Basso Vs. Ullrich: 2 Paths To Paris

barnstorm said:
Vino's LS team looks to be amazing for him in the tour. Contador just crushed the field in Romandie today, Beloki has been within two minutes on the past two stages and had a great Vuelta as a domestique for He(po)ras last year. He is not a contender anymore but is turning out to be a great domestique. I can't recall all the names right now but they seem to be the repository for young spanish climbing talent these days. The team will be there and will be able to support him if Saiz can keep his head on straight when ordering them all around.
they picked up kaschekin too, who was in the top fifteen or so of last years tour, as was jorg jaksche, if they all ride for vino (and dont chase him down like some of his former teammates) i think he could very well

moviekindoflife said:
they picked up kaschekin too, who was in the top fifteen or so of last years tour, as was jorg jaksche, if they all ride for vino (and dont chase him down like some of his former teammates) i think he could very well
Salvoldelli is on form and Danielson is the wild card for DC. I think both will do well.

But how can Salvo go up 15-20% climbs with Cunego Diluca Simoni and Rujano who are all under 5'6" and like under 130 pounds? I mean these guys are midgets.

hombredesubaru said:
Salvoldelli is on form and Danielson is the wild card for DC. I think both will do well.

But how can Salvo go up 15-20% climbs with Cunego Diluca Simoni and Rujano who are all under 5'6" and like under 130 pounds? I mean these guys are midgets.
He doesn't have too, at least not on all of them. He can take time out of them in the time trials. And for all the climbs that aren't mountain top finishes he lets the small guys go and then catches them on the descent. Thats basically what happened last year. This year it will be different, Basso won't get nailed by illness (hopefully).

Eldrack said:
He doesn't have too, at least not on all of them. He can take time out of them in the time trials. And for all the climbs that aren't mountain top finishes he lets the small guys go and then catches them on the descent. Thats basically what happened last year. This year it will be different, Basso won't get nailed by illness (hopefully).
Is Basso a midget too ? :D

jhuskey said:
Yes,he is an unusually tall midget.
Ah yes, tall midgets. Quite common in the NBA.:D

How did we get on to Midgets, NBA, Il Falco, etc... in a thread that's titled Basso vs. Ullrich or BvU2PtoP ? I love this forum. :D

lw

limerickman said:
JH that's a classic reply !

tears of laughter here!

I'm serious, his parents are freakish tall midgets too. It's all genetic.

Okay with all this midget talk, a little serious discussion here:

David Brent: ''Look, whether or not [he] is indeed a midget, or a dwarf--''
Warehouse guy getting fired: ''no he's a midget''

David Brent (serious): ''what's the difference?''

Guy getting fired: ''well, a dwarf is someone who has disproportionally short arms and legs--''

Brent (gesturing): ''oh right nununu, like 'at, yeah yeah''

Guy getting fired: ''it's caused by a hormone deficiency''

Brent: ''yeah, bloody hormones, yeah.''

Guy getting fired: ''a midget is still a dwarf, but their arms and legs are in proportion.''

Gareth: ''So......what's an Elf?''

...and after about 30 takes, Brent/Ricky Gervais able to get thru that with a straight face and finish out the scene. :D

In this month's ProCycling magazine there is an interview with Ivan Basso which was conducted after Riis saw Ullrich training in Tuscany.

Basso stated: "regardless of how Jan looks now or what his preparation is, he will be ready for the Tour. He will be the best time trailer at the Tour by 2-3 minutes."

sploush said:
check out this comparison of both their chances on
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=3960
I like this guy's view on it
the guy uses "mental toughness" like he knows what he's talking about.

If you're physically prepared and surrounded by a good team - you can win.

If you don't have both those things you're usually screwed.

The last guy to win a tour that didn't owe the greater part of victory to his team was pantani - winning the old school way with devastating solo attacks.

And the last guy to turn up to the tour overweight and win it was never, ever, ever.

The only element where mythical "mental toughness" plays a part is individual time trialling. It's just the most relentless brutal effort and you have to work to stay aero when your body wants move all over the bike to spread the work over different muscle groups.

The rest is having a good team and keeping an eye on GC guys and chasing threatening attacks down.

Much easier nowadays with these gay mikes the riders wear.

whiteboytrash said:
In this month's ProCycling magazine there is an interview with Ivan Basso which was conducted after Riis saw Ullrich training in Tuscany.

Basso stated: "regardless of how Jan looks now or what his preparation is, he will be ready for the Tour. He will be the best time trailer at the Tour by 2-3 minutes."
agreeden...if history tells us anything, Jan gets the ''Augustus Gloop'' kidding in the spring, and he hits the Tour good to go.
I would love to see Basso, Ullrich, and a few others REALLY battle it out in July.
and OLN....PLEASE PLEASE no Armstrong retrospectives! I bet OLN is planning them 'cause they are thinking, ''well, no Lance in the tour, OMFG, no one will watch! Quick, throw together some Lance Retro stuff to fill in and tease for the tour!''
asshats:mad:

Eilert Pilarm said:
agreeden...if history tells us anything, Jan gets the ''Augustus Gloop'' kidding in the spring, and he hits the Tour good to go.
LOL, love the Wonka reference.

Eilert Pilarm said:
and OLN....PLEASE PLEASE no Armstrong retrospectives!
You can bet they will. Phil Liggett wouldn't have it any other way. Watch out for the "what Lance would'a done" as part of the tactical analysis from stages 1-20.

Eilert Pilarm said:
I would love to see Basso, Ullrich, and a few others REALLY battle it out in July
I would too. I just wonder what the attitude of the peleton will be if Basso and CSC hand everybody their ass at the Giro this year. The X factor is Landis and Phonak, maybe Vino\LSW. I just wish they wouldn't talk sponsorship contracts during the season. Phonak is doing well right now and if you have to start worrying about who's going to pay for the PowerBars, that could be distractive.

lw

Jan can train for a short time and get in incredible shape in that short period.
Time will tell if it will be enough to make a mark in the TDF.

I think I can say now,unofficially of course, that Ms. Steinhauser will be Mrs. Ullrich this Fall.
Hey ,he can't expect to be happy and carefree all his life,can he?