Basso still making handcrafted frames?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Matt O'Toole, Jun 26, 2003.

  1. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    I just looked at Basso's website, and I see no mention of their traditional, fillet brazed frames.
    Has the Gap been discontinued? Is Basso just a name now?

    Matt O.

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, "Matt O'Toole"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I just looked at Basso's website, and I see no mention of their traditional, fillet brazed frames.
    > Has the Gap been discontinued? Is Basso just a
    name now?

    > Matt O.

    Yes, they are doing the same type of alu/carbon stuff that all the other companies are doing now.

  3. Bfd

    Bfd Guest

    [email protected] (chiefhiawatha) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > In article <[email protected]>, "Matt O'Toole"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > I just looked at Basso's website, and I see no mention of their traditional, fillet brazed
    > > frames. Has the Gap been discontinued? Is Basso just a
    > name now?
    > >
    > > Matt O.
    >
    > Yes, they are doing the same type of alu/carbon stuff that all the other companies are doing now.

    Since alot of the big name Italian builders like Cinelli, Masi, Viner, Casati, and others are now
    selling alu/carbon frames made in Taiwan or China, the question still remains....

  4. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

  5. Bfd

    Bfd Guest

    "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I just looked at Basso's website, and I see no mention of their
    > traditional,
    > > fillet brazed frames. Has the Gap been discontinued? Is Basso just a
    > name now?
    >
    > Right. Aluminum, carbon and aluminum/carbon models only now.
    > http://www.yellowjersey.org/basso3.html

    So where are these "new" Basso made - Italy or are they the same cookie cutter frames sold by other
    *Italian* companies and are actually made in Taiwan/China?

  6. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "bfd" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > So where are these "new" Basso made - Italy or are they the same cookie cutter frames sold by
    > other *Italian* companies and are actually made in Taiwan/China?

    Basso actually builds frames in Vicenza A close friend was at their factory a month ago and they
    were welding alumnium then. Every model? I don't know that but I have no reason not to believe the
    Basso brothers either.

  7. Bfd

    Bfd Guest

    "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > traditional,
    > > > name now?
    >
    > > "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > Right. Aluminum, carbon and aluminum/carbon models only now.
    > > > http://www.yellowjersey.org/basso3.html
    >

    > "bfd" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > So where are these "new" Basso made - Italy or are they the same cookie cutter frames sold by
    > > other *Italian* companies and are actually made in Taiwan/China?
    >
    > Basso actually builds frames in Vicenza A close friend was at their factory a month ago and they
    > were welding alumnium then. Every model? I don't know that but I have no reason not to believe the
    Basso
    > brothers either.
    > --
    Thanks for the info on Basso. Basso makes or maybe I should say made excellent frames. I really like
    their older steel ones like the Gap. Too bad the "demand" for steel forced them to make only alu or
    alu/carbon. Hopefully, these newer frames are as well made and durable.....

  8. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > traditional,
    > > > name now?
    >
    > > "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > Right. Aluminum, carbon and aluminum/carbon models only now.
    > > > http://www.yellowjersey.org/basso3.html
    >

    > "bfd" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > So where are these "new" Basso made - Italy or are they the same cookie cutter frames sold by
    > > other *Italian* companies and are actually made in Taiwan/China?
    >
    > Basso actually builds frames in Vicenza A close friend was at their factory a month ago and they
    > were welding alumnium then. Every model? I don't know that but I have no reason not to believe the
    > Basso brothers either.

    Well, that's a bummer. It's not that Chinese frames are bad or that I have anything against
    aluminum or carbon fiber. It's that Basso's Gap frames were really neat, fillet brazed and all
    that, for like $700.

    I'm sure it's more profitable for Basso to make alu/carbon frames. They can tout the lightweight,
    high-tech angle as well as the already established Basso name, and charge a lot more for 'em. Plus
    they're probably less expensive to make.

    But if I wanted a lightweight plastic blob, I could just go down to the LBS and buy an off the rack
    Trek -- and probably get a better bike, for a lot less money, with a great warranty too.

    Matt O.