BB installation. Best lube?

PeterF

Sep 13, 2004
I have a Cannondale aluminum frame and a Campy Record (sq taper..sure it's old school but I still think it's the best system). When I install it, I use Park Anti seize compound which is recommended for alum on alum applications, however after 1,500 miles or so it starts to click. Once I remove the bb, clean it and reinstall with some fresh compound the click goes away... but it returns again. Does anyone have a compound they use to install bb's that lasts longer than what is generally a third of a season for me? I have used loctite blue, and although it lasted a little longer, it eventually dried up and the removal was much more difficult than with the anti seize. I have other friends that use plumbers tape and swear by it (never tried it and am skeptical). I would appreciate any advice. My main concern is that there are only so many times you can remove the soft alloy cups of a Record BB before it becomes stripped. But a clicking bb is like slow death too...

Thoughts?

PeterF said:
I have a Cannondale aluminum frame and a Campy Record (sq taper..sure it's old school but I still think it's the best system). When I install it, I use Park Anti seize compound which is recommended for alum on alum applications, however after 1,500 miles or so it starts to click. Once I remove the bb, clean it and reinstall with some fresh compound the click goes away... but it returns again. Does anyone have a compound they use to install bb's that lasts longer than what is generally a third of a season for me? I have used loctite blue, and although it lasted a little longer, it eventually dried up and the removal was much more difficult than with the anti seize. I have other friends that use plumbers tape and swear by it (never tried it and am skeptical). I would appreciate any advice. My main concern is that there are only so many times you can remove the soft alloy cups of a Record BB before it becomes stripped. But a clicking bb is like slow death too...

Thoughts?
Depending on how tightly the BB cups fit in your BB, I believer the TEFLON TAPE may indeed be the solution you are looking for ...

N.B. The threading on some BB shells is too tight to allow the ultra-thin tape to be used ... a roll of the tape is inexpensive.

PeterF said:

Thoughts?

Make sure you tap the right hand cup OFF the BB assembly, grease into there(not antisieze). Make sure the BB shell is prepped, faced, as many aluminum frames need this. Grease into left side cup also(the BB cup, not the frame) and then antisieze is OK for the BB shell of the frame. Wrap teflon tape onto the threads, little bit, couple of wraps and install BB cups TIGHT.

Dry BB spindle, installed to torque spec. I use 30 ft-lbs, DRY spindle. Grease under and over the crank bolt washer, grease on the crank bolt.