Basso admits to doping attempt not to having doped

ilpirata

Aug 19, 2004
So it is all fanfare for nothing. Basso admits to nothing. Names no names. Knows of no one else doping. Tells of no techniques. He admits to a moment of weakness. ha ha ha. He will serve his 2 year suspension and all will be as before for him and for all. Ha ha ha!

I think part of why he is doing this is the following:

Regardless of when his suspensions starts, it clearly should start no later than his recent public confession to attempted doping. That means that at the latest, even if he doesn't get the benefit of an earlier start date to the suspension for having confessed to attempted doping, he can return to the peloton in May 2009 BEFORE the Giro and the Tour (although not to a ProTour team without special dispensation). But a team with Basso is likely to get invited to the Giro and the Tour, assuming the ProTour concept is still around by then.

So, Basso makes sure that, for what he cares about (the Giro and Tour), 2007 counts as one of the years of his two years he will be suspended from those races.

cheapie said:
why wouldn't the races they did this spring count?
It actually worse now than before Monday..... On Monday there was hope but by Tuesday he just like all the rest of them..... to be honest I feel worse about cycling now than I did when this whole mess was uncovered... Basso doesn't care about the sport... if he did he would have fessed up, served his ban and got on with it... with this he is protecting himself and the doping trade... what’s the point ?

whiteboytrash said:
It actually worse now than before Monday..... On Monday there was hope but by Tuesday he just like all the rest of them..... to be honest I feel worse about cycling now than I did when this whole mess was uncovered... Basso doesn't care about the sport... if he did he would have fessed up, served his ban and got on with it... with this he is protecting himself and the doping trade... what’s the point ?
His wording, as I read in the reports seems as if it is specifically worded to keep his 2006 Giro Title / Prize Money / etc.

I think he may have realized that yesterday's admission might mean losing the Giro title, having to pay back the prize money, etc. etc.

Not sure what to think anymore, but this was almost expected. I think he may have received some threatening phone calls from other Puerto riders who told him that they were going to use the Jaksche defense. "So what if I have blood in Spain, that doesn't prove that I doped in a race."

It's a mess.

whiteboytrash said:
very true WBT, we are in a worse state than before. All hope is lost.

whiteboytrash said:
i agree 100%. i kinda like the guy and thought better of him when it seemed he came clean. not so much now, huh? :rolleyes:

Backpedaling already?

Get a clue, Ivan. Look at Hamilton. If there's one thing worse than a doper, it's a hypocrite.

Rolfrae said:
very true WBT, we are in a worse state than before. All hope is lost.
In fact it was better when we thought he might be doping but still riding for DC.... now its a sham... the whole show.... I can understand him protecting his money earned but they way it was released yesterday was that he was wrestling with his conscience and demons and has now done the right thing.... ********... he was backed into a corner and got out the best way he could...

whiteboytrash said:
In fact it was better when we thought he might be doping but still riding for DC.... now its a sham... the whole show.... I can understand him protecting his money earned but they way it was released yesterday was that he was wrestling with his conscience and demons and has now done the right thing.... ********... he was backed into a corner and got out the best way he could...
It's two fingers up to all of us. It's actually like he was going to admit it all and then he got a few phonecalls in the night and suddenly he's only going to admit to thinking about doping. His two year ban needs to start as from today. The only reason he didn't race during 2006 was because he agreed with his team's request to withdraw him, essentially of his own volition.

Here is more on the evidence they have against Basso.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2007/may07/may08news2

3. A fax, outlined in page 15 of the dossier, that was sent from Fuentes to Nelson Giraldo Flores (in Colombia) in the days leading up to the "festival Mayo" (or Giro d'Italia). Fuentes wrote, "As per our agreement, I am sending a list of collaborators and participants in the festival that takes place in May;" going on to ask Colombian Flores for "help and collaboration." It listed riders Basso, Marco Serrano, Michele Scarponi, Gutierrez and Jan Ullrich (spelled with one "l" in the fax) without the use of code names.

4. An agenda with a schedule of blood extractions and transfusions since 2004. In the agenda the pseudonyms 'Birillo' and '2' are used.

That number 4 mentions extractions and transfusions against 'birillo' and '2' which we know is Basso. I'm wondering just how he expects to get away with this. The only way he could have made it worse for himself would be to lie during his confession, which clearly he is doing. I have zero sympathy and respect for him now.

whiteboytrash said:

Exactly. Screw Basso. Like most other cyclists in the Pro peloton, he apparently ditched his conscience as soon as he turned pro. I can't believe he takes his fans for such chumps. What a complete and utter jerk. I have no respect for him at all. None.

tcklyde said:
Exactly. Screw Basso. Like most other cyclists in the Pro peloton, he apparently ditched his conscience as soon as he turned pro. I can't believe he takes his fans for such chumps. What a complete and utter jerk. I have no respect for him at all. None.

I agree completely. If Basso thinks anyone is buying his story of "attempting/planning" to dope but not actually doing it, he probably is on something now.

Just look at his performance in the Giro last year compared to the year before. Last year he dropped his competition in the mountains like they had lead in their shorts. The year before his teammates had to push him up in one mountain stage to keep from loosing so much time that he might not haqve made the time cut otherwise.

I just read an article about this "confession" and I got sick. Such a crappy lies!!! I haven't read such a ridiculous things for years. Why does he agree to suspension if HE HAS NEVER DOPED?

Ban him forever. Find more than one doping episode in OP and give two seperate suspensions where the second means LB. And get rid of those EPO dopers that could stay on Lance's wheel and sometimes even beat him. Why is still Vino riding?

Powerful Pete said:
Because he said they are 'minor'. :D

Or that they were not ProTour races (e.g., Tour of CA).

Basso's reasons for admitting to attempted doping instead of actual doping are:

1) He's trying to protect his Giro title and other titles, as discussed by others.
2) He may be trying to protect Riis, from arguments as to how Basso could have been doping for a long time without Riis knowing about it.
3) He may be trying to protect other riders at CSC.
4) He may be trying to protect his own reputation as a great rider, for when he re-enters the peloton.

Oh good God, its the old "I tried to smoke dope but I did not inhale defense". I don't know whether to laugh or cry. This is perhaps the worst of the worst, or at least I hope so. How much worse can it get? I fear pro cycling as we know it has been destroyed. I guess that maybe **** dealers and gambling sites may still want to be sponsors of pro cycling, but what reputable company would want to get mixed up in this mess?

brownbear said:
I agree completely. If Basso thinks anyone is buying his story of "attempting/planning" to dope but not actually doing it, he probably is on something now.

<snipped>
Well why wouldn't 'fans' believe him? How many folks out there still believe Hamilton? Landis? Good god, fans are ready to believe that there is a huge conspiracy between ASO, UCI and now USADA to get the latest american winner of the Tour - what story is more believable ? And of course, lets not even bring in the LA name into this discussion.

Of course he doped.Of course he lied. Unfortunately, that is the system in place, and no one really wants to change it. As long as the pretense of cleaning the sport is in place (done by nailing a few big names), then the sponsors are happy, money keeps rolling in, organizers put on more races and play politics with the UCI, **** Pound keeps on shouting off his big mouth, and the riders keep on taking anything that they think will make them faster, stronger, survive better all along with the teams approval.

Only two things have changed since the beginning of the sport: better doping and naive fans.