Basso Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Pistof, Jul 21, 2004.

  1. Pistof

    Pistof Guest

    He hasn't secured 2nd my any stretch of the imagination. He didn't look as
    good as he has in recent stages. I'm betting he will be weaker than Ullrich
    tomorrow. He certainly will lose more time in the TT.

    Dave

    Tags:

  2. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Pistof" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > He hasn't secured 2nd my any stretch of the imagination. He didn't look

    as
    > good as he has in recent stages.

    I could see at the start (first moments of video feed) that he was not going
    as well. I did not even need to see the clock to see he was not having a
    good day. He did pick up the pace once Lance caught him. This confirms my
    suspicion that I have had all along about Basso. He is super strong but has
    a hard time working while alone, whether in an ITT or a break.

    > I'm betting he will be weaker than Ullrich
    > tomorrow.

    If he does falter, it will be from the pressure. Ullrich is one of the best,
    but Basso is climbing at the highest level right now and he should easily
    hang on to the front group. Basso has not lost time on the road to any
    Ullrich or Armstrong. If Ullrich was to ignore Armstrong and go for only
    second place, then he prabably could attack Basso. I think Ullrich will not
    attack unless he can get Armstrong and if that happens Ullrich may find
    himself OTB again.

    >He certainly will lose more time in the TT.

    No doubt at all. His true Achilles heal is long flat ITTs.

    > Dave

  3. Dave H

    Dave H Guest

    > "Pistof" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > He hasn't secured 2nd my any stretch of the imagination. He didn't look

    > as
    > > good as he has in recent stages.

    > I could see at the start (first moments of video feed) that he was not

    going
    > as well. I did not even need to see the clock to see he was not having a
    > good day. He did pick up the pace once Lance caught him. This confirms my
    > suspicion that I have had all along about Basso. He is super strong but

    has
    > a hard time working while alone, whether in an ITT or a break.
    >

    > > I'm betting he will be weaker than Ullrich
    > > tomorrow.

    > If he does falter, it will be from the pressure. Ullrich is one of the

    best,
    > but Basso is climbing at the highest level right now and he should easily
    > hang on to the front group. Basso has not lost time on the road to any
    > Ullrich or Armstrong. If Ullrich was to ignore Armstrong and go for only
    > second place, then he prabably could attack Basso. I think Ullrich will

    not
    > attack unless he can get Armstrong and if that happens Ullrich may find
    > himself OTB again.
    >
    > >He certainly will lose more time in the TT.

    > No doubt at all. His true Achilles heal is long flat ITTs.
    >

    > > Dave

  4. JMS

    JMS Guest

    "Pistof" <[email protected]> wrote...
    > He hasn't secured 2nd my any stretch of the imagination. He didn't look

    as
    > good as he has in recent stages. I'm betting he will be weaker than

    Ullrich
    > tomorrow. He certainly will lose more time in the TT.

    I don't think he will lose time tomorrow. The Postals will be keeping all
    of them on a short leash (ie, Ullrich, Kloden, Basso), and somehow I doubt
    that any of them will attack, as they probably will have more to lose than
    to gain by doing so. And based on the past days, I don't see Basso getting
    dropped simply from the pace. I expect them all to finish more-or-less
    together with Armstrong, with some lower-ranked breakaway winning the stage.

    But I do agree that Basso's second place is in trouble in the ITT. Not from
    Ullrich, over whom he has more than 4 minutes advantage, but from Kloden
    (who he leads by just 1.15). Based on what we saw today, I am expecting
    that Kloden can probably go a lot faster than Basso in a long ITT at this
    point.

    JMS

  5. Ernst Noch

    Ernst Noch Guest

    JMS wrote:

    > I don't think he will lose time tomorrow. The Postals will be keeping =

    all
    > of them on a short leash (ie, Ullrich, Kloden, Basso), and somehow I do=

    ubt
    > that any of them will attack, as they probably will have more to lose t=

    han
    > to gain by doing so. And based on the past days, I don't see Basso get=

    ting
    > dropped simply from the pace. I expect them all to finish more-or-less=

    > together with Armstrong, with some lower-ranked breakaway winning the s=

    tage.
    >=20
    > But I do agree that Basso's second place is in trouble in the ITT. Not=

    from
    > Ullrich, over whom he has more than 4 minutes advantage, but from Klode=

    > (who he leads by just 1.15). Based on what we saw today, I am expectin=

    > that Kloden can probably go a lot faster than Basso in a long ITT at th=

    is
    > point.
    >=20

    Don't forget that Kl=F6den and Ullrich together can now do to CSC what=20
    Ullrich & Vino maybe (maybe!) could've done against Lance. CSC will have =

    to counter any attack of one of them. If Basso is not in top notch=20
    shape, they could get him in trouble. My bet is that he will at most get =

    3rd in the end.

  6. Jack Hollis

    Jack Hollis Guest

    On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 20:17:22 GMT, "JMS" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >But I do agree that Basso's second place is in trouble in the ITT. Not from
    >Ullrich, over whom he has more than 4 minutes advantage, but from Kloden
    >(who he leads by just 1.15). Based on what we saw today, I am expecting
    >that Kloden can probably go a lot faster than Basso in a long ITT at this
    >point.

    I would imagind thet Basso, Kloden and Ullrich will be very close
    after Saturday's ITT. All three could be within 30 seconds of each
    other and it's anybody's guess what the order will be.

  7. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    > If he does falter, it will be from the pressure. Ullrich is one of the

    best,
    > but Basso is climbing at the highest level right now and he should easily
    > hang on to the front group. Basso has not lost time on the road to any
    > Ullrich or Armstrong. If Ullrich was to ignore Armstrong and go for only
    > second place, then he prabably could attack Basso. I think Ullrich will

    not
    > attack unless he can get Armstrong and if that happens Ullrich may find
    > himself OTB again.

    Tomorrow Ullrich and Armstrong will be the final break and Ivan will fall
    off the pace.

  8. TritonRider

    TritonRider Guest

    >From: "Tom Kunich" [email protected]

    >Tomorrow Ullrich and Armstrong will be the final break and Ivan will fall
    >off the pace.

    Now that Jan has it together that wouldn't surprise me a bit. I say Lance gets
    it by 12s over Jan with a late acceleration.
    Bill C

  9. "Pistof" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > He hasn't secured 2nd my any stretch of the imagination. He didn't look as
    > good as he has in recent stages. I'm betting he will be weaker than Ullrich
    > tomorrow. He certainly will lose more time in the TT.
    >
    > Dave

    Since Ullrich is such a poor descender, maybe on the downhill run to
    Le Grand Bornand, he'll attack. Lance and everyone else would be able
    to chase, but Jan might cough up a few seconds.

  10. Chris

    Chris Guest

    news:D[email protected]
    > "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > If he does falter, it will be from the pressure. Ullrich is one of the

    > best,
    > > but Basso is climbing at the highest level right now and he should

    easily
    > > hang on to the front group. Basso has not lost time on the road to any
    > > Ullrich or Armstrong. If Ullrich was to ignore Armstrong and go for only
    > > second place, then he prabably could attack Basso. I think Ullrich will

    > not
    > > attack unless he can get Armstrong and if that happens Ullrich may find
    > > himself OTB again.

    > Tomorrow Ullrich and Armstrong will be the final break and Ivan will fall
    > off the pace.

    It could happen but I really think today was his "jour sans". Basso recovers
    really well, or has in the past. If it is the mental pressure we saw today,
    then you could be right. The next few stages will be where Basso learns the
    most about what it will take for him to win this event in the future. It is
    exciting to think we might be seeing the next Tour dynasty. It blows my mind
    that Ullrich is likely going to finish second again!!! It's as if he has
    some kind of natural inertia towards the second tier of the Tour podium.
    Then again, he is a great rider and Lance is just that much better in the
    Tour. The margins at this level are quite small and it looks like Ullrich
    just peaked about a week too late. There have been some great rides this
    year and the only letdown is the course. This is the worst I have ever seen
    in terms of showcasing the talent of the riders.