BB Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

g19glock1

May 24, 2003
All things being equal on different mfg's LWB's, how much difference does BB height make, and what are the differences?

thanks for the comments. I appreciate learning about this stuff. :confused:

IMO BB height is more a question of what your comfortable with or what you can become comfortable
with this is true with all aspects of recumbents, BB height, seats, seat angle, HB position etc.
Lower BB bikes have a shorter learning curve, for most people. Put a novice on a V2 and then a
STRATUS and you will see what I mean. I'm faster on the V2 than the STRATUS... BUT that could also
be that since I rarely have ridden a LBB bike for any length of time, my "bentistic musclarity" is
developed for HBB bikes. I am however more stable at slow speeds on a STRATUS vs. a V2.
--
Jude....///Bacchetta AERO St. Michaels and Tilghman Island.. Maryland Wheel Doctor Cycle and Sports,
Inc 1-800-586-6645 "g19glock1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> All things being equal on different mfg's LWB's, how much difference does BB height make, and what
> are the differences?
>
> thanks for the comments. I appreciate learning about this stuff. :confused:
>
>
>
> --
> G19 and a V-Rex
>
>
> >--------------------------<
> Posted via cyclingforums.com http://www.cyclingforums.com

A higher BB allows you to recline the seat further which should reduce the chance of recumbent butt
(numb buttocks when riding hard), and improve aero dynamics. A lower BB should be easier to learn
and make getting your feet down at stops easier. A more laid back LWB with high BB will probably
require handle bars with more tiller stearing which may be more difficult to handle. Craig

g19glock1 <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> All things being equal on different mfg's LWB's, how much difference does BB height make, and what
> are the differences?
>

I road a STRATUS 5000 miles. Am now riding a V2 with 1800 miles on
it. The STRATUS with low BB easy to ride and fairly fast. The V2 fast fast with high BB.and stiffer
frame. Bob Milligan V2

As BB height increases and raises the feet and legs into the body/trunk frontal area then the body's
frontal area decreases. Aero drag is a function of frontal area, speed squared and a shape
coefficient. (Note; speed and NOT velocity. Velocity is a vector dependent on some external
reference frame.)

I believe that as BB height increases so to does the tendency to 'leg suck'.

"g19glock1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> are the differences?
>
>
>
>
> --
> G19 and a V-Rex
>
>
> >--------------------------<
> Posted via cyclingforums.com http://www.cyclingforums.com

Originally posted by g19glock1
All things being equal on different mfg's LWB's, how much difference does BB height make, and what are the differences?

thanks for the comments. I appreciate learning about this stuff. :confused:

I cannot scientifically tell you. But in my own experience, a BB that is higher allows me to generate much more power. But at the same time, I know people with low BBs that can generate a lot of power as well.

It's a personal thing, really.

Or linkage steering...

Keleigh

"cbb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> A higher BB allows you to recline the seat further which should reduce the chance of recumbent
> butt (numb buttocks when riding hard), and improve aero dynamics. A lower BB should be easier
> to learn and make getting your feet down at stops easier. A more laid back LWB with high BB
> will probably require handle bars with more tiller stearing which may be more difficult to
> handle. Craig
>
> g19glock1 <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > All things being equal on different mfg's LWB's, how much difference does BB height make, and
> > what are the differences?
> >
> > thanks for the comments. I appreciate learning about this stuff. :confused:

What's 'leg suck'?

"Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> As BB height increases and raises the feet and legs into the body/trunk frontal area then the
> body's frontal area decreases. Aero drag is a function of frontal area, speed squared and a shape
> coefficient. (Note; speed and NOT velocity. Velocity is a vector dependent on some external
> reference frame.)
>
> I believe that as BB height increases so to does the tendency to 'leg
suck'.
>
>
> "g19glock1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > All things being equal on different mfg's LWB's, how much difference does BB height make, and
> > what are the differences?
> >
> > thanks for the comments. I appreciate learning about this stuff. :confused:
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > G19 and a V-Rex
> >
> >
> > >--------------------------<
> > Posted via cyclingforums.com http://www.cyclingforums.com
>

Leg Suck is when your foot comes off the pedal and hits the ground and you run over yourself (or
parts thereof). It is rather cartoonish to anybody watching but not a bit funny to the "suckee". You
will know it if it happens to you. More common for those riding platform pedals with no toe straps.

"Keleigh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<%[email protected]>...
> What's 'leg suck'?

Status
Not open for further replies.