Bastards.

PhilO wrote:
> Yes there is - report it to the police. They may or may not do
> something, but if we don't report these things, they will never become
> a priority. Don't just accept it.

There may be CCTV cameras which they may have been picked up on which
you didn't spot so it's always worth it - you haven't got much to lose.
They may have done it to someone else who did get their number, and
your evidence might be all it needs to procescute them.

I don't come across many deliberate attempts to knock me off, but
plenty of near misses by drivers cutting in front or behind me.

peter

On 24 Apr 2006 10:23:15 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>Do you really mean what you said there?

Yes, but see my other reply before your knee jerks uncontrollably...

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 04:23:16 +1000, Chris Armstrong
<[email protected]> wrote:

>BB Wrote:
>> Anyone who reacts in any way - shouting, exaggerated shaking of head,
>> yawning theatrically, clapping etc to a car full of scousers who've
>> just tried to run you over is stupid and deserves what they may get.
>> Doing anything else to annoy them, well that would be the definition
>> of "asking for it".

>So according to you, if you mime a yawn at someone you deserve to get
>run over.

Yes, if you're doing so purely to react to them to show them that you
somehow weren't impressed. Not to say that I woldn't feel sorry for
you, and wouldn't hate the bastards that done it. But there's no
point, NO POINT in doing anything to make a bad situation worse. Way
I see it the bastards are way up the road ahead of you, they got their
jollies. No point angering them further. You disagree?

>Appeasement will get you nowhere.

You speak the truth, but of course not rising to the bait in this case
isn't appeasement in any way, shape or form. It's drawing a line
under a bad situation, controlling your anger, putting it behind you
and perhaps learning to get the licence number next time, which is
something I didn't originally bring up, coz the OP asked us not to.

A few knees being jerked in the group today...

Danny Colyer wrote:
> dkahn400 wrote:
> > I experience some kind of unprovoked assault or attempted
> > assault from a motor vehicle about every 2 months on average.

> I imagine you not to be Caucasian. Might that be a contributory factor?

You imagine wrongly. My surname is Jewish.

--
Dave...

Mr R@t (2.30 zulu-india) wrote:

> and the sort of chap who wins races etc..

Unfortunately not. :-(

--
Dave...

naked_draughtsman wrote:
> PhilO wrote:
> > Yes there is - report it to the police. They may or may not do
> > something, but if we don't report these things, they will never become
> > a priority. Don't just accept it.

> There may be CCTV cameras which they may have been picked up on which
> you didn't spot so it's always worth it - you haven't got much to lose.

That's a good point actually.

--
Dave...

dkahn400 wrote:
> Danny Colyer wrote:
>> dkahn400 wrote:
>>> I experience some kind of unprovoked assault or attempted
>>> assault from a motor vehicle about every 2 months on average.

>> I imagine you not to be Caucasian. Might that be a contributory factor?

> You imagine wrongly. My surname is Jewish.

The term Caucasian is so vague as to make it impossible to say.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasian_race

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

Simon Bennett wrote:

> Surprisingly, Dave's actually a honky.

.... and to prove it Mseries has a flattering photo of me on his
website. This is about 98 hours into LEL.
<http://www.mseries.plus.com/lel2005/tn/IMAG0032.JPG.html>

> He rides a _lot_ of miles, so that may be the reason -- greater exposure to
> the twunts.

Often out late on Friday and Saturday nights too.

--
Dave...

Mobile phones with a camera are useful. Even taking a normal phone out
and holding it as if you were taking a picture can drastically calm
motorists down when they start playing silly beggars.

In article <[email protected]>, Danny
Colyer ([email protected]) wrote:
> dkahn400 wrote:
> > I experience some kind of unprovoked assault or attempted
> > assault from a motor vehicle about every 2 months on average.

> I imagine you not to be Caucasian. Might that be a contributory factor?

Big difference between Kahn & Khan...

Maffeo Barberini (1568-1644) was made entirely of salmon.

BB wrote:
> On 24 Apr 2006 10:23:15 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
> >Do you really mean what you said there?

> Yes.

I agree with you that trouble is only to be expected if you react
to provocation, but it's the "deserves what they may get" that
I am querying. You appear to be saying something beyond
just that the victim is asking for trouble, you are saying that the
victim is *morally responsible* for that trouble, which would be
a fitting punishment for their lack of cool.

This sentiment would be false, and offensively so, if you really
meant what you said, why is why I doubt that you do.

No knees jerking here.

--
Gareth Rees

On 25/04/2006 11:50, spindrift said,
> Mobile phones with a camera are useful. Even taking a normal phone out
> and holding it as if you were taking a picture can drastically calm
> motorists down when they start playing silly beggars.

Now there's a thought!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

"MichaelB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> A gang of scouse twats in a Ford Focus tried to knock me off my bike
> yesterday which they found very amusing. I shouted what I thought of
> them and then tried to get off after them because there were two sets
> of lights coming up. If it wasn't for the wind I probably would have
> got them.

Ummm.... beware of chasing gangs. What will you do with them when you catch
them???

> I was in a foul mood after that and I probably would have ended up
> trying to attack the driver. I was on the ball enough to be thinking
> about trying to get his car keys and throwing them on the railway
> tracks so they couldn't run me over again.
>
> I dont normally get angry but this guy blatantly tried to drive into me
> from behind and they were all laughing - I heard the little *****
> coming. The little cowards then just zoomed off. I'm still so angry I
> honestly think I would have punched someone for the first time in my
> adult life :mad:
>
> I didn't clock the reg because I was too busy shouting at them which is
> easy to criticise now.

Perhaps you were lucky not to have caught them.... :eek:)

Paul Boyd <[email protected]> wrote:
| On 25/04/2006 11:50, spindrift said,
| > Mobile phones with a camera are useful. Even taking a normal phone out
| > and holding it as if you were taking a picture can drastically calm
| > motorists down when they start playing silly beggars.
|
| Now there's a thought!

It might get your phone "appropriated", though but.

As a phobile-less person I have wondered whether it'd
be safer to carry a dead phone to buy off a mugger.

"dkahn400" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> PhilO wrote:
>> dkahn400 wrote:
>> >There was nothing personal in the attack, it was simply
>> > because you were a vulnerable target. It happens to cyclists
>> > frequently.

>> Not frequently at all. Very, very rare in fact.

> Really? I experience some kind of unprovoked assault or attempted
> assault from a motor vehicle about every 2 months on average.

Much more frequently than that, difference being the abuse is usually
verbal, and emanates from the occupants of the vehicle, and not the vehicle
itself.

But then, I drive a bus....

(.... and have a standard set of stock replies which usually leaves the
abuser gobsmacked, and which the cycling fraternity may wish to adopt...)

---

IanH

Tony Raven wrote:
> dkahn400 wrote:
> > Danny Colyer wrote:
> >> I imagine you not to be Caucasian. Might that be a contributory factor?

> > You imagine wrongly. My surname is Jewish.

> The term Caucasian is so vague as to make it impossible to say.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasian_race

I was simply explaining why I have a name that is easily mistaken for
the Muslim Khan, which is the most common surname in Pakistan and
Afghanistan. Kahn is a variation of Cohen. Other variations include
Kahan, Kagan, Kane, Kaplan and, surprisingly perhaps, Schiff. This is
probably from the days before mass literacy when people would put up
signs to identify their houses. In German-speaking areas Kahns would
display a boat as Kahn coincidentally means boat in German. As they
prospered they may have felt the sign wasn't quite grand enough so
changed it to a ship, thus promoting themselves in German from Kahn to
Schiff.

--
Dave...

ian henden wrote:
> "dkahn400" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> > Really? I experience some kind of unprovoked assault or attempted
> > assault from a motor vehicle about every 2 months on average.
> >

> Much more frequently than that, difference being the abuse is usually
> verbal, and emanates from the occupants of the vehicle, and not the vehicle
> itself.
>
> But then, I drive a bus....

On this occasion I have a lot of sympathy for you, Ian. It's outrageous
that you should be subjected to abuse just for doing a job which is
actually a vital public service.

--
Dave...

"dkahn400" <[email protected]>typed

> I was simply explaining why I have a name that is easily mistaken for
> the Muslim Khan, which is the most common surname in Pakistan and
> Afghanistan. Kahn is a variation of Cohen. Other variations include
> Kahan, Kagan, Kane, Kaplan and, surprisingly perhaps, Schiff. This is
> probably from the days before mass literacy when people would put up
> signs to identify their houses. In German-speaking areas Kahns would
> display a boat as Kahn coincidentally means boat in German. As they
> prospered they may have felt the sign wasn't quite grand enough so
> changed it to a ship, thus promoting themselves in German from Kahn to
> Schiff.

You forgot Coren and Conway (and Katz, I think) ;-)

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

Tony Raven wrote:
> dkahn400 wrote:
>> Danny Colyer wrote:
>>> I imagine you not to be Caucasian. Might that be a contributory
>>> factor?

>> You imagine wrongly. My surname is Jewish.

> The term Caucasian is so vague as to make it impossible to say.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasian_race

i.e. A 'normal' 'white' person, not like those Georgians what I was hanging
out with over the weekend.

It's a bizarre way to describe anyone who's lightly pigmented, given the
very distinctive looks people from the Caucuses have.
--
Ambrose

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
> "dkahn400" <[email protected]>typed

> You forgot Coren and Conway (and Katz, I think) ;-)

Katz and one or two others I knew about, but not Coren or Conway. My
grandfather apparently signed himself Kahn or Kahan as the fancy took
him.

There is also an unrelated Cornish name, Carne.

--
Dave...