Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

BB bearing mount woes

Started by Ted Bennett · · Last activity · 5 posts · 175 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
25 September 2007
Last activity
25 September 2007
Original author
Ted Bennett
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
175
Views / 30 days
3

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I seek the wisdom of the hive. . .

    I have a twenty-two year old bike, which I like and would like to
    continue to use. It's a welded steel Fat Chance, and the BB spindle is
    carried on two "sealed" bearings and located laterally by collars. The
    bearings orinally were pressed into the BB shell but over the years have
    developed a slight looseness between the bearing and the BB shell,
    manifested as a slight rocking and clicking with each pedal stroke. Not
    really a functional problem but is irritating and is slowly worsening.

    The bearings themselves are fine, and replacing them won't solve this.

    I tried installing metal foil around the bearings in an attempt to make
    them fit tighter, which did work but only for a short time until it was
    ejected, likely by precession.

    A (not bicycle) mechanic suggested staking the mounting, by deforming
    the mount with a punch and hammer. That sounded somewhat destructive,
    so I declined that advice.

    Filling with bronze and recutting the seats would work fine but would
    ruin the paint and be more costly than I would like.

    Suggestions appreciated.

    --
    Ted Bennett

  2. Ted Bennett said:

    I seek the wisdom of the hive. . .

    I have a twenty-two year old bike, which I like and would like to
    continue to use. It's a welded steel Fat Chance, and the BB spindle is
    carried on two "sealed" bearings and located laterally by collars. The
    bearings orinally were pressed into the BB shell but over the years have
    developed a slight looseness between the bearing and the BB shell,
    manifested as a slight rocking and clicking with each pedal stroke. Not
    really a functional problem but is irritating and is slowly worsening.

    The bearings themselves are fine, and replacing them won't solve this.

    I tried installing metal foil around the bearings in an attempt to make
    them fit tighter, which did work but only for a short time until it was
    ejected, likely by precession.

    A (not bicycle) mechanic suggested staking the mounting, by deforming
    the mount with a punch and hammer. That sounded somewhat destructive,
    so I declined that advice.

    Filling with bronze and recutting the seats would work fine but would
    ruin the paint and be more costly than I would like.

    Suggestions appreciated.

    --
    Ted Bennett

    retaining compound?
    http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=825-8240&PMPXNO=949330&PARTPG=INLMK32

  3. Loctite 270 Stud and Bearing Mount.

  4. "Ted Bennett" wrote: (clip) A (not bicycle) mechanic suggested staking the
    mounting, by deforming the mount with a punch and hammer. That sounded
    somewhat destructive, so I declined that advice.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    It's not destructive. It would probably fix it. It's the next best thing to
    knurling, which you can't do.

    Or use the proper grade of Loc-tite.

  5. Ted Bennett said:

    I seek the wisdom of the hive. . .

    I have a twenty-two year old bike, which I like and would like to
    continue to use. It's a welded steel Fat Chance, and the BB spindle is
    carried on two "sealed" bearings and located laterally by collars. The
    bearings orinally were pressed into the BB shell but over the years have
    developed a slight looseness between the bearing and the BB shell,
    manifested as a slight rocking and clicking with each pedal stroke. Not
    really a functional problem but is irritating and is slowly worsening.

    The bearings themselves are fine, and replacing them won't solve this.

    I tried installing metal foil around the bearings in an attempt to make
    them fit tighter, which did work but only for a short time until it was
    ejected, likely by precession.

    A (not bicycle) mechanic suggested staking the mounting, by deforming
    the mount with a punch and hammer. That sounded somewhat destructive,
    so I declined that advice.

    Filling with bronze and recutting the seats would work fine but would
    ruin the paint and be more costly than I would like.

    Suggestions appreciated.

    Not knowing how loose it is, outside-bicycles solutions for similar
    problems include using a filler/lock such as StaBond/Loktite 262 or
    cutting to the next available bearing case size or cutting larger to
    allow a sleeve outside the case. Or of course merely knurling/ staking
    the shell.

    My remembrance of early Chris Chance frames (nice workmanship!) is that
    the BB shell is kinda thin so there may not be a solution that's quick,
    cheap, painless and permanent. On a thin shell, filling and recutting
    may only start the process of the shell deforming all over again.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.