pill bottle
    > fitted with cable ties there is no sign of wear.
    >
    > SW

    "PRIORPARK17" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I saw a wicker basket on a bike attached to the handlebar stem by some
    kind of
    > bracket that pushed it forward 10 cm and thus out of the way of the brake levers and gear levers.
    > I can't track one down in the LBS, anyone know
    what I
    > am talking about?

  7. Thus spake "Steve Watkin" <[email protected]>

    > Halfords do still sell them, my local one (Orpington) has stock, but they rub on the front of the
    > frame when you turn the handlebars so they are not the best design. Saying that I have been using
    > one for a year now on my utility bike and with a plastic protector made from an old pill bottle
    > fitted with cable ties there is no sign of wear.

    I probably bought my basket from Halford's in Orpington. In 1988...

  8. Mike Sales

    Mike Sales Guest

    <pri"PRIORPARK17" wrote in message
    > I saw a wicker basket on a bike attached to the handlebar stem by some
    kind of
    > bracket that pushed it forward 10 cm and thus out of the way of the brake levers and gear levers.
    > I can't track one down in the LBS, anyone know
    what I
    > am talking about?

    Rixen Kaul do a range of well made brackets and baskets (also bags and other gear including their
    well known klik fix pannier hooks.) They are imported by Greyville so you need to find a dealer who
    has an account with them.

    Mike Sales

  9. PRIORPARK17 schrieb:
    > I saw a wicker basket on a bike attached to the handlebar stem by some kind of bracket that pushed
    > it forward 10 cm and thus out of the way of the brake levers and gear levers. I can't track one
    > down in the LBS, anyone know what I am talking about?

    Maybe the URL below may help you:

    <http://www.klickfix.de/lenkere.htm>

    Hans

    --
    Hans Friedlaender <http://hans.friedlaender.org> "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer
    and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at