Basso, best in the world this year....

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by Fixey, Jul 28, 2005.

1. rejobako

rejobako New Member

I think the argument for Basso is based on potential. He was obviously coming on strong in the Giro, winning two of the later stages consecutively, including a mountaintop finish and an ITT. And I'd give him a lot of credit for refusing to quit in the event. It would have been easy for him to just withdraw after getting sick and prepare for the TdF, but he stuck it out and got some good results late. (Think about trying to ride 190K with dysentery -- :eek: )

And I must agree with those who question why you don't believe finishing second in the TdF is "particularly impressive". They erect a final podium with three places for a reason: finishing #2 in a grand tour is an achievement worth honoring.

That being said, I have to agree that although Basso looks like he has the most potential to be the grand tour cyclist of the immediate future -- his glory years remain ahead of him. Basso aspires to be a great grand tour cyclist, but I don't think you can be called the best in the world at it until you actually win won. Potential is nice, but they don't give awards for it.

2. mareblu

mareblu New Member

3. musette

musette New Member

I would agree that Basso has some "potential", but cyclists don't always realize their "potential" fully. For example, it is commonly asserted that JU has more inherent potential for cycling greatness than does LA. :p

4. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

We are all talking about sex and you are always so serious.... ! get a life !

5. wicklow200

wicklow200 New Member

Wow! Finishing 2nd in the Tour isn't impressive? That's crazy. Finishing the damn tour in last place is impressive enough on its own, not to mention a podium place.

6. wicklow200

wicklow200 New Member

Basso, based on the 2 grand tours, for sure. But Di Luca has to be the best rider overall this year so far based on his great perfomances in the classics and the giro.

7. MJtje

MJtje New Member

What about Tom Boonen.....................!!!!!!!!! don't underestimate what he's doing and the pressure that surrounds him. He's a god in Belgium, he's haunted everyday, but somehow he lives very good with the pressure! More pressure on him then on a Di Luca...........!

8. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I think the question was who is the best rider of the season so far : all the comments thus far are centred on the Giro and TDF.
    What about the classics or stage races ?

For me Jullich has had an excellent season - two great wins in the early season.
    Freire has been consistent up to his recent injury.
    Petacchi and Boonen have won stages aplenty.

Basso did well to recover in the Giro and second place in the TDF is a good result.
    He's certainly a contender for rider of the season thus far, but there are others.

9. Fixey

Fixey New Member

I agree there are others, I quess what impressed me so much is that he rode 2 grand tours to win (Sort of). I still dont believe Basso attacked LA, every time he left LA he sat up, ie when JU and basso got away Basso looked back, saw no Lance and waited....Im not saying he could have put lance into trouble, but I believe he was riding for second place with Lance's help!

10. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

You obviously a 30 minute highlight man.... did you see the stage to AX 3 Domaines ? When the T-Mobile attacked dropped Armstrong then Basso attacked and put 5 seconds into Armstrong, Ullrich joined him and they worked together with KK, then Landis for about 5km at one point gaining almost 25 seconds.... I'm sorry mate you missed all this because it was very exciting ! Armstrong to his credit saw the danger and jumped out of the Rassmussen group caught Basso / Ullrich when Basso attacked again..... it was a great stage......

11. Fixey

Fixey New Member

Dont Assume dude, makes you look silly. I did watch the whole stage, and in my opinion Basso backed up when JU cought him without LA, but when LA rejoined (I think less than 5k) Basso seemed to fire up again.

12. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

Ok we have different interpretations then, which is fine........ just to make sure you did watch the whole stage, which team was on the front of the peleton before T-Mobile went to the front and lifted the pace ?

13. Fixey

Fixey New Member

Stuffed if I remember to be honest, but it would be easy enough to check, I put the whole tour, every full stage, on DVD's : )
    I get a bit bored of Paul Sherwyn and Phil Liggit (whom I detest as a commentater) so I drift along reading till the fun stuff starts.
    Now just to check you know your Ar$e from your ankle... what colour undies did Tom Boonan wear on the day before he pulled out of the tour?

14. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

None as he was wearing cycling knicks....... (the defence counsel rests his case the answer was the Euskaltel

15. Fixey

Fixey New Member

LOL, well done, just making sure you actually new a little about cycling :)
    nevr heard em called knicks before though..... is that an Americanism?

16. mitosis

mitosis New Member

They are knicks in Australia.

17. Fixey

Fixey New Member

Bugger me, in NZ we call them......shorts
    boring eh?

18. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

What do you call sheep shagging ?

19. musette

musette New Member

Daily Peloton interview with Basso:

"Daily Peloton: This year you raced in both the Giro and the Tour. Now that you're a heavy contender for the overall in the Tour, will you race both next year or concentrate on the Tour.

Ivan Basso: Maybe I'll do both.

DP: Is it hard to accomplish the double?

Basso: No. It's hard, but I didn't feel bad this year so I think I will try again next year.

Is that something that CSC wants you to do? Or do you personally have that goal?

Normally what I want to do is what Bjarne wants me to do. We decide together."

Hmm, doesn't seem like Basso is going to skip the Giro next year; I personally think that's a mistake. :p

20. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

Finally! :cool: With Armstrong gone the illogical total focus on the Tour will (hopefully) recede. Basso is an Italian and is rightly very concerned about doing well (and if possible winning) the Giro. And, as an Italian, I cannot agree more! :D

I very much hope that this is the beginning of a return to more traditional cycling, with team leaders riding at least two tours with the intention of doing well in both.