Bay area rides for an out-of-towner

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Kbh, Feb 5, 2003.

  1. Kbh

    Kbh Guest

    I have the pleasure of working for a large Silicon Valley firm who will be sending me to training
    for 4 non-consecutive weeks in San Jose from February through June this year. As I'll be in town for
    a week at a time, I was thinking of flying in a day early or out a day late so I could maybe do a
    nice 30-50 mile ride somewhere. So I'm looking for a) ideas on nice (not too brutal) rides of this
    length in the San Jose area, and b) places I can rent a decent road bike. I may bring mine at some
    point, but for now, I'd rather just rent.

    Thanks,

    Kyle

    Tags:

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "KBH" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > I have the pleasure of working for a large Silicon Valley firm who will be sending me to training
    > for 4 non-consecutive weeks in San Jose from February through June this year. As I'll be in town
    > for a week at a time, I was thinking of flying in a day early or out a day late so I could maybe
    > do a nice 30-50 mile ride somewhere.

    There are alot of nice rides near San Jose. East of the city of Mount Hamilton, which is a not very
    steep 4000 foot climb in about 20 miles.

    Northwest of the city are the Santa Cruz mountains with many nice loop rides with views of both the
    Pacific Ocean and the San Francisco Bay. Ride up Highway 9 (2500 foot climb) then head north on
    Skyline. Return via the flat lands.

    South of the city is rolling farm country. The very well run Tierra Bella century ride (35, 60, 100,
    or 130 miles) covers this area on April 5. The century is run by the Almaden Cycle Touring Club,
    which is probably the biggest recreational cycling club in San Jose. They offer free group rides in
    various lengths, every day of the week. Check out their web site for details: www.actc.org

    Ken

  3. Terry Morse

    Terry Morse Guest

    Ken <[email protected]> wrote:

    > There are alot of nice rides near San Jose. East of the city of Mount Hamilton, which is a not
    > very steep 4000 foot climb in about 20 miles.

    To help familiarize yourself with the area, I have a cycling map of Santa Clara County on
    my web site:

    http://www.terrymorse.com/bike/scmap/

    I don't know of any San Jose shops that rent road bikes. Maybe somebody at ACTC would know of one.
    If you can't find one, the Bike Station in Palo Alto rents road bikes:

    http://www.paloaltobicycles.com/bikestation.html

    You could take the train to Palo Alto, rent a bike, then take the train back. All trains have
    bicycle cars.

  4. > You could take the train to Palo Alto, rent a bike, then take the train back. All trains have
    > bicycle cars.

    Except on weekends, since they're doing the track upgrading for the next couple of years.

    > > There are alot of nice rides near San Jose. East of the city of Mount Hamilton, which is a not
    > > very steep 4000 foot climb in about 20 miles.

    Great climb, but not everyone enjoys the descent, as it can have quite a bit of gravel and also
    specializes in a peculiar invisible pothole phenomenon found nowhere else.

    "Terry Morse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Ken <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > There are alot of nice rides near San Jose. East of the city of Mount Hamilton, which is a not
    > > very steep 4000 foot climb in about 20 miles.
    >
    > To help familiarize yourself with the area, I have a cycling map of Santa Clara County on my
    > web site:
    >
    > http://www.terrymorse.com/bike/scmap/
    >
    > I don't know of any San Jose shops that rent road bikes. Maybe somebody at ACTC would know of one.
    > If you can't find one, the Bike Station in Palo Alto rents road bikes:
    >
    > http://www.paloaltobicycles.com/bikestation.html
    >
    > You could take the train to Palo Alto, rent a bike, then take the train back. All trains have
    > bicycle cars.
    > --
    > terry morse Palo Alto, CA http://www.terrymorse.com/bike/

  5. Rick Warner

    Rick Warner Guest

    > > You could take the train to Palo Alto, rent a bike, then take the train back. All trains have
    > > bicycle cars.
    >
    > Except on weekends, since they're doing the track upgrading for the next couple of years.

    Just to clarify in case anyone is confused. It is not that they do not run bicycle cars on weekends;
    it is that there are NO trains on weekends. That will be true for another 15-18 months or so.

    - rick "Who lives next to the train station for convenience" warner