Basso, the third man to win Triple crown?

Andrija

Feb 16, 2005
Do you think Basso can win Triple crown?
I see him winning Giro. He is clear favorite for Tour too, but I can't say he'll win it for sure and the World road race parcourse in Salzburg isn't so bad for him. So, maybe, if he does Giro-Tour double, Italians decide to put him as a leader instead of Bettini who has better chances on this kind of course.

Can't see it myself - but won't it be great to watch riders who actually want to do more than just win the TdF?

The Italians would be mad - after all the disappointment of 2005 - to not make Bettini captain for the Worlds.

micron said:
Can't see it myself - but won't it be great to watch riders who actually want to do more than just win the TdF?

The Italians would be mad - after all the disappointment of 2005 - to not make Bettini captain for the Worlds.

I just saw the Danish movie "Overcoming" featuring CSC, Riis and Basso.
In terms of this thread, the relevant comments from the movie were Riis trying to get a sense from Basso what his seasom would be post Tour de France. I believe this was eith right before or leading up to the Tour.

All Basso would say was lets see how the Tour goes and how I feel after.
Meaning, it is impossible to hold that kind of form for long and the level of fatigue and exhaustion that the Tour riders face is unbeleivable...actually moreso for the domestiques, which this film made very clear.

Basso would only ride the Worlds ceremoniously. Although he did well at Zurich a few years ago.
What is the profile like?

of the worlds I mean

Andrija said:
http://www.salzburg-2006.com/en/223_239.html
As I said, it isn't bad for him, but it isn't ideal either. It's better for Bettini and, I'd say, it's ideal for Valverde.

Indeed. And the Spanish seem to be much better at picking a team to produce a winner... at least recently. If AV wins in Salzburg he can be the first rainbow jersey wearer to win the TdF (2007) since Lemond!

DiabloScott said:
If AV wins in Salzburg he can be the first rainbow jersey wearer to win the TdF (2007) since Lemond!
Maybe, maybe... But I think Basso's rule will last more than just one year (if he wins next TDF).

DiabloScott said:
Indeed. And the Spanish seem to be much better at picking a team to produce a winner... at least recently. If AV wins in Salzburg he can be the first rainbow jersey wearer to win the TdF (2007) since Lemond!
He still too young for win Tour of France 2007!

I'd rather see an attacking rider like Valverde assert himself as le patron than a follower like Basso

Bjørn P.Dal said:
He'll be 29 next autum ffs!
I believe he was referring to Valverde, not Basso, in response to the question about Valverde being the first Rainbow Jersey wearer to win the TDF since Lemond

Capt.Injury said:
I believe he was referring to Valverde, not Basso, in response to the question about Valverde being the first Rainbow Jersey wearer to win the TDF since Lemond

me bad. :|

Bjørn P.Dal said:
He'll be 29 next autum ffs!

Valverde will be 27 for the 2007 TdF... the perfect age.
Average age for TdF winners is 27.8
Youngest was Cornet 1904 age 20
Oldest was Lambot 1922 age 36

DiabloScott said:
THe numbers of the average winner might still be about the same, but it probably be better to find the average age winners since probably Post WW II, because the sports has evovled since then with the more oriented tactics to defend a leader or two, the additions of riders from many different countries across the world, plus the evolution of the route from a poibnt system and 6 stages, to the double digit days of stages.

Capt.Injury said:
THe numbers of the average winner might still be about the same, but it probably be better to find the average age winners since probably Post WW II, because the sports has evovled since then with the more oriented tactics to defend a leader or two, the additions of riders from many different countries across the world, plus the evolution of the route from a poibnt system and 6 stages, to the double digit days of stages.

I thought so too, but I was wrong. In the modern era, post WWII, the average age is 27.9 In the pre-war era the average was 27.6 and for all Tours it is 27.8. In the last 20 years the number is a smidge higher because of the Indurain and Armstrong strings. Essentially no difference though.

Valverde will be in the prime of his career in a couple years.

Andrija said:
I see him winning Giro. He is clear favorite for Tour too, but I can't say he'll win it for sure and the World road race parcourse in Salzburg isn't so bad for him. So, maybe, if he does Giro-Tour double, Italians decide to put him as a leader instead of Bettini who has better chances on this kind of course.
Basso won`t win the worlds and i`m not sure he will win the Tour and/or Giro: watch Cunego - Simoni (Giro), Valverde -Ullrich - MENTCHOV (who was ill last year but had a great Vuelta with a very weak team, but next years Tour his teammates are Boogerd, Weening, Dekker, Rasmussen) at the Tour....

cyclingheroes said:
Basso won`t win the worlds and i`m not sure he will win the Tour and/or Giro: watch Cunego - Simoni (Giro), Valverde -Ullrich - MENTCHOV (who was ill last year but had a great Vuelta with a very weak team, but next years Tour his teammates are Boogerd, Weening, Dekker, Rasmussen) at the Tour....
Yes, Valverde was out with a knee problem, Mentchov was ill but (IMHO) consistancy is important too in considering your 2006 TdF predictions. Also, as far as Mentchov goes, I'm not sure you can count Rasmussen as one of his domestiques. The Dane will be to busy trying to follow in Virenques footsteps.

I have to predict Basso because I think he'll gain time on his main opponents in the mountain stages and his TT improved significantly from 2004 to 2005. If he can bring that up a notch further for 2006, he won't lose the time back to others in the ITTs.

DiabloScott said:

I'd be interested to know the average age of a rider winning his FIRST Tour though, i'll bet it's more like 23-4.

Chris_E said:
I'd be interested to know the average age of a rider winning his FIRST Tour though, i'll bet it's more like 23-4.

You're right, that would be an interesting stat. So would the average age of riders winning their LAST Tour. Spreadsheet's on my other computer though... wait for it.

padawan said:
Yes, Valverde was out with a knee problem, Mentchov was ill but (IMHO) consistancy is important too in considering your 2006 TdF predictions. Also, as far as Mentchov goes, I'm not sure you can count Rasmussen as one of his domestiques. The Dane will be to busy trying to follow in Virenques footsteps.
Ì am pretty convinced Menchov can win the Tour. He is stronger as many people think. As far as Rasmussen is concerned, he will ride for Menchov, but will get his own chances as well. Menchov stoll has a lot of riders who will work for him.

Andrija said:
I think he really wants to win the Tour de France more than the Giro, but if he can win both I am sure it's double happiness. :D