BB axle install

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Joseph S., May 26, 2003.

  1. Joseph S.

    Joseph S. Guest

    While re-installing an older bottom bracket I noticed the axle can go in either end first. Does it
    matter which way the axle goes in? Only markings I see are stamped on one end it says "3R". help
    needed and appreciated.

    Joseph S.

    Tags:

  2. Joseph S. wrote:
    > While re-installing an older bottom bracket I noticed the axle can go in either end first. Does it
    > matter which way the axle goes in? Only markings I see are stamped on one end it says "3R". help
    > needed and appreciated.

    I belive the 3R size is symmetrical, but, in any case, there is an easy way to know which whay they
    face. This is true of all bottom brackets that I'm aware of.

    If you imagine it installed in a transparent bicycle, the marking should read right-side-up to the
    rider looking down.

    Sheldon "Wouldn't A Transparent Bike Be Cool!" Brown
    | Take sides! Always take sides! | You will sometimes be wrong--but the man who | refuses to take
    | sides must _always_ be wrong. | Heaven save us from poltroons who fear | to make a choice.
    | --Robert A. Heinlein |
    +--------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts

  3. Joseph S.

    Joseph S. Guest

    I did measure it and yes it is symmetrical. Thanks for the tip on axle print reading. I'm sure it
    will come in handy on future servicing.

    Joseph S.

  4. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "Sheldon Brown" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Sheldon "Wouldn't A Transparent Bike Be Cool!" Brown

    It's been done, and even gone one better. It was described in an episode of "Scientific American
    Frontiers"

    http://www.pbs.org/saf/1309/segments/1309-1.htm

    "In his course called "How to Make (Almost) Anything," Gershenfeld's students fabricate tangible
    objects from the plans they design on computers, using computer-controlled machines to cut through
    materials ranging from plastic to steel. Alan tries out a one-of-a-kind bicycle made by one student
    based on a model of Matisse's Blue Nude Number Two."

  5. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Joseph S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > While re-installing an older bottom bracket I noticed the axle can go in either end first. Does it
    > matter which way the axle goes in? Only markings
    > see are stamped on one end it says "3R". help needed and appreciated.

    A type "R" is more asymmetric than most (25mm left, 42mm right) . Long side on the right.

  6. On Mon, 26 May 2003 21:07:00 GMT, "Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Sheldon Brown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >>>
    >> Sheldon "Wouldn't A Transparent Bike Be Cool!" Brown
    >
    >It's been done, and even gone one better. It was described in an episode of "Scientific American
    >Frontiers"
    >
    >http://www.pbs.org/saf/1309/segments/1309-1.htm
    >
    >"In his course called "How to Make (Almost) Anything," Gershenfeld's students fabricate tangible
    >objects from the plans they design on computers, using computer-controlled machines to cut through
    >materials ranging from plastic to steel. Alan tries out a one-of-a-kind bicycle made by one student
    >based on a model of Matisse's Blue Nude Number Two."

    Damn... there goes another dream!