BB Conversion - external to square taper

billy1974

Jun 14, 2004
I have a 2005 Cannondale R900, which came with a Truvativ crank and bottom bracket (external). I would like to replace the crank with a Campy Veloce setup (square taper). Is it possible to retrofit the Truvativ external BB with a Campy? If yes, what measurements must I keep in mind when specing the new parts?

billy1974 said:
I have a 2005 Cannondale R900, which came with a Truvativ crank and bottom bracket (external). I would like to replace the crank with a Campy Veloce setup (square taper). Is it possible to retrofit the Truvativ external BB with a Campy? If yes, what measurements must I keep in mind when specing the new parts?
Yes, you can make the change ...

Presuming your current crank is a Double, and the Q-factor is 150mm, then you need an asymmetric 111mm CAMPAGNOLO BB (Centaur, Veloce Mirage, or Xenon) + the Campagnolo crankset ...

I believe the spindle length for a Veloce Triple crank is 118mm ...

You will want the BB cups with ENGLISH threads (1.370 x 24) -- the driveside (i.e., chainring side) of the BB has LEFT HAND threads ... the non-driveside has normal, RIGHT HAND threads.

billy1974 said:

If the crank is a double, 111mm Campagnolo BB. The ones available now are Centaur, triple bearing, really nice. Don't use a Record or Chorus for a triple, even tho 111mm, they are not symmetrical. The Centaur is(as is the Campagnolo AC-H(Alloy Cups-Hollow axle), otherwise known as a 'Veloce' BB). If the crank is a triple, with the Cannondale seattube diameter, use a Centaur in 115mm length, not for q factor but to allow enough inward travel of the FD to get the chain to the small ring..again for the triple. BB is english threaded.