BB Bearings

randall0069

Aug 12, 2003
After exploding another bearing ring in my BB due to sand infiltration - I like riding on the beach when there's a beach around to ride on. I'm wondering if I should switch to a sealed bearing unit. How much more reliable are they? Is the added cost worth it? $1.50 canadian for a replacement bearing ring is cheap and they're a piece of cake to install but dang do ya ever look silly walking your wheels off the beach with a seized crank. Any input would be appreciated!

Originally posted by randall0069
After exploding another bearing ring in my BB due to sand infiltration - I like riding on the beach when there's a beach around to ride on. I'm wondering if I should switch to a sealed bearing unit. How much more reliable are they? Is the added cost worth it? $1.50 canadian for a replacement bearing ring is cheap and they're a piece of cake to install but dang do ya ever look silly walking your wheels off the beach with a seized crank. Any input would be appreciated!

Front fender may look silly too, but it would keep a lot of sand from tossing back from your front tire.
Sealed units vary from very good for units like Phile Wood to not so very good like the cheap Shimano units. You could give a Shimano unit a try and see if the time save walking and working on service pays for the investment.