batavus monte carlo touring bicycle

stella

Jul 29, 2003
Hey all! I just purchased a batavus monte carlo touring bicycle at a yard sale. It looks to be from the early to mid 1970's. Shifts great, looks to have a new chain, frame is perfect. It was clearly well loved. It will be my new commuter-I start law school in the fall. My colnago (also steel frame) will be brought out rarely, from what I am told :(

Tires are original, cracking at the sides and made in Holland. Anyone know the size? I tried to search on the web w/no luck. Also, anyone have any info re: batavus? I know they used to make mopeds-did not know they made bicycles!

Thanks for your help.

Hey Ive also got a Batavus Monte Carlo. My rims and tires are 27" by 1/4". I hope this helps. I also put a shorter front fork on it and it still accepts the stock wheel and tire. The thing handles like its on rails

stella said:
Hey all! I just purchased a batavus monte carlo touring bicycle at a yard sale. It looks to be from the early to mid 1970's. Shifts great, looks to have a new chain, frame is perfect. It was clearly well loved. It will be my new commuter-I start law school in the fall. My colnago (also steel frame) will be brought out rarely, from what I am told :(

Tires are original, cracking at the sides and made in Holland. Anyone know the size? I tried to search on the web w/no luck. Also, anyone have any info re: batavus? I know they used to make mopeds-did not know they made bicycles!

Thanks for your help.

sorry it has been awhile since I responded...things have been hectic. what type of tires do you use and where did you find them? I still haven't fixed the bike up--the tires are old and cracked. with that said...it does the trick and is fun to ride--for short distances (worried about the tires).

stella

I use a set of Chen Shin CST HP's 27" by 1 1/4". Be aware that I came by the bike from a guy who does just enough to get the bike rolling down the road so the tires may not be available/really crappy. Best of luck to ya.

I just picked up a batavus monte carlo but I dont know anything about it.

The bike is rideable and very straight , it is an off color green with silver lower forks and gold trim. The frame is steel but is not welded it looks to be sweated together with ornate fittings, any info on year and what it should sell for would be a big help, did I get a good bike or get stuck
icon5.gif

aria said:
I just picked up a batavus monte carlo but I dont know anything about it.

The bike is rideable and very straight , it is an off color green with silver lower forks and gold trim. The frame is steel but is not welded it looks to be sweated together with ornate fittings, any info on year and what it should sell for would be a big help, did I get a good bike or get stuck
icon5.gif
Sorry I haven't been here in a long time. You got a great bike however I have been having a little trouble with the front derailer. I'm in the process of geting new stuff on the bike, (i.e. wheels, tires, gears and shift cables). I can't tell you anything about the value simply because I can't find anything myself. I know the bike was made in holland, and that Batavus also made mopeds and that is all I can find info on is the little moped things