BAsso to sign for Disco 'this afternoon'

cyclingheroes said:
But the idea is good! (McQuaid will probebly have called the cops by now and asked for a search warrant, that idea will cost Wolf his harddisc :D )

They will probably take some DNA sample also. I would offer McQuaid a DNA sample from the under side of my commode seat.

musette said:
No, I am not a girl. But I am a woman (difference extends beyond terminology to not according a "girl" the respect she deserves; how would you feel if I asked whether you were a "boy"?).
Hmmm. Well stated. Watch out for Martin Jackson. Now that your gender is public knowledge he'll be working all the angles. If he gets out of control, let me know. I've got his cell. He regards himself quite the ladies' man.

musette said:
No, I am not a girl. But I am a woman (difference extends beyond terminology to not according a "girl" the respect she deserves; how would you feel if I asked whether you were a "boy"?).
Hey, what's up, baby. :)

cyclingheroes said:
A DNA test wouldn't help. Completly ignored by most media: Valenciana agreed with a DNA comparison in July. The Guardia Civil send the blood probes of all Valenciana back to the team with a letter explaining that they wouldn't make a DNA comparison since they were not investigating the riders. Spanish media published it and some english speaking websites.
Yes it would. Its a gesture. A gesture to say I'm clean. A gesture not for Puerto but for any future doping scandals. Its statement to say I don't associate in blood doping and I'm happy for you to keep my DNA on record if such an event ever occurred again. Its a mark to say I support the teams, I support the fight against doping. Unfortunately for Basso he has to do it. He just has to otherwise guilty or innocent the drug cloud will always hang over his head along with DC's continued acceptance of drug use.

I wonder how the other riders will accept Basso ?

My gender has been public for a long time, if you read the older threads.

As I have stated, comments made on topics other than cycling speak more to the provider of the comments than to the person to whom the comments are made. ;)

Getting back to the thread, Bruyneel is smart to lock up Basso for 3 years. He easily has the money to pay Basso because he is no longer saddled with the salaries of Ace, Il Falco, Beltran, etc. Salaries of Ace + Il Falco + Hoste + Hammond were probably enough to cover Basso.

I'm not talking about Puerto I'm talking about the new team code of ethics which has requested riders provide DNA samples to be kept on record for blood matching against any future scandles. Funny that Bruyneel failed to show for that meeting ??

foxvi said:
Why should IB supply a DNA sample - the whole investigation in Spain by the police is being blow apart with the head investigator being summoned to court as it is suspected documents have been falsified. God knows what they may have done with blood bags. Would you trust a sample to this mickey mouse investigation. Why are people not questioning the investigation and continually pointing fingers at riders - it may be they are innocent? IB is not a murderer for goddness sake.

I never thought I would say this after years of disliking Postal/DSC but well done Discovery in this signing.

Why should IB supply a DNA sample - the whole investigation in Spain by the police is being blow apart with the head investigator being summoned to court as it is suspected documents have been falsified. God knows what they may have done with blood bags. Would you trust a sample to this mickey mouse investigation. Why are people not questioning the investigation and continually pointing fingers at riders - it may be they are innocent? IB is not a murderer for goddness sake.

I never thought I would say this after years of disliking Postal/DSC but well done Discovery in this signing.

I hope Basso comes to San Francisco for the Tour of California. He came to do the last San Francisco Grand Prix and had people going crazy, put him in a Discovery jersey and folks will go wild.

I wouldn't be surprised if the ASO played some hard ball to keep him out of the Tour though so I predict he'll target the Giro and Discovery will play the Levi/Popo card in France.

musette said:
My gender has been public for a long time, if you read the older threads.

As I have stated, comments made on topics other than cycling speak more to the provider of the comments than to the person to whom the comments are made. ;)
What? Are you blowing me off? Can't be. It's never happened before.

The International Cycling Union will organise a meeting with AIGCP
(Association of Trade Teams) representatives and the CPA (Professional Riders’ Association) on
Friday 10 November 2006 in Geneva.

The UCI ‘s initiative will enable the parties concerned to have a joint discussion on the latest developments of Operation Puerto and on the various problems with the possible introduction of a DNA test for riders.

The UCI sincerely hopes that this meeting will make a concrete contribution to establish the basis of a vital consensus in order to progress with discussions regarding the next measures that will be taken to fight against doping.

foxvi said:

whiteboytrash said:
The International Cycling Union will organise a meeting with AIGCP
(Association of Trade Teams) representatives and the CPA (Professional Riders’ Association) on
Friday 10 November 2006 in Geneva.

The UCI ‘s initiative will enable the parties concerned to have a joint discussion on the latest developments of Operation Puerto and on the various problems with the possible introduction of a DNA test for riders.

The UCI sincerely hopes that this meeting will make a concrete contribution to establish the basis of a vital consensus in order to progress with discussions regarding the next measures that will be taken to fight against doping.
I should imagine another agenda item will be: 'What the flipping hell are we, the UCI and trade teams going to do about the ASO inviting who they want to their races' Looks like next season will be war in cycling.

DiabloScott said:
I hope Basso comes to San Francisco for the Tour of California. He came to do the last San Francisco Grand Prix and had people going crazy, put him in a Discovery jersey and folks will go wild.

I am sure Basso will not be in the Tour of California. DC needs to appease Levi, and they have promised him sole leadership of CA (query whether Danielson would be happy with this), among other races. Even bringing Basso might be aggravating the situation from the DC team perspective. So, I know Basso will not be in CA and I strongly suspect Basso will not race Georgia.

And I can assure you also that, if Basso is cleared to race, he will race the Tour and DC will prepare him to focus on that. Popo and/or Levi would race the Giro and the Vuelta.

musette said:
I am sure Basso will not be in the Tour of California. DC needs to appease Levi, and they have promised him sole leadership of CA (query whether Danielson would be happy with this), among other races. Even bringing Basso might be aggravating the situation from the DC team perspective. So, I know Basso will not be in CA and I strongly suspect Basso will not race Georgia.

And I can assure you also that, if Basso is cleared to race, he will race the Tour and DC will prepare him to focus on that. Popo and/or Levi would race the Giro and the Vuelta.
The lastest ProCycling has an interview with Levi where he states the Tour is not his main objective. He wants Tour of Germany, DL and maybe the Vuelta.

Official paceline notice:

Ivan Basso will be riding with the Discovery Channel team in the coming 2007 season, Johan Bruyneel, the team's director announced today. Basso has signed a two-season contract with Tailwind Sports, which owns the Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team.

"We are excited about Ivan joining the team," Bruyneel said, "and we're looking forward to having him at Discovery Channel's training camp in Austin on December 3."

Bill Stapleton, General Manager of the Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team, has grown to know Ivan as a chief rival of seven-time Tour de France champion Lance Armstrong. "On behalf of Tailwind Sports, Capital Sports & Entertainment and all of our sponsors, I am very excited to have Ivan as a part of the Team", said Stapleton. "During Lance's final Tour's Ivan pushed Lance to a new level and we expect great things from him in 2007."

The Italian Cycling Federation on 27 October 2006 dropped an inquiry into Basso's alleged involvement in the Spanish "Operacion Puerto" investigation following the Italian Olympic Committee's decision clearing him.

Ivan Basso has now been cleared by his country's top governing sports organizations which examined more than 500 pages of documents and determined on the merits that not only is there no proof of any involvement in illegal practices, but there is no justification for bringing a disciplinary proceeding against Basso.

Billy Campbell, President of Discovery Networks U.S. commented on the signing, stating "Discovery Communications is proud to welcome Ivan Basso to the Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team. Team Discovery is a truly world class organization with deep international focus. He is a tremendous talent who only enhances an already strong roster. We look forward to a successful and winning 2007 for the entire Discovery Channel team."

musette said:
Official paceline notice:

Ivan Basso will be riding with the Discovery Channel team in the coming 2007 season, Johan Bruyneel, the team's director announced today. Basso has signed a two-season contract with Tailwind Sports, which owns the Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team.

"We are excited about Ivan joining the team," Bruyneel said, "and we're looking forward to having him at Discovery Channel's training camp in Austin on December 3."

Bill Stapleton, General Manager of the Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team, has grown to know Ivan as a chief rival of seven-time Tour de France champion Lance Armstrong. "On behalf of Tailwind Sports, Capital Sports & Entertainment and all of our sponsors, I am very excited to have Ivan as a part of the Team", said Stapleton. "During Lance's final Tour's Ivan pushed Lance to a new level and we expect great things from him in 2007."

The Italian Cycling Federation on 27 October 2006 dropped an inquiry into Basso's alleged involvement in the Spanish "Operacion Puerto" investigation following the Italian Olympic Committee's decision clearing him.

Ivan Basso has now been cleared by his country's top governing sports organizations which examined more than 500 pages of documents and determined on the merits that not only is there no proof of any involvement in illegal practices, but there is no justification for bringing a disciplinary proceeding against Basso.

Billy Campbell, President of Discovery Networks U.S. commented on the signing, stating "Discovery Communications is proud to welcome Ivan Basso to the Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team. Team Discovery is a truly world class organization with deep international focus. He is a tremendous talent who only enhances an already strong roster. We look forward to a successful and winning 2007 for the entire Discovery Channel team."
Is Bill Stapleton, General Manager of the Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team, any relative of Bob Stapleton now Team Manager at TMobile?

Bill Stapleton = LA's agent and close friend

DC team is co-managed by Tailwind Sports and Capital Sports Entertainment.

Bill Stapleton is one of the founders of Capital Sports Entertainment.There are three principals -- Stapleton; Bart Knaggs (yep, the cycling-involved guy); and Charlie Jones.

At one point at least, Stapleton was CEO of Tailwind.

musette said:
Bill Stapleton = LA's agent and close friend

I believe one of the founders of Capital Sports Entertainment.

DC team is co-managed by Tailwind Sports and Capital Sports Entertainment. Stapleton has involvement in at least one of those, if not both (including possible equity). Bruyneel also has some interest in at least one of those entities, or in entities holding direct or indirect equity interests in such entity.
Thanks but is 'Bill' of DC related to Bob Stapleton, also an american and a millionaire apparently and was head of TMO's ladies team, but took over from Ludwig in October with Ralf ALdag as the new team leaders at T Mobile? It is an unusal surname so I just thought they may be related? It would ironic if they where!

foxvi said:
Thanks but is 'Bill' of DC related to Bob Stapleton, also an american and a millionaire apparently and was head of TMO's ladies team, but took over from Ludwig in October with Ralf ALdag as the new team leaders at T Mobile? It is an unusal surname so I just thought they may be related? It would ironic if they where!
They once had gay sex together which produced a female love child..... where is she now ?

whiteboytrash said:
I have to agree with you; If he doesn't supply a DNA sample Bruyneel will be under pressure when the likes of T-Mobile and CSC have a defined doping policy.

Secondary if he does provide a DNA sample and cum July next year the Spanish Police open up the blood bags to be tested once their investigation has completed he could be in for one hell of a scare ! Then what ? Withdraw from the Tour (again) ?

If he's innocent then he'll provide the sample in line with the ethics code from the teams association and get on with the job of winning the Tour. Something tells me as well this is not over.

Lastly his contract with CSC; Riis made a significant investment in Basso. He's a shrewd money man. There is no way Riis will let him go with our compensation from either Basso or DC. Remember that Basso and Riis agreed to part ways but Basso owes Riis two years of service.

No way Basso will turn over his real DNA. Bruyneel has been cheating the system his whole career. Probably be some assist DS's blood in that sample rather than Basso's.