BASSO admits doping!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bro Deal said:
The "real" winner without dope was likely Dessel or Moreau.
133 Filippo Pozzato (Ita) Quick-Step-Innergetic 3.37.06
134 Cédric Coutouly (Fra) Agritubel 3.39.00
135 Peter Wrolich (Aut) Gerolsteiner 3.39.20
136 Aitor Hernandez (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi 3.50.16
137 Gert Steegmans (Bel) Davitamon-Lotto 3.59.16
138 Jimmy Casper (Fra) Cofidis 4.00.05
139 Wim Vansevenant (Bel) Davitamon-Lotto 4.02.01

I'm going with Jimmy Casper.

Pat speaks the world iistens;

UCI president Pat McQuaid expressed his dismay at hearing the news.

"Most of all I am very sad that a talented rider like Basso seems to have been involved in some illicit practices," he said. "On the other hand I'm trying to look at this news in a more positive light. Our constant efforts, with our other cycling partners, to put cyclists under pressure are paying off.

"Right now it's not easy to break the rules," he added.

whiteboytrash said:
Pat speaks the world iistens;

UCI president Pat McQuaid expressed his dismay at hearing the news.

"Most of all I am very sad that a talented rider like Basso seems to have been involved in some illicit practices," he said. "On the other hand I'm trying to look at this news in a more positive light. Our constant efforts, with our other cycling partners, to put cyclists under pressure are paying off.

"Right now it's not easy to break the rules," he added.
Jeebus! How clueless can one man be?

Bro Deal said:
Jeebus! How clueless can one man be?

Sounds like he had no idea ! I mean it was fairly obvious that Basso was involved.... I wonder if Ullrich will follow ? Landis ? What will the UCI do with all these riders confessing ?

whiteboytrash said:
Sounds like he had no idea ! I mean it was fairly obvious that Basso was involved.... I wonder if Ullrich will follow ? Landis ? What will the UCI do with all these riders confessing ?
Landis will never confess. He, much like Hamilton, has gone too far down the road of denial to turn around.

If it looks like wide scale DNA matching will happen then there will probably be a lot of confessions or sudden retirements.

I don't see why Italian prosecutors, or French ones for that matter, don't charge Fuentes with fraud. It would seem to be a fairly straight forward.

Bro Deal said:
Landis will never confess. He, much like Hamilton, has gone too far down the road of denial to turn around.

If it looks like wide scale DNA matching will happen then there will probably be a lot of confessions or sudden retirements.

I don't see why Italian prosecutors, or French ones for that matter, don't charge Fuentes with fraud. It would seem to be a fairly straight forward.

Fraud of what ? Fuentes to the letter of the law has done nothing wrong and he can prove it.... he can actually can prove the very opposite... he helped sportsmen to protect themselves from injury and burnout... hopefully Basso will assist and they'll get Fuentes on something else like failing to submit a tax return !

Agreed on Landis, he'll never confess now.....

whiteboytrash said:
Fraud of what ? Fuentes to the letter of the law has done nothing wrong and he can prove it.... he can actually can prove the very opposite... he helped sportsmen to protect themselves from injury and burnout... hopefully Basso will assist and they'll get Fuentes on something else like failing to submit a tax return !
I am talking about average, mundane fraud for money. Insurance companies have paid bonuses for bogus wins. Race organizers have paid out prizes for illegitimate victories. Teams have contracts which specifiy no doping and they have paid salaries. Fuentes conspired with riders to defraud a whole host of organizations.

Bro Deal said:
I am talking about average, mundane fraud for money. Insurance companies have paid bonuses for bogus wins. Race organizers have paid out prizes for illegitimate victories. Teams have contracts which specifiy no doping and they have paid salaries. Fuentes conspired with riders to defraud a whole host of organizations.

True... good points... this news has just been released and is interesting:

The office of the anti-doping power of attorney has listened today to Ivan Basso," the CONI Web statement said. "He has widely admitted his own responsibilities relative to Operation Puerto 'and has supplied the maximum collaboration in order to clear up the relative facts of his involvement."

CONI, which acts as Italy's anti-doping body, said Basso had made an impromptu appearance to the authorities Monday to explain his position. He had appeared before a CONI doping hearing Wednesday which was adjourned with no new date fixed.

The Italian cyclist's lawyer, Massimo Martelli, said his client spoke about "methods with which this activity was carried out."

Martelli said he could not disclose the exact contents of what Basso told the CONI prosecutor because the transcript was sealed.

"Basso said, 'The moment has come for me to assume my responsibilities. I only hope that I will be understood,' " Martelli said, adding the rider would "plan his future around the fight against doping."

Basso will not be implicating other riders in the investigation, Martelli said. "This kind of activity was carried out individually," Martelli said in a telephone interview.
"He never saw or heard of other riders" being involved.

whiteboytrash said:
True... good points... this news has just been released and is interesting:

The office of the anti-doping power of attorney has listened today to Ivan Basso," the CONI Web statement said. "He has widely admitted his own responsibilities relative to Operation Puerto 'and has supplied the maximum collaboration in order to clear up the relative facts of his involvement."

CONI, which acts as Italy's anti-doping body, said Basso had made an impromptu appearance to the authorities Monday to explain his position. He had appeared before a CONI doping hearing Wednesday which was adjourned with no new date fixed.

The Italian cyclist's lawyer, Massimo Martelli, said his client spoke about "methods with which this activity was carried out."

Martelli said he could not disclose the exact contents of what Basso told the CONI prosecutor because the transcript was sealed.

"Basso said, 'The moment has come for me to assume my responsibilities. I only hope that I will be understood,' " Martelli said, adding the rider would "plan his future around the fight against doping."

Basso will not be implicating other riders in the investigation, Martelli said. "This kind of activity was carried out individually," Martelli said in a telephone interview.
"He never saw or heard of other riders" being involved.
I don't believe for a moment that Basso was unaware of other riders., but all he needs to do is implicate Fuentes enough that a publicity seeking prosecutor can get his claws into Fuentes and start tearing his skin off. The other riders will naturally get entangled in the investigation.

Yup. Obviously fingering other riders would mean he would never be able to ride again. So he knows nothing about anyone else... LOL.

Bro Deal said:
I don't believe for a moment that Basso was unaware of other riders., but all he needs to do is implicate Fuentes enough that a publicity seeking prosecutor can get his claws into Fuentes and start tearing his skin off. The other riders will naturally get entangled in the investigation.

True just when we thought it was all over now this... the walls will begin caving in now... Fuentes will be running scared along with a lot of riders..... I wonder when Riis is going to comment ?
_____

He did what he did because he loves his sport," said Massimo Martelli. "We looked eachother in the eyes and agreed it would be better to relieve this heavy burden from his shoulders.

"He was not comfortable with himself, he was not okay with himself, he was very nervous and always in trouble.

"During the questioning by the first commissioner he felt better and he started his co-operation. Now he feels good," Martelli added.
_____

For the life of me I cant see how Landis and Hamilton do it... how can they live with themselves... ?

whiteboytrash said:
For the life of me I cant see how Landis and Hamilton do it... how can they live with themselves... ?
At a certain point you must be able to convince yourself that what you did was not illegal/bad/etc.

But it is definitely not just those two...

Bro Deal said:

I agree about FLandis. He's a douche, just like Tyler.

I wonder about Ullrich, though. He is still facing some fraud charges, right? Still incentive for him to cut a deal.

Powerful Pete said:
Basso has admitted that he doped with Fuentes, and has asked to collaborate with the authorities. He hopes to have a lessened suspension as a result.

Gazzetta dello Sport link to the article here. It has also been confirmed on the Coni (Italian Olympic Federation) website at www.coni.it http://www.coni.it.

Finally, a major name owns up to something. I'm sure Basso won't admit anything he doesn't have to, but it does take some courage to do the right when the vast majority of cyclists choose to become lying scumbags after they are caught.

There is probably no chance that he'll implicate anyone at Disco and I'm sure he'll do his best to protect his friends at CSC. Question though: does he nail Riis? How much bad blood is there? Surely he has info that Riis was involved... How could he not be?

What he will probably have to do is give info on Fuentes. And Hopefully its enough to get Fuentes talking not only about who he was working with and what teams he supplied, but also what other doctors are out there. If he can provide enough hints to get on to some other tracks... well some real progress could be made.

Good for Basso. I hope he tells the whole truth. The sport will be better for it in the end.

With all these dopers finally being revealed, it's a good thing we know that Armstrong was able to beat them all just by using a higher cadence. Too bad all the others were too dumb to increase their RPMs and turned to dope instead.

;)

Bro Deal said:
With all these dopers finally being revealed, it's a good think we know that Armstrong was able to beat them all just by using a higher cadence. Too bad all the others were too dumb to increase their RPMs and turned to dope instead.;)
Are you forgetting his big chest ? And his method to win? and the famous yellow "wonderwoman" wristlet?:D

Bro Deal said:
With all these dopers finally being revealed, it's a good think we know that Armstrong was able to beat them all just by using a higher cadence. Too bad all the others were too dumb to increase their RPMs and turned to dope instead.

;)

The edifice collapsed at the turn of the century.

I just hope that the mainstream American news is carrying coverage of Puerto - and that the American public knows that doping was prevalent throughout the period 1999 - 2006.

limerickman said:
The edifice collapsed at the turn of the century.

I just hope that the mainstream American news is carrying coverage of Puerto - and that the American public knows that doping was prevalent throughout the period 1999 - 2006.
Don't bet on it. There will be a small article buried in the sports section of newspapers. There probably won't be any TV coverage at all.

Most U.S. cycling fans have come to realize that the whole sport is dirty; even the thickest of fans have come around to admitting that (check out bobke for instance). The average person does not know jack about the sport and does not care; they will always buy into Armstrong's lies.

Bro Deal said:
Don't bet on it. There will be a small article buried in the sports section of newspapers. There probably won't be any TV coverage at all.

Most U.S. cycling fans have come to realize that the whole sport is dirty; even the thickest of fans have come around to admitting that (check out bobke's for instance). The average person does not know jack about the sport and does not care; they will always buy into Armstrong's lies.
It was on the front page of Yahoo! earlier today (that's how I found out about it), but now has been eclipsed by an article about David Hasselhoff...

It won't get much/any attention. I've actually been impressed by the attention the Landis situation has garnered, but I think that is only because Landis and his PR entourage have forced it on the media. Unfortunately the mass media reporting of Landis has been completely one sided. Most reporters are just repeating everything the Landis camp spews without investigating or even fact checking prior to publication.

Bro Deal said:

There are a few other ways they might be able to nail Fuentes: In addition to the massive sporting fraud you mention above, he was reported to have resumed his doping activities - after Spain changed it's laws and prohibited such activity. Alternatively, once riders start cracking and admitting their relationship with him, they might reopen the investigation into the original claims that he endangered riders' health. Part of the reason for shelving those charges were because everyone initially denied he was extracting and re-injecting their blood. If they now testify that he did, the original charges could be made to stick. Also, there were reports that he was running satellite clinics in Germany, and sourcing his drugs from the Eastern block. As details of his operation start to leak out, it seems likely that there will be cases where he transported drugs across national borders and he could easily have violated any number of laws relating to such activity.

It seems clear that Basso's admission is a major turning point in the Fuentes story. Fuentes will now be a marked man everywhere in the world. Would any major sports figure want to be seen working with him or entering/leaving his clinic? They'd have to be crazy. If it turns out this way, then Fuentes has no future as a dope supplier. Maybe he'll decide to make his money selling his story, naming names and spilling the dirt. Maybe he'll have to provide this info just to avoid or minimize a prison sentence?

Status
Not open for further replies.