Basso off the hook and to ride for CSC (tomorrow)....

whiteboytrash

Mar 9, 2005
ROME Giro d'Italia champion Ivan Basso requested Friday that a doping inquiry against him be dropped. The Italian Olympic Committee's anti-doping commission said it needed more time to evaluate the case.

Basso, who was excluded from the Tour de France after being implicated in a Spanish doping investigation, has denied using banned substances.

"It's been four months that I've been in this situation. For the time being, nothing has changed," Basso said after the closed hearing at Rome's Olympic Stadium.

It was his second hearing in a month.

The committee can refer the case to the Italian Cycling Federation's disciplinary body, which would try the rider or dismiss the case.

CONI officials said a decision was expected in a matter of days or weeks.

"I'm awaiting the decision with confidence," Basso said. "I've always been optimistic, I've answered all the questions."

Basso was among nine riders — including German veteran Jan Ullrich — withdrawn from the Tour de France on the eve of the race. Their names had turned up on a list of cyclists who allegedly had contact with a Spanish doctor accused of running a blood doping clinic in Madrid.

Basso's lawyer, Claudio Martelli, said Friday the rider is not under investigation in Spain.

Basso also said he's ready to return to cycling immediately if the case is dropped.

"I could race even tomorrow," he said. "I continue to train with dedication and intensity."

A representative of Danish team CSC, which suspended Basso, also took part in the hearing, which lasted over an hour.

Basso said that after the decision, he would meet with top officials of the team to "discuss the future." The rider, who won the Giro d'Italia in May for his first major title, is contracted until 2008.

That doesn't mean Basso is going back to CSC. It means he is contracted with them until 2008, but he needs to discuss things with them.

I have no doubt that Basso has a productive future in cycle racing. Damn shame that we may never know who would have won between him and Jan without Armstrong in the mix.
I feel cheated!

musette said:
That doesn't mean Basso is going back to CSC. It means he is contracted with them until 2008, but he needs to discuss things with them.
"A representative of Danish team CSC, which suspended Basso, also took part in the hearing, which lasted over an hour."

- They came along for the tea & coffee ?

jhuskey said:
I have no doubt that Basso has a productive future in cycle racing. Damn shame that we may never know who would have won between him and Jan without Armstrong in the mix.
I feel cheated!

I agree with you, JH.

whiteboytrash said:
"A representative of Danish team CSC, which suspended Basso, also took part in the hearing, which lasted over an hour."

Basso is a CSC-man.

Of course there were rumblings earlier that Basso wanted more money and Riis was unwilling to divy up the cash.

Only a big money team could afford to buy Basso out of his CSC contract and pay him what he (Basso) thinks he's worth.
That rules out DC. They're not in the running - if Basso decides that he wants out (and I don't think IB does want out from CSC).

If anyone can come up with the money - it's the men from the East.
In a word - Astana.

jhuskey said:
I feel cheated!
Yes i feel cheated as well! :mad:

musette said:

Well, if you are lucky, cheater Ivan Basso can join Discovery and keep on cheating with a team that loves cheaters.

jhuskey said:
I feel cheated!

Yeah, I suppose it would be a good race. And since they shared the same Doctor, it might have even been sort of even.

But I don't feel cheated. There was and is still a cloud over Basso and though there may not be enough evidence to prove it in the Federation, Basso has strong links to cheating. I am glad he wasn't in the Tour. It's just too bad they didn't kick Floyd out, too, before it started. It will be to cyclings continuing disgrace if Basso is in a bike race before the end of this year. He has a lot of explaining to do.

limerickman said:
If anyone can come up with the money - it's the men from the East.
In a word - Astana.
They have money, but not incentive. Basso will want to ride the Tour, and Astana will not put Basso before Vino.

Let's see, a team for an Italian, second chances, a new life... Amore e Vita? Hmm, just looked, more eastern europeans than italians this year.

Wasn't there some Italian team that took on a "fallen angel" of some sort?

JRMDC said:
They have money, but not incentive. Basso will want to ride the Tour, and Astana will not put Basso before Vino.

Let's see, a team for an Italian, second chances, a new life... Amore e Vita? Hmm, just looked, more eastern europeans than italians this year.

Wasn't there some Italian team that took on a "fallen angel" of some sort?
In Salzburg i heard rumours about Basso going to Liquigas...Discovery... Milram... I think we better wait what will happen.

patch70 said:
They will be hard to beat! (Assuming Basso has been training well all this time).
Well, he continues to tell everyone that he has been training hard...

Powerful Pete said:
Well, he continues to tell everyone that he has been training hard...
Training in Hamburg no doubt..... be interesting to see his form... in the Giro he was a machine.... if he can't hold a Cancellera's wheel then he better get a refill fast....

whiteboytrash said:

To safeguard CSC, regardless of whether Basso is returning. After all, at the time of the alleged infractions relating to Operacion Puerto, Basso was a CSC rider.

I am not saying that Basso won't go back to CSC under any circumstance. Just that the presence of a CSC rep doesn't tell us anything in that regard that is persuasive. :cool:

To my understanding Basso is still at CSC and was not released. Jan was fired from T-Mobile,we know this.
As far as where either of them will land is up in the air for next season,as far as I know.
Basso will undoubtedly sign with someone,barring adverse circumstances.