BAsso to sign for Disco 'this afternoon'

jonjungel said:
Where is musette :confused:?.... Maybe her heart and brain exploded...
She is celebrating with a bottle of Lambrusco at the moment, and she better do it now because soon Jan will win the 2007 Giro ...:D

Rolfrae said:
He can give a DNA sample but if the Spanish authorities continue to refuse to hand over the blood bags for the purposes of DNA comparison then it is a meaningless gesture.
Christ, as if Basso is responsible for the Spanish authorities cooperation or lack of it

Its one thing to be sceptical, but what more the **** can Basso do than what has been demanded of him all this time. If the story is true that is

Give the guy a break, eh?

whiteboytrash said:
No they agreed to part ways not to terminate the contract. This needed to be cleared up once Basso found a new team.
Bollox! They agreed to part. End of story.

Riis has his sponsors thumb up his ass, and thats why he threw the book at Basso before the Tour. Sponsors wanted clear of Basso and thats what they got. Why would they receive any compo for that?

wicklow200 said:
Christ, as if Basso is responsible for the Spanish authorities cooperation or lack of it

Its one thing to be sceptical, but what more the **** can Basso do than what has been demanded of him all this time. If the story is true that is

Give the guy a break, eh?

If the story is true...a frickin' DNA test would give us all a definitive answer and put an end to this ****. We can put an end to this by pretending the likes of Basso haven't been doping or we could do it with the truth. I know what I'd prefer - even if it would put half the peleton in the ****. I also don't think this is fair on the riders; the team management needs to help carry the can. I don't believe for a second that Riis thought Basso was riding clean and still competing against the likes of Basso - he's probably just miffed that Basso kept Fuentes a secret, and that he didn't discover blood doping for himself back in the 90s.

Rolfrae said:
If the story is true...a frickin' DNA test would give us all a definitive answer and put an end to this ****. We can put an end to this by pretending the likes of Basso haven't been doping or we could do it with the truth. I know what I'd prefer - even if it would put half the peleton in the ****. I also don't think this is fair on the riders; the team management needs to help carry the can. I don't believe for a second that Riis thought Basso was riding clean and still competing against the likes of Basso - he's probably just miffed that Basso kept Fuentes a secret, and that he didn't discover blood doping for himself back in the 90s.
A DNA test wouldn't help. Completly ignored by most media: Valenciana agreed with a DNA comparison in July. The Guardia Civil send the blood probes of all Valenciana back to the team with a letter explaining that they wouldn't make a DNA comparison since they were not investigating the riders. Spanish media published it and some english speaking websites.

cyclingheroes said:
A DNA test wouldn't help. Completly ignored by most media: Valenciana agreed with a DNA comparison in July. The Guardia Civil send the blood probes of all Valenciana back to the team with a letter explaining that they wouldn't make a DNA comparison since they were not investigating the riders. Spanish media published it and some english speaking websites.

A DNA test WOULD help; I think what you mean is Basso submitting his DNA won't help as the Spanish won't allow it to be used for comparison.

Rolfrae said:
A DNA test WOULD help; I think what you mean is Basso submitting his DNA won't help as the Spanish won't allow it to be used for comparison.
It won't help. What would help is fighting corruption inside the cycling federations. Here in Germany there is a new scandal. In january the doctor who should do the doping control was replaced by the team doctor of cyclo cross national champion jens Sickmüller... Oh yeah it was at the national championships wre Sickmüller became became national champion and yes federation officials were there, they organized the championships (and now say, well the Hamburg office of the federation did). As long as things like that happens you can install all kind of programms, DNA etc. etc. but it won't mean anything!

I couldn't agree with you more ch. That is where the fight should be taken and won, if there is to be any hope of successfully holding teams and riders accountable.

I'm going to open a bottle of Taittinger Comtes de Champagne 96 soon :p

It was clear Basso would end up at DC, from the time CSC released him (and earlier, when Riis started saying things about Puerto, ec.). What other team would give him the $$, the rider support and the great DS he needed and also would not have a leader by this late in the season? What other team that he was not on had coveted him for a while, and had Basso's idol around to help him?

At least during this period, Basso learned to keep his mouth shut and let DC and its people do the talking.

This probably means Popo will leave, but Basso is not a bad trade for Popo. ;)

musette said:
I'm going to open a bottle of Taittinger Comtes de Champagne 96 soon :p

It was clear Basso would end up at DC, from the time CSC released him (and earlier, when Riis started saying things about Puerto, ec.). What other team would give him the $$, the rider support and the great DS he needed and also would not have a leader by this late in the season? What other team that he was not on had coveted him for a while, and had Basso's idol around to help him?

At least during this period, Basso learned to keep his mouth shut and let DC and its people do the talking.

This probably means Popo will leave, but Basso is not a bad trade for Popo. ;)
Hey, are you a girl? I mean someone mentioned that you were. I just thought I'd check into it, see if the rumors were true.

Maybe what cycling needs to do is this...... And do this on a united front. Suspend all ongoing investigations against riders/teams. Re-instate all suspended riders. Eliminate any punishment that involves doping up to this point.
Then on Jan1,2007 have new rules in place that really deals with doping.

Go outside of the sport to hire the doctors that run the teams. The team doctors are all from one organization that pays the doctors wages, not the team. The team has to pay into this organization.
The results of the doctor testing on every rider gets put into a data bank.
Then have a head doc who tests individual riders during every GT or stage race. This would be a overview on the organizations doctors and the riders.

Now that's a good starting point !

wolfix said:
Maybe what cycling needs to do is this...... And do this on a united front. Suspend all ongoing investigations against riders/teams. Re-instate all suspended riders. Eliminate any punishment that involves doping up to this point.

Go outside of the sport to hire the doctors that run the teams. The team doctors are all from one organization that pays the doctors wages, not the team. The team has to pay into this organization.
Then have a head doc who tests individual riders during every GT or stage race. This would be a overview on the organizations doctors and the riders.

wolfix said:

Wolf,you better go take a whiz and then go back to bed. You are very deep in a dream state. :D

helmutRoole2 said:
Hey, are you a girl? I mean someone mentioned that you were. I just thought I'd check into it, see if the rumors were true.

No, I am not a girl. But I am a woman (difference extends beyond terminology to not according a "girl" the respect she deserves; how would you feel if I asked whether you were a "boy"?).

jhuskey said:
Wolf,you better go take a whiz and then go back to bed. You are very deep in a dream state. :D
But the idea is good! (McQuaid will probebly have called the cops by now and asked for a search warrant, that idea will cost Wolf his harddisc :D )

Rolfrae said:
If the story is true...a frickin' DNA test would give us all a definitive answer and put an end to this ****.
I meant if its true that Basso is going to give DNA, not if its true he's been doping.

Im not sure he will give his DNA - his lawyers are quoted as being against. But if he does, then its case closed as far as Im concerned, and roll on his first tour win.