BB Question

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by g19glock1, Jun 5, 2003.

  1. g19glock1

    g19glock1 New Member

    Joined:
    May 24, 2003
    All things being equal on different mfg's LWB's, how much difference does BB height make, and what are the differences?

    thanks for the comments. I appreciate learning about this stuff. :confused:

    Tags:

  2. IMO BB height is more a question of what your comfortable with or what you can become comfortable
    with this is true with all aspects of recumbents, BB height, seats, seat angle, HB position etc.
    Lower BB bikes have a shorter learning curve, for most people. Put a novice on a V2 and then a
    STRATUS and you will see what I mean. I'm faster on the V2 than the STRATUS... BUT that could also
    be that since I rarely have ridden a LBB bike for any length of time, my "bentistic musclarity" is
    developed for HBB bikes. I am however more stable at slow speeds on a STRATUS vs. a V2.
    Inc 1-800-586-6645 "g19glock1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > All things being equal on different mfg's LWB's, how much difference does BB height make, and what
    > are the differences?
    >
    > thanks for the comments. I appreciate learning about this stuff. :confused:
    >

    > --
    > G19 and a V-Rex

  3. Cbb

    Cbb Guest

    A higher BB allows you to recline the seat further which should reduce the chance of recumbent butt
    (numb buttocks when riding hard), and improve aero dynamics. A lower BB should be easier to learn
    and make getting your feet down at stops easier. A more laid back LWB with high BB will probably
    require handle bars with more tiller stearing which may be more difficult to handle. Craig

    g19glock1 <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > All things being equal on different mfg's LWB's, how much difference does BB height make, and what
    > are the differences?
    >
    > thanks for the comments. I appreciate learning about this stuff. :confused:

  4. I road a STRATUS 5000 miles. Am now riding a V2 with 1800 miles on
    it. The STRATUS with low BB easy to ride and fairly fast. The V2 fast fast with high BB.and stiffer
    frame. Bob Milligan V2

  5. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    As BB height increases and raises the feet and legs into the body/trunk frontal area then the body's
    frontal area decreases. Aero drag is a function of frontal area, speed squared and a shape
    coefficient. (Note; speed and NOT velocity. Velocity is a vector dependent on some external
    reference frame.)

    I believe that as BB height increases so to does the tendency to 'leg suck'.

    "g19glock1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > All things being equal on different mfg's LWB's, how much difference does BB height make, and what
    > are the differences?
    >
    > thanks for the comments. I appreciate learning about this stuff. :confused:
    >

    > --
    > G19 and a V-Rex

  6. bentcruiser

    bentcruiser New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2003
    I cannot scientifically tell you. But in my own experience, a BB that is higher allows me to generate much more power. But at the same time, I know people with low BBs that can generate a lot of power as well.

    It's a personal thing, really.

  7. Keleigh

    Keleigh Guest

    Or linkage steering...

    Keleigh

    "cbb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > A higher BB allows you to recline the seat further which should reduce the chance of recumbent
    > butt (numb buttocks when riding hard), and improve aero dynamics. A lower BB should be easier
    > to learn and make getting your feet down at stops easier. A more laid back LWB with high BB
    > will probably require handle bars with more tiller stearing which may be more difficult to
    > handle. Craig
    >
    > g19glock1 <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > All things being equal on different mfg's LWB's, how much difference does BB height make, and
    > > what are the differences?
    > >
    > > thanks for the comments. I appreciate learning about this stuff. :confused:

  8. Keleigh

    Keleigh Guest

    What's 'leg suck'?

    "Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > As BB height increases and raises the feet and legs into the body/trunk frontal area then the
    > body's frontal area decreases. Aero drag is a function of frontal area, speed squared and a shape
    > coefficient. (Note; speed and NOT velocity. Velocity is a vector dependent on some external
    > reference frame.)
    >
    > I believe that as BB height increases so to does the tendency to 'leg
    suck'.

    > "g19glock1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > All things being equal on different mfg's LWB's, how much difference does BB height make, and
    > > what are the differences?
    > >
    > > thanks for the comments. I appreciate learning about this stuff. :confused:
    > >

    > > --
    > > G19 and a V-Rex

  9. Don

    Don Guest

    Leg Suck is when your foot comes off the pedal and hits the ground and you run over yourself (or
    parts thereof). It is rather cartoonish to anybody watching but not a bit funny to the "suckee". You
    will know it if it happens to you. More common for those riding platform pedals with no toe straps.

    news:<%[email protected]>...