Basso: 'I have had no contact from any judge, investigator, the UCI'



H

h squared

Guest
Carl Sundquist wrote:

> "h squared" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>
>
>>i tried to watch but don't think i'll continue. watching makes me
>>depressed, so what's the point of that?
>>

>
>
> Stay away from Pantani's associates.
>
>


it's stupid of me to be depressed, i agree.

h
 
D

Donald Munro

Guest
Tom Kunich wrote:
> When motorcycle helmet laws came up I was working in a motorcycle shop


Goody, a helmet thread just in time for the TDF.
 
D

Donald Munro

Guest
h squared wrote:
> it's stupid of me to be depressed, i agree.


Probably to much commuting leading to existential angst. Buy yourself a
copy of 'the scream'.
 
C

Curtis L. Russell

Guest
On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 17:14:20 +0100, Simon Brooke
<[email protected]> wrote:

>And the people making the accusations don't even have the guts to pick up
>the phone and ask to hear the accused's side of the story. It makes you
>sick.


Their timeline isn't your timeline. Due process only requires that the
accused get their moment to speak. Basso can afford lawyers. Unless
there is a mob with a rope ready to take Ullrich and Basso (OK, I
guess a mob with two ropes or little sense of clean justice) out to a
tree and lynch today, we can wait.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
 
C

Curtis L. Russell

Guest
On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 21:16:36 +0100, Simon Brooke
<[email protected]> wrote:

>
>Yup. Almost certainly it has. If it was clear evidence, would we not know
>about it by now? What motivation would anyone have for withholding
>information on such clear evidence? The silence implies that it does not
>link anyone important with the blood.


Why this presumption? Anyone heard about collection labs/agencies
drawing blood to use as a necessary donor match? Since protocols and
procedures exist to get to a 99.95% match, they won't go to court
without doing exactly that.

When the riders have been approached to do a controlled collection to
provide the best match results, and about two weeks have passed, then
you can probably start talking about 'certainly has'.

The funny thing is, if the standards are low and you have a procedure
that can be typed as 70% accurate, you can win the case; come in with
70% when the standard is just below 100% and they'll send you back to
school.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
 
S

Stu Fleming

Guest
Donald Munro wrote:
> h squared wrote:
>
>>it's stupid of me to be depressed, i agree.

>
>
> Probably to much commuting leading to existential angst. Buy yourself a
> copy of 'the scream'.
>


Or just steal it.
 
S

Simon Brooke

Guest
in message <[email protected]>, h squared
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Sandy wrote:
>
>> And I am going to watch, anyway. I watched the World Cup, after all.

>
> i tried to watch but don't think i'll continue. watching makes me
> depressed, so what's the point of that?


I'm watching.

It was great to see the Bouygues boys out in the break, it was great to
yell for Tom Boonen even if he went too early and couldn't do it, it was
shocking to see the blood spray off Thor Hushovd's arm - I didn't think
that actually happened, I thought that was just a slasher movie
convention. What a way to mess up a yellow jersey! What happened to his
2004 one? Did that get ripped in the crash?

I'm sorry that those who've gone have gone. I'm still hoping that some of
them will be cleared. I'm sorry that some who are still riding are at
least equally tainted. But... Life wouldn't be the same without these
guys. Seeing Big Magnus winding up for the sprint. Desperately trying to
identify which of the Bouygues guys have gone in the break. Seeing the
peloton in full flight, that blurring mass of colour and talent.

I simply cannot see the drugs issue in black and white. It isn't. Yes,
I'm half convinced that the need to clean up the sport is sufficiently
urgent for draconian measures to need to be taken, but for me personally
Basso is still a hero even if he doped (and Headstrong is still a
villain even if he didn't).

So I'll still be bouncing on the sofa yelling for Bouygues and CSC and
for people like Tom Boonen and Big Maggie and Axel Mercx and possibly
even David Millar (I really liked his attitude in his post-prologue
interview yesterday), I'll still be watching out in other races for
Leonardo Piepolli and Nick Nuyens.

Yes, yet another scandal has taken a bit of the gloss off but I'm
surprised how little, really, for me. Let's face it, in this sport we're
used to scandals.

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

;; When your hammer is C++, everything begins to look like a thumb.
 
H

Howard Kveck

Guest
In article <[email protected]>,
h squared <[email protected]> wrote:

> Sandy wrote:
>
> > And I am going to watch, anyway. I watched the World Cup, after all.
> >

>
> i tried to watch but don't think i'll continue. watching makes me
> depressed, so what's the point of that?


"That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger." Or something.

--
tanx,
Howard

Never take a tenant with a monkey.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
 
S

Smokey

Guest
[email protected] wrote:
> Simon Brooke wrote:
> > Quote from:
> > http://www.velonews.com/tour2006/news/articles/10193.0.html
> >
> > "Riis still believes me. I told him I have nothing to do with the Fuentes
> > story, but he said I was suspended until all this business is over. Now
> > my lawyers will be doing the talking for me," Basso said. "I have had no
> > contact from any judge, any investigator, no one from the UCI. I left
> > because of the Ethics Code, there was no other option, but I have
> > nothing to hide."
> >
> > What gets me is the line 'I have had no contact from any judge, any
> > investigator, no one from the UCI'. These people - Basso, Ullrich,
> > Mancebo and all the others - are having their livelihood literally taken
> > away from them. Their reputations are being tarnished for ever. For
> > Ullrich in particular this is possibly his last real chance to win the
> > Tour again.
> >
> > And the people making the accusations don't even have the guts to pick up
> > the phone and ask to hear the accused's side of the story. It makes you
> > sick. I'm not asking for justice here - in a case like this 'justice'
> > may be too abstract a concept. But, for heaven's sake, just basic human
> > decency.
> >
> > --
> > [email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
> >
> > ;; Want to know what SCO stands for?
> > ;; http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20030605

>
>
> What I find strange about this affair, is that the documents were only
> delivered on Friday, just in time to really screw everthing up.
> Couldn't they have been ready a week ago ?
>
> Alex


My sentiments exactly. It seemed as though they timed this to get the
maximum sensationalistic exposure. Anyone want to bet that they had
this stuff well in advance of the tour?

Smokey
 
C

Curtis L. Russell

Guest
On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 12:08:47 -0700, Howard Kveck
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger." Or something.


With the problem being, of course, all those things that can kill you.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
 
R

RonSonic

Guest
On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 12:08:47 -0700, Howard Kveck <[email protected]>
wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> h squared <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Sandy wrote:
>>
>> > And I am going to watch, anyway. I watched the World Cup, after all.
>> >

>>
>> i tried to watch but don't think i'll continue. watching makes me
>> depressed, so what's the point of that?

>
> "That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger." Or something.


And eventually something will.

Ron
 
S

Simon Brooke

Guest
in message <[email protected]>, Curtis L.
Russell ('[email protected]') wrote:

> On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 17:14:20 +0100, Simon Brooke
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>And the people making the accusations don't even have the guts to pick
>>up the phone and ask to hear the accused's side of the story. It makes
>>you sick.

>
> Their timeline isn't your timeline. Due process only requires that the
> accused get their moment to speak. Basso can afford lawyers. Unless
> there is a mob with a rope ready to take Ullrich and Basso (OK, I
> guess a mob with two ropes or little sense of clean justice) out to a
> tree and lynch today, we can wait.


They did. Didn't you notice?

Ullrich has almost certainly been robbed - permanently - of his last
chance for a second Tour win. Basso has almost certainly been robbed -
permanently - of his best chance to win the Giro and the Tour in one
year. You can never give those things back to them.

If, after all this, either or both is found to be innocent, are you going
to say 'sorry, lads, no offence meant'?

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

;; better than your average performing pineapple
 
S

Simon Brooke

Guest
in message <[email protected]>, Smokey
('[email protected]') wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:
>>
>> What I find strange about this affair, is that the documents were only
>> delivered on Friday, just in time to really screw everthing up.
>> Couldn't they have been ready a week ago ?

>
> My sentiments exactly. It seemed as though they timed this to get the
> maximum sensationalistic exposure. Anyone want to bet that they had
> this stuff well in advance of the tour?


You don't have to bet. It's history. They had this stuff in May.

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

Morning had broken, and there was nothing we could do but wait
patiently for the RAC to arrive.
 
K

Keith

Guest
On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 10:44:16 +0100, Simon Brooke
<[email protected]> wrote:

>in message <[email protected]>, Smokey
>('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>> [email protected] wrote:
>>>
>>> What I find strange about this affair, is that the documents were only
>>> delivered on Friday, just in time to really screw everthing up.
>>> Couldn't they have been ready a week ago ?

>>
>> My sentiments exactly. It seemed as though they timed this to get the
>> maximum sensationalistic exposure. Anyone want to bet that they had
>> this stuff well in advance of the tour?

>
>You don't have to bet. It's history. They had this stuff in May.


Right, they knew it was coming, if they were inocent they had all the
time they needed to fight it off instead of signing false reps and
hoping it would just go away.

Ullrich robbed me of 10 years of rooting for a dope "pun intended",
may he rot in hell !
 
C

Curtis L. Russell

Guest
On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 10:41:49 +0100, Simon Brooke
<[email protected]> wrote:

>If, after all this, either or both is found to be innocent, are you going
>to say 'sorry, lads, no offence meant'?


Why would I? I'm no more than a spectator, and, besides, being from
the U.S., would say "no offense". However, it is what it is. People
are each making decisions from their point of view and best interests.
If you don't want to be in that position, you don't hand people the
reason to make the decision in the first place.

**** happens. Sometimes a world champion watches a team dissolve
around him for things that happen before he arrived. How many people
are crying about Astarloa's run of bad luck beyond his control? His
lost opportunities? Part of the sport.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
 
B

Bob Martin

Guest
in 511158 20060703 114646 Keith <[email protected]> wrote:

>Ullrich robbed me of 10 years of rooting for a dope "pun intended",
>may he rot in hell !


So sue him.
 
K

Keith

Guest
On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 11:01:14 GMT, Bob Martin <[email protected]>
wrote:

>in 511158 20060703 114646 Keith <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Ullrich robbed me of 10 years of rooting for a dope "pun intended",
>>may he rot in hell !

>
>So sue him.


I think you're missing the point, besides he may have other fish to
fry at this point, as well as reflect on the shame that will follow
him for the rest of his life, unlike his nemesis LA who not only
thrashed him over the years but came out clean !
 
B

Bill C

Guest
Sandy wrote:
> h squared a écrit :
> > Sandy wrote:
> >
> >> And I am going to watch, anyway. I watched the World Cup, after all.
> >>

> >
> > i tried to watch but don't think i'll continue. watching makes me
> > depressed, so what's the point of that?
> >
> > heather
> >

> I guess US viewers have had little interest since (not) qualifying.
> Here, we were in the streets until 3AM.
>
> --
>
> Bonne route !
>
> Sandy
> Verneuil-sur-Seine FR


The really amazing thing isn't how much my wife and I miss living in
Europe, but how much the kids miss it and want to go back. They largely
grew up there, and we keep in touch through friends and family. My
sister-in-law and her son who are both dual citizens usually go back to
Paris for the summers where she teaches courses and gives seminars.
Being associated with several universities is a great thing for her.
Just wish we could work something out since we've been asked to come
back to help out with everything from the Tour of Germany on down.
Someday after the kids are all in college maybe we'll be able to go
back and stay again.
Best to all of you!
I wish I felt as good about Germany's chances as I do France's though.
I'm afraid Italy has our number.
Bill C
 
R

Robert Chung

Guest
h squared wrote:

> no, i meant watching the tour makes me depressed, not the world cup :)


You know, I wondered how I'd feel in watching but when I flipped on the TV
yesterday afternoon it seemed pretty normal. Of course, the early flat
stages are interesting for completely different reasons than, say, the
stages in the second and third weeks.
 

Similar threads