Battling punctures

webbhost

Oct 17, 2006
Yet another thread from me lol..

Ok so wehn i got my racing bike, i have found that every few weeks i end up getting a puncture.. what a bummer, maybe its just a co-incidence, but i kept getting them. So i bought some new tyres with a kevlar strip in them, and belive it or not, it reduced them but didn't stop them.

So i have been out again and bought some "Slime" inner strips, a extra layer of lining for your tyres to stop thorns etc.

Now this has worked brilliantly for stopping punctures, i dare say - but im starting to notice a bit of a pattern.

When my inner tubes "do" get punctured, most of the time they are being punctures on a seam on the inner tube, not only that but the punctures are not circular, its more of a split down the seam.

Is this the slime strips that are causing this (i heard that they "can" pinch your inner tube?

Or being on a seam every time, is it more likely to be the brand of inner tube i am using is not very good?

Now i know i will never stop punctures having but i want to know what you people would recommend? Money is not an issue, i am willing to spend on a good set of tyres or good quality inner tube to resolve the problem a little.

Whilst im starting a new thread i might aswell add this in too rather than starting a new one again later - these canisters that are available for your tyres - is one of these canisters meant to fully compress your tyre from a flat or are you meant to pump it up yourself first then use it as a finish off?

I used it on my back tyre once and it made the tyre extremely solid ( a bit too solid) - as i arrived in the carpark of my work place (4 miles) my back tyre burst lol... there was enough air in it to get me all the way across the carpark, and i could hear it spurting out lol - this tells me that i shouldn't be using it to top it off, but when "should" i apply canister?

It won't be the tube that is causing the problem, unless you're using an unknown/inferior brand which may have poor rubber quality (varying thickness etc). The pinch flats may be caused by the strip, or maybe your rim is pinching the tube. Check that the tyres are mounted properly on the rim.

I've never had to use strips or any other protection. I use Conti GP4000 (which utilises Vectran) and I've never had a flat (over 1000km so far). Prior to the Conti's, I used Schwalbe Stelvio's and can't recall getting a flat at all.

Check the following things:
- Check the inside of the tyre for anything sticking out that may cause a flat
- Tyre pressure is critical in preventing flats. Make sure your tyres are inflated to the right level.
- Check that the tyre sits evenly on the rim, ie that it's mounted properly. If you're unsure, deflate the tyre and ensure that the tube is sitting nicely, the tyre is even across the whole rim, then re-inflate.

I don't have experience with Co2 cannisters, but my understanding is that they inflate from flat to full...so not just a top up.

cant remember what brand it was now. Ill look into the " Conti GP4000".. 1000 km without a flat is impressive lol. Im lucky to make 200km lol

webbhost said:
cant remember what brand it was now. Ill look into the " Conti GP4000".. 1000 km without a flat is impressive lol. Im lucky to make 200km lol

I'm also riding gp4000's and love em...

Anyway, use the 16gm Cartridges when you get a Puncture in short bursts, otherwise they can freeze up, only inflate untill your tire has enough pressure (just like any other Pump)...
The funny thing about Co2 Gas is that it will leak faster, so when you get home, let the Co2 out and re-inflate with real air....Co2 should only be used to get you home...and use a tire Pump with a Gauge, 100-110 psi should be enough...

Take the Tubes and Tires off completely and check the rim strip which goes between the tube and rim..look for anything that could cause a puncture, then, check the inside of your tire for thorns/glass etc...

Before you put the tube into the tire inflate it by mouth a little to make it round, this will help prevent pinch flats...

Hope this helps...how's the training going anyway? Good I hope!!

2000km without a flat
smile.gif

I have a feeling that my luck will run out, at the worst possible time and place one day
biggrin.gif

Walrus said:
I've never had to use strips or any other protection. I use Conti GP4000 (which utilises Vectran) and I've never had a flat (over 1000km so far).

Ditto on Conti GP 4000, I have not had a puncture since I switched to them (over 1 k miles and counting)

webbhost said:

I've used the GP4000's, and they don't seem to be any more flat resistant than anything else. I punctured them quite a bit. What bugged me most about the GP4000's, though, was the poor sidewall construction.

Right now I'm using Michelin Krylion clinchers 700x25, which seem to resist cuts and punctures well but have sort of a kack ride......and on my tubie wheels, which are used 99% of the time, I'm using Vittoria Evo Corsa CX tubies. The Evo Corsas have no real puncture protection built in, but they do as well, at least in my experience, as the GP4000 Conti clinchers do. Note that I used 25mm GP4000's, and the Evo Corsa's are 22mm.

I'm keeping an eye on the Schwalbe Ultremo's that are coming out, both the clinchers and the tubies. Schwalbe hints that the Conti vectran belt is not optimal and that their belt is completely different. We'll see. A guy on Weight Weenies and on Fairwheel Bikes forum (pKor) is currently testing a set of Ultremo clinchers. He's loving them so far, saying they roll well and grip very well in the wet.

I'm also anxiously awaiting Dugasts new SP tubie that is supposed to have uber flat protection.....we'll see.

Someone did mention inflation pressure, and they were right to do so. Inflating to the right pressure is important in flat protection, even with punctures.