BB Cup removal

B.B.

Guest
I was test-fitting a cup--screwed in, snuggled lightly with a wrench,
and now it's seized. Anyone have any tips on getting the ******* loose?
I can't thread a bolt and use that as a grip because this cup has
bearings retained in it.
I suppose I could dig out the ring, take out the balls, and do the
bolt thing, but I'm hoping someone might know a less aggravating way and
I don't know if that would free up enough room anyway.

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/

"B.B." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...
> I was test-fitting a cup--screwed in, snuggled lightly with a wrench,
> and now it's seized. Anyone have any tips on getting the ******* loose?
> I can't thread a bolt and use that as a grip because this cup has
> bearings retained in it.
> I suppose I could dig out the ring, take out the balls, and do the
> bolt thing, but I'm hoping someone might know a less aggravating way and
> I don't know if that would free up enough room anyway.
>
> --
> B.B. --I am not a goat! thegoat4 at airmail dot net
> http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/

You could try heating it. Aluminium expands at twice the rate of steel.
let it soak overnight in some kind of fine oil. Diesel fuel is one of the
best penetrating fluids. Diesel fuel is safe too. It's common for welders to
weld up half full tanks.

Marty

In article <[email protected]>,
"Marty Wallace" <[email protected]> wrote:

[...]

>You could try heating it. Aluminium expands at twice the rate of steel.
>let it soak overnight in some kind of fine oil. Diesel fuel is one of the
>best penetrating fluids. Diesel fuel is safe too. It's common for welders to
>weld up half full tanks.
>
>Marty

Actually, this frame is steel. But I like the diesel idea--I'll try
it tomorrow.
I'm also going to try to build a spanner type contraption for future
use if I can find some suitable scrap lying around. Three grade 8 bolts
and a good steel bar ought to do it.

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/