BAsso to sign for Disco 'this afternoon'

McQuaid seems like a megalomaniac the likes of Big **** Pound. They like the sound of their own voices and appear to open their mouths without thinking. They also open their mouths to further their own careers, seemingly with little or no concern for sport.

I'll say it again. Hunches, rumours, speculation, etc., amount to nothing. Shows us the facts about OP and Basso, JU, etc. Make them public. Six months and nothing tangible.

Reading between the lines Riis wanted to keep Basso but McQuaid threatened him. Time for DC to take to war to the UCI and McQuaid.

Serafino said:
McQuaid seems like a megalomaniac the likes of Big **** Pound. They like the sound of their own voices and appear to open their mouths without thinking. They also open their mouths to further their own careers, seemingly with little or no concern for sport.

I'll say it again. Hunches, rumours, speculation, etc., amount to nothing. Shows us the facts about OP and Basso, JU, etc. Make them public. Six months and nothing tangible.

Reading between the lines Riis wanted to keep Basso but McQuaid threatened him. Time for DC to take to war to the UCI and McQuaid.

This is Pandoras box.

The fact is that the banning of JU/Basso/Mancebo happened.
CSC were pressured in to letting Basso go.
These are not hunches, they're facts.

Yes, one can question the wisdom of the UCI's pressuring the teams back in June 2006 when Puerto broke.
(some of us here said at the time that Puerto contained nothing and it has transpired so).

But the fact is that the composition of TMO/CSC/AG2R has changed due to this pressure.
And there is a bunch of team managers who are ****** of with what has happened.
In addition you have three riders (Mancebo/Ullrich/Basso) who have missed out on potential GT wins in 2006 too.
And you've got race organisers who are ****** off becuase these riders were
not allowed to participate in their races.

DC will do what they're told to do - by the UCI.

Serafino said:

Aye.

Thanks for posting that WBT, it was a good insight into Riis' dilemma. Talk about a rock and a hard place.

It also shows how f**ked up cycling is currently. It angers me that to date nothing has come of OP, and we have the UCI saying down the track that will make something of OP.

I think riders implicated by OP and the teams that sign them may have a bit of fight on there hands, but my gut feeling is that the fight will be in their favour; as currently the evidence appears flakey and fragmented at best.

I don't think Discovery would have signed Basso unless they had a damn good idea of how they may need to defend him down the track and how well that defense will stand up. No wonder they had 4 different lawyers from different nations review the situation.

Of course as per usual the loser here is going to be the sport and the fans; as well as the actual truth. The truth will be buried in half baked evidence and law suits.

The UCI will be trying to stamp their authority and will want to be seen as being tough on doping; further more they will want to save face as they stopped the sports biggest names from riding last years Tour. If these guys are cleared they the UCI is going to have egg its face.

And then you’re going to have the riders fighting black and blue to prove their innocence.

The only way we will really know is by testing riders DNA samples against those blood bags.

Can someone explain to me what’s stopping the UCI from saying any rider who wants to ride in UCI sanctioned races in 2007 needs to give a DNA sample, which will be compared to the blood bags found in OP, and then destroyed?

If you’re clean you ride, if your not you don't, if you don’t give a sample you don't. I know this takes away the notion of being innocent until proven guilty, but something needs to give.

Serafino said:
Well put. From the extract that WBT has posted it sounds like the pressure was coming from the UCI rather than his sponsor, CSC.

It would be stupid to begin a war now. OP is still under investigation. All people have better to wait.
I would be very surprise if nothing come out OP with 200 blood bags , video, bank transfers, bank accounts. Many new pieces can pop up, forcing people going back.
So, wait and see, and act in time if it's needed.

limerickman said:
This is Pandoras box.

The fact is that the banning of JU/Basso/Mancebo happened.
CSC were pressured in to letting Basso go.
These are not hunches, they're facts.

Yes, one can question the wisdom of the UCI's pressuring the teams back in June 2006 when Puerto broke.
(some of us here said at the time that Puerto contained nothing and it has transpired so).

But the fact is that the composition of TMO/CSC/AG2R has changed due to this pressure.
And there is a bunch of team managers who are ****** of with what has happened.
In addition you have three riders (Mancebo/Ullrich/Basso) who have missed out on potential GT wins in 2006 too.
And you've got race organisers who are ****** off becuase these riders were
not allowed to participate in their races.

DC will do what they're told to do - by the UCI.

The fact is that Galileo was censured by the Roman Catholic Church.
That is a fact not a rumor or a hunch.

The pope told Galileo the earth is flat not spherical.
That is a fact not a hunch!
A lot of priests and church goers were ****** off by what Galileo said.
Some people questioned at the time whether the pope was right to censure a brilliant scientist.
But what matters is that everyone agreed at the outset what the rules of the game were...if Galileo didnt agree...he didnt have to publish results of his research.

Galileo had to do what he was told to do--by the pope.

Cycling is a small, eurocentric club.
The club cant stand it when Americans trump their caste system.
Lemond, Armstrong, Hamilton, and Landis have all been punished in different ways.
The rulers are a small coterie of former riders and druggies themselves.
Jean Marie Leblanc is not the pope.
The patron is dead, long live the new patron, NOT
The sport will live on.
The Tour de France may die in the process.
It will find new birth in America.

The same thing happened with democracy.
Flourished in America.
Died in France.

bobke said:

Some people questioned at the time whether the pope was right to censure a brilliant scientist.
But what matters is that everyone agreed at the outset what the rules of the game were...if Galileo didnt agree...he didnt have to publish results of his research.

Lemond, Armstrong, Hamilton, and Landis have all been punished in different ways.
The sport will live on.

Flourished in America.
Died in France.
Yet more boring, paranoid, delusional, xenophobic, Americocentric rubbish from bobke. What a d!ckhead you are.

You really need to get out more to learn that America is not the centre of the universe. Nor is it you.

limerickman said:
Contained nothing? There were 200 bags of blood, a DS with large quantity of cash and ice cold blood......

Nothing has really transpired yet. There is info out there that will hang the riders that are guilty when released. DC will have to deal with that PR fallout after hiring Basso..... and looking at JU's case, the teams are running from him...that in it's self makes him look guilty.

How was the UCI supposed to handle this????? It broke just before the TDF? JU and Basso's name was linked to this.......To allow them on the bike would have destroyed the TDF in most peoples eyes.
Mcquaid and the UCI did not donate the blood that was found. The riders put the sport in trouble, not the UCI.

There are some riders that are guilty. We know there is a #1 Jan. Riis was very quick to release Basso. And Jan is still currently looking like the biggest problem cycling ever has. No body wants near him. Vino is hired, Basso is hired, so why not Jan??? The teams know exactly who was involved. And when we look at the money involved, I doubt if it was just support riders.

acpinto said:
Hamilton has a team???
Maybe but Mancebo has got one now....

Mancebo was one of nine riders caught up in the Spanish doping scandal and banned from the Tour de France, and has not competed on the ProTour since the scandal broke.

"It's concrete, we have received a good offer from Tinkoff," Mancebo's representative David Plaza told As. "But Mancebo still has another season left on his contract with Ag2R and our intention is that he will complete that."

But Ag2R manager Vincent Lavenu has already stated his intent to drop the 30-year-old from the team due to the allegations made against him.

While there are no rules and regulations preventing Mancebo from competing again, all ProTour teams with the exception of the Discovery Channel team, CSC and Manolo Saiz' prospective outfit signed a pact agreeing not to take on any riders under suspicion of doping.

Tinkoff, an ambitious continental team, have already signed American Tyler Hamilton, and have been linked with a move for Jan Ullrich.

The possible recruitment of Francisco Mancebo could open the door to an invitation to compete in next year's Vuelta a Espana.

bobke said:

The sport will live on.

Flourished in America.
Died in France.

What team did Galileo ride with?

bobke said:

The sport will live on.

Flourished in America.
Died in France.
ROTFL! :D Excellent! :D One of the very best posts I have read in a long time! :rolleyes:

Tour de France/USA, Phase II!

Powerful Pete said:
ROTFL! :D Excellent! :D One of the very best posts I have read in a long time! :rolleyes:

Tour de France/USA, Phase II!
Don't think it can't happen. Americans support cyclists. Why, just the other day I was out on a training ride with a couple friends and a guy threw a bottle of beer at us.

I mean, c'mon. I bet motorists in Europe aren't handing out beer to cyclists.

helmutRoole2 said:
Don't think it can't happen. Americans support cyclists. Why, just the other day I was out on a training ride with a couple friends and a guy threw a bottle of beer at us.

I mean, c'mon. I bet motorists in Europe aren't handing out beer to cyclists.

It will actually be called the Tour de Freedom Fries,sponsored by McDonalds.Later to be referred to as the McRace.
As far as the beer bottles,the people that I am familiar are very rude. They empty the bottles before they throw them.
This is just not good form.

Well i didn't throw them (they were empty tough..:D )

jhuskey said:
It will actually be called the Tour de Freedom Fries,sponsored by McDonalds.Later to be referred to as the McRace.
As far as the beer bottles,the people that I am familiar are very rude. They empty the bottles before they throw them.
This is just not good form.